Photo

How do you clean your hamster's cage?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Haruka

Haruka

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 08:33 AM

Am I doing this right?

Well, in the afternoon on like.. Saturday or Sunday, I will take out my hamster and put him in his ball and then I separate the cage parts.

I remove ALL the parts so they are small and not so huge.

m_m

While I do that, I let the bathtub fill with hot soapy water and then I wait till it's done. I let the cage sit in the bathtub for about five minutes and then I start cleaning it with a toothbrush and some more soap cause I need it.

I do mine this way, how does everyone else clean theirs? :tomato:

#2 iluvbenji

iluvbenji

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 09:44 AM

well, mine is wire so i just clean the bottom, basically I take out the shavings and replace them, and everyday or two i clean out the shavings in his pee corner.

#3 whitedoggy

whitedoggy

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 04:06 PM

i will change it every tuesday, so by tuesday it's all will be quite stinky.
just take out the bedding and maybe wash the toys when it get too dirty and change their water.
yes i oso put them in a ball before i clean the cages.

#4 hammymad

hammymad

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 10:45 PM

i know where your coming from, my cage ( which i am changing soon ) is a pain to wash i would do the same thing and before i knew it a couple of hours would pass by and i wiuld only be half done.

what cage do you have??? maybe just changing the bedding and giving the rest a wipe down would make cleaning easier???

#5 Haruka

Haruka

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 11:50 PM

I have the Critter Trail one... I dunno which one. But it's not 1 that's for sure. The wheel at the top is a pain to clean! I can't take out the parts so I use a toothbrush to get his poop out of there.

>.>;

I am probably gonna buy a new cage cause I can't clean the water bottle either. Like the inside of the water bottle.

#6 Peaceful_Hammie

Peaceful_Hammie

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 12:16 AM

For my tanks, I basically empty out the tank and wash everything out with regular warm water. Meanwhile, I boil some water. And then I add the boiling hot water and vinegar in. I add some antibacterial soap too. I get my "toilet brush" (ONLY USED FOR CLEANING HAMSTER TANKS...lol) and wash away. I dry off, and they have a beautiful tank.

#7 Haruka

Haruka

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 12:26 AM

Why do you put viniger in it? What does it do?

#8 StuartHamster

StuartHamster

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 03:09 AM

When I clean my Stuarts cage,(its an aquariam) all I do is take all of the stuff out of it, and clean the tank. (food dish, etc.)

Its really easy to clean an aquariam just to let you know.

#9 MartinW

MartinW

Baby Hamster

• 12 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 05:05 AM

I don't have a hamster yet, but when I had mice I cleaned the aquarium with vinegar and baking soda as well.

P_Hammie: Wouldn't putting in boiling water risk cracking the tank? I think I remember cracking one of mine because the hot water was too hot.

Martin

#10 hammymad

hammymad

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 05:54 AM

i think viniger is a safe way to throughly clean your hamsters cage with out risking hammys health.

haruka i think you have a crittertrail x ...

#11 50,000_tears

50,000_tears

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 06:25 AM

i dump out the beding and use a light spray of windex and use scalding hot water and clean the bowl and water bottle w/ hot water

#12 vanessasng

vanessasng

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 08:03 PM

I clean my hammie cage by washing the base cos mine is a wire cage...I'll just wash with tap water and maybe vinegar if there are pee stains...if the toys and wheels are dirty, then i'll wash those too...I usually take about 1-1.5hrs to clean my 7 hammie cages

#13 Peaceful_Hammie

Peaceful_Hammie

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 02:21 AM

P_Hammie: Wouldn't putting in boiling water risk cracking the tank? I think I remember cracking one of mine because the hot water was too hot.

Martin

It would really depend on the glass' temperature. If it's cold and cool, then it would crack. Otherwise, I gradually heat it by using warm water, then hotter water...

#14 Haruka

Haruka

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:50 AM

Oh.. Critter Trail X. Mine's breaking apart! The petting zone especially, it broke off. So we have to tape it, and the water bottle is so weird.. I can't clean the inside.

So... I should use vinegar to clean the pee stains off? I will try next week.

#15 Ham5t3r Crazy

Ham5t3r Crazy

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 01:43 AM

Am I doing this right?

Well, in the afternoon on like.. Saturday or Sunday, I will take out my hamster and put him in his ball and then I separate the cage parts.

I remove ALL the parts so they are small and not so huge.

m_m

While I do that, I let the bathtub fill with hot soapy water and then I wait till it's done. I let the cage sit in the bathtub for about five minutes and then I start cleaning it with a toothbrush and some more soap cause I need it.

I do mine this way, how does everyone else clean theirs? :tomato:

I do the same as you.