Photo

Which Species Is The Best For First Time Owners?

• Please log in to reply
523 replies to this topic

#196 Alex101

Alex101

Baby Hamster

• 1 posts
  • My Syrian(s):1
  • My Dwarf(s):0

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:37 AM

Syrians are the best or teddies bears long haired or short hair Hope you find a good hammie Happy findings!

#197 Jaybee

Jaybee

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Banned
  • 2,195 posts

• My Dwarf(s):1

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

Syrians are the best or teddies bears long haired or short hair Hope you find a good hammie Happy findings!

Teddybear is just a fancy petstore name for Syrian hamster

#198 hamstercrazy

hamstercrazy

Baby Hamster

• 14 posts
  • My Syrian(s):0
  • My Dwarf(s):2

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:22 AM

I have robos and would not suggest them for first hamsters.... they dont really like to be held that much

#199 RavenzzzInTheNight

RavenzzzInTheNight

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts
  • Location:In front of a computer with a hamster in my hand... probably.

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:52 AM

Syrians are easiest to handle and tame, mine has only been in training for about a day, and she's already pretty comfortable with taking bits of food in my hand.

Edited by RavenzzzInTheNight, 11 August 2011 - 06:53 AM.

#200 Tlreslyae

Tlreslyae

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 239 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

I agree that syrians are the best if you want a cuddly hamster, although another breed may suit you better. :)

#201 martunia99

martunia99

Baby Hamster

• 29 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:42 PM

I think you should get a Syrian.
My first one is a Syrian and I love him.
All my friends have Syrians too. Dwarfs are ok too but they don't like to bee touched and petted that much.
Syrians don't have to eat bought food I give mine cucomber,apple, sun flower ans sometimes popcorn.
they can have all types of bedding and right now mine is sleeping in hay(dried grass)The need something to bite on like a twig.
My syrian loves tunnels.
You should get a syrian I think they are the best

#202 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:19 AM

I think you should get a Syrian.
My first one is a Syrian and I love him.
All my friends have Syrians too. Dwarfs are ok too but they don't like to bee touched and petted that much.

Hey now, that's not true at all. ;)
I've had many dwarfs that didn't mind being handled, some that loved to be handled, some the groomed my fingers and one that even liked to sleep in my hands.

#203 Winter_Hamster

Winter_Hamster

Baby Hamster

• 22 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

I currently have two dwarf hamsters, and I personally love winter whites. They are cute and loyal. Easily tamed at least for me. I also have a mottled Campbell hamster and they are both really cute. My winter white is my avatar :)

Edited by Winter_Hamster, 04 September 2011 - 08:37 PM.

#204 Lindsey Michelle

Lindsey Michelle

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • My Syrian(s):16 to 20

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

In my experience while dwarfs are quite adorable and little syrians have been a better fit for ME.
You sort of have to look around, do a little searching, and you should try to adopt a hammy opposed to going to the pet store.
Although some areas don't have shelters.

Syrians like any animal can be snippy and bite, If you don't have a close relationship with your hammy I don't suggest your hands smelling of food while you hold them.
From both mine and my girlfriends experience dwarfs get very attached to only one person.
So if you get one you should probably be the one cleaning the cage and such.
Both of our syrians adore us both and have only bitten whilst food was in our hands or while being very frightened.
Our male however has never even nipped us, he's just a ball of cute fluff who sleeps in a cuppy<3
Our girlie however got snippy once when I picked her up (we had just gotten her) we both wanted to introduce ourselves to her and she panicked.
She has bitten my gf twice, however once she had food scent on her hands and the other time it was while Wendy was preggo.
Wendy loves getting out of her cage and insisted upon it and she decided my girlfriends fingers were tasty. HA. We love our 12 hammies.

#205 Imi&Cinni

Imi&Cinni

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 925 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

Syrians are best for first time hamster owners!
Posted Image

#206 Miss.Hamsterify

Miss.Hamsterify

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 83 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:56 PM

teddy bear hamster about 3months of age

#207 Miss.Hamsterify

Miss.Hamsterify

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 83 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

black bear hamster , males or female

#208 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:49 AM

Please do not double post teddybear24. I have merged your posts.

"Black bears" and "teddy bears" are made up names used by pet stores and back yard breeders often to make more money and/or to make the hamster seem more popular. They are both names for Syrian hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus).

#209 rosablanca‚ô•

rosablanca‚ô•

Baby Hamster

• 3 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:31 AM

I was just wondering because I am getting one for my birthday and I am going to be 13 and I want to know which ones are good with first time owners. please help someone also if I am not on feel free to e-mail the answer to me! :wave:

posts merged by dusty. please use the edit button to edit your posts instead of posting consecutively. thanks!

I think that the Winter White would be amazing. My cousin owns 2, Tiki & Tiko, and they get along perfect. They were naturally tame from the start, and I'm guessing that's how the entire breed is because I went with my other friend to get a Winter White and that thing snuggled up on her shoulder right when we were driving home! Also, they are extremely quiet & peaceful creatures that can take naps on your bed while you do your homework or fall asleep on your shoulder. Also, in a secure bedroom, you can let them chew some wood blocks from their cage, go through toilet paper rolls, have them do agility jumps, teach them tricks, then they will be very occupied, and they'll be okay with it because you can reward them with treats. They are amazing hamsters and I'm sure you'll have fun with one, especially if it's a starter one.

#210 Harmony

Harmony

Baby Hamster

• 20 posts

• Zodiac:

• Mood:

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

If you are a first time owner you should probably consider a Syrian. They CAN bite, but generally they are pretty tame from the start/easier to work with.
Chinese hamsters(which are not dwarf hamsters, but "rat-like" hamsters) are nice. I've owned one before, but he lived almost three years and from what I remember was always healthy. Also a good personality and only nibbled when he wanted back in his cage.
Roborovski hamsters are quite a bit faster and may or may not be tame. From the robos I've owned it is more of a 50/50 chance. I also recommend a female robo.