Photo

My Robo is pregnant... lol

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 Hobbit

Hobbit

Baby Hamster

• 11 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:59 AM

I have three Robos.

Cadbury, Cookie, and Waffle.

After two months of purchasing the three of them, told by the Pet-Store guy they were males I realized Cadbury was a female.

I separated Caddy from the boys and the boys live together peacefully and I actually allow Cadbury to visit the boys every now and then under supervision..

Well the case being I must have brought my attention off of them and something happened because Caddy is preggo. -_- My luck...

Well they all live in tanks and she has lots of space for her babies when they arrive but I've never had one of my hamsters have babies before O.o soo...is there anything I should be concerned about? I called the pet store and they said they could take some babies so that's not an issue. But health/care wise? Any thing that I should do in preparation or anything? I've provided her with lots of nesting material (shredded tissue paper, etc. no cotton.) but is there anything more I should do or help with???

Thanks

#2 HamsterCheeks<3

HamsterCheeks<3

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

I wouldn't let her even play with the boys in the future. Mating can happen in a flash and ripping them apart could get you bitten! I wish you luck with your babies!

Edited by grins&needles, 21 September 2013 - 05:10 AM.

#3 Laughing Lasagna

Laughing Lasagna

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:24 AM

Definitely keep the female away from the males in the future - even though they were from the same litter, mating does happen quickly and you do not want this to happen again! She will be fine away from her siblings, so do not think that they need supervised time together. They usually lose the scent of one another after a short time apart, so she will more than likely not remember them anyway.

I am not experienced in pregnant hamsters, but below are some links made by our more experienced members that could definitely help you.

Here is a great link for you to read up on: Crash Course

The Hamster Pregnancy Care sub-forum also has many great pinned threads, including the one I linked above for you: Hamster Pregnancy Care

If you need any help, never hesitate to ask!!

Edited by Laughing Lasagna, 21 September 2013 - 05:27 AM.

#4 Hobbit

Hobbit

Baby Hamster

• 11 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

I wouldn't let her even play with the boys in the future. Mating can happen in a flash and ripping them apart could get you bitten! I wish you luck with your babies!

Definitely keep the female away from the males in the future - even though they were from the same litter, mating does happen quickly and you do not want this to happen again! She will be fine away from her siblings, so do not think that they need supervised time together. They usually lose the scent of one another after a short time apart, so she will more than likely not remember them anyway.

I am not experienced in pregnant hamsters, but below are some links made by our more experienced members that could definitely help you.

Here is a great link for you to read up on: Crash Course

The Hamster Pregnancy Care sub-forum also has many great pinned threads, including the one I linked above for you: Hamster Pregnancy Care

If you need any help, never hesitate to ask!!

Thank you both! And yeah I just thought it'd be good for them to play every once in a while because it seems like Cadbury gets a little lonely D: but maybe I could introduce her to Smokey, my Syrian ? :)

And I will not let her play with the boys anymore lmfao and thanks for the links~!

#5 Laughing Lasagna

Laughing Lasagna

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:25 AM

Thank you both! And yeah I just thought it'd be good for them to play every once in a while because it seems like Cadbury gets a little lonely D: but maybe I could introduce her to Smokey, my Syrian ? smiley.gif

And I will not let her play with the boys anymore lmfao and thanks for the links~!

I highly suggest to NOT introduce her to any hamster. She will be fine - if you try to put her with a Syrian, your Syrian could kill her. I promise, she is not lonely as long as she has you to care for her. 

#6 Allison

Allison

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

No, do not introduce your hamsters to each other. Especially ones of different species, and especially to a Syrian. The biggest reasons are that Syrians are solitary in nature and will attack and most likely kill your robo because of how much bigger it is than the robo.

Please, do not introduce hamsters for playtime in the future. This goes for hamsters of different species and those of opposite sexes. Introducing hamsters to each other is very risky business and there are a lot of steps that need to be taken to introduce dwarfs to each other properly, and it is not something to be taken lightly.

Edited by Allison, 21 September 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#7 Kim ♥

Kim ♥

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

Hobbit, on 20 Sept 2013 - 6:23 PM, said:Hobbit, on 20 Sept 2013 - 6:23 PM, said:

Thank you both! And yeah I just thought it'd be good for them to play every once in a while because it seems like Cadbury gets a little lonely D: but maybe I could introduce her to Smokey, my Syrian ? smiley.gif

sorry to say this but most all hamsters prefer to be alone please do not ever introduce your dwarf to a syrian they will fight in my view I recommend not keeping hamsters in pairs unless you will be a hawk and watch them every single minute (ok maybe not every minute) so if you ever get another hamster I recommend keeping them separately also syrians are solitary never let them live in pairs they will kill each other and Chinese are possible to be kept in pairs but very likely to hurt each other and fight oh and I just realized people posted before me oh well

Edited by Gunther♥Oats, 21 September 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#8 Jadie

Jadie

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

Woah woah woah! Nobody ever mentioned this and this part is very important!! Red is extremely important!!!

- First off, Selling them to a pet store??? Um they can end up to be snake food.....  Try giving them away on kijiji craigslist or to cose friends and family

- Second, Provide her with nutrients and protein. ( such as cooked egg, ECT.)

- Third, Syrians are solitary just like everybody above said. But You must think robos are dwarfs. They are, but they are solitary exactly like syrians

- Fourth, There is a link in my signiture that is labeled ' Crash Course On Accidental Pregnancy.' You need to look at that before reading the above comments.

- And Fifth, Any hamster, will fight even if they are different speices. Robos, i don't suggest putting them in the same cage with other spieces or the same unless they are from the same litter. DO NOT, EVER PUT SYRIANS AND ROBOS IN THE SAME CAGE!! NOT EVEN FOR A SECOND!!

Syrians are solitary and so are robos. Please do not sell your precious babies to a snake!!! Sell them on kraigslist or Kijiji

You won't regret it!!!

#9 Mika

Mika

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:40 AM

Brownies, with all due respect to you as a fellow member and while I do agree with some portions of your post,

I have to disagree with the comment regarding the idea that the pet store will ultimately give the hamsters up as

food to a snake. It's not a sure sound argument as it will vary from store to store and their individual protocols.

Some pet stores might, and others might know. I know that my local pet store has stopped this procedure since I

started working there and had a good amount of this prevented. It could be the same in other pet stores in which

they don't use hamsters as a meal option. If Hobbit chooses to give up the pups to a pet store when the time comes,

and she believes it to be a good choice, then I would say to let her go by her own judgement. Yes, a listing online

may be better, but ultimately, that choice is not ours, and we can only give suggestions. ^_^

A robo is not solitary actually, they are social hamsters that can live within a pair or a group. They can live alone, yes,

but they can also live in a pair. I mean, Biscotti has how many? :P

I think everyone has touched on the valuable points that need to be touched upon, so I won't repeat anything. ^_^

#10 Kim ♥

Kim ♥

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:40 AM

Brownies, on 20 Sept 2013 - 7:23 PM, said:

Robos, i don't suggest putting them in the same cage with other spieces or the same unless they are from the same litter. DO NOT, EVER PUT SYRIANS AND ROBOS IN THE SAME CAGE!! NOT EVEN FOR A SECOND!!

Syrians are solitary and so are robos.

I would like to correct this I think you are confused yes syrians are solitary but robos aren't really they can live together perfectly and some robos are very social with other robos keeping a pair of sibling robos is actually pretty ok

#11 Laughing Lasagna

Laughing Lasagna

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

Woah woah woah! Nobody ever mentioned this and this part is very important!! Red is extremely important!!!

- First off, Selling them to a pet store??? Um they can end up to be snake food.....  Try giving them away on kijiji craigslist or to cose friends and family

- Third, Syrians are solitary just like everybody above said. But You must think robos are dwarfs. They are, but they are solitary exactly like syrians

- Fourth, There is a link in my signiture that is labeled ' Crash Course On Accidental Pregnancy.' You need to look at that before reading the above comments.

- And Fifth, Any hamster, will fight even if they are different speices. Robos, i don't suggest putting them in the same cage with other spieces or the same unless they are from the same litter. DO NOT, EVER PUT SYRIANS AND ROBOS IN THE SAME CAGE!! NOT EVEN FOR A SECOND!!

Syrians are solitary and so are robos. Please do not sell your precious babies to a snake!!! Sell them on kraigslist or Kijiji

You won't regret it!!!

Great info! However, I actually did link to the Crash Course and the Pregnancy sub-forum in my comment. veryhappy.gif Those threads alone provided the very information you added on here. reading.gif

I also agree with Mika in the fact that not all pet stores will give them to a snake. In my experience, the "low-end" pet stores may do it, but it is not often and usually it is mice (again, this is based on my own experience in my town). Many "company-owned" pet stores that sell a hamster of the wrong gender will take the babies to sell, almost as a complimentary for selling the wrong gender unwillingly. But again, this is based on what I know of here in my own town. 

Of course, adoption is the best route - but it is not always possible. valentine.gif

Edited by Laughing Lasagna, 21 September 2013 - 07:53 AM.

#12 Hobbit

Hobbit

Baby Hamster

• 11 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

I have introduced a dwarf to a Syrian before, not in a cage but outside of one, and they where fine I've never had problems with that but of course I'd never keep them together in a cage or nothing like that.. 

You won't regret it!!!

I asked the local Petco. They said they will not place the hamsters as snake food or sell to people who have that intent (as they have specific mice for snake food lol I've had a snake before I know how that goes) and I do provide all my hamsters with nutritious food and proteins, so that's no concern. And I've introduced Syrians to dwarfs in the past under close supervision, not in a cage of any sort. Even my male Winterwhite gets along fine with the Robos. And I would never sell my hams as snake food. If I thought that would happen I wouldn't sell them. But at Petco, hamsters are 13 dollars each and Robos and Winterwhites are more expensive. Haha. And the rodents intended for snake food are waaaay cheaper.

Thanks everyone!~

#13 Jadie

Jadie

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

Brownies, with all due respect to you as a fellow member and while I do agree with some portions of your post,

I have to disagree with the comment regarding the idea that the pet store will ultimately give the hamsters up as

food to a snake. It's not a sure sound argument as it will vary from store to store and their individual protocols.

Some pet stores might, and others might know. I know that my local pet store has stopped this procedure since I

started working there and had a good amount of this prevented. It could be the same in other pet stores in which

they don't use hamsters as a meal option. If Hobbit chooses to give up the pups to a pet store when the time comes,

and she believes it to be a good choice, then I would say to let her go by her own judgement. Yes, a listing online

may be better, but ultimately, that choice is not ours, and we can only give suggestions. ^_^

A robo is not solitary actually, they are social hamsters that can live within a pair or a group. They can live alone, yes,

but they can also live in a pair. I mean, Biscotti has how many? :P

I think everyone has touched on the valuable points that need to be touched upon, so I won't repeat anything. ^_^

I would like to correct this I think you are confused yes syrians are solitary but robos aren't really they can live together perfectly and some robos are very social with other robos keeping a pair of sibling robos is actually pretty ok

Great info! However, I actually did link to the Crash Course and the Pregnancy sub-forum in my comment. veryhappy.gif Those threads alone provided the very information you added on here. reading.gif

I also agree with Mika in the fact that not all pet stores will give them to a snake. In my experience, the "low-end" pet stores may do it, but it is not often and usually it is mice (again, this is based on my own experience in my town). Many "company-owned" pet stores that sell a hamster of the wrong gender will take the babies to sell, almost as a complimentary for selling the wrong gender unwillingly. But again, this is based on what I know of here in my own town. 

Of course, adoption is the best route - but it is not always possible. valentine.gif

I have introduced a dwarf to a Syrian before, not in a cage but outside of one, and they where fine I've never had problems with that but of course I'd never keep them together in a cage or nothing like that.. 

I asked the local Petco. They said they will not place the hamsters as snake food or sell to people who have that intent (as they have specific mice for snake food lol I've had a snake before I know how that goes) and I do provide all my hamsters with nutritious food and proteins, so that's no concern. And I've introduced Syrians to dwarfs in the past under close supervision, not in a cage of any sort. Even my male Winterwhite gets along fine with the Robos. And I would never sell my hams as snake food. If I thought that would happen I wouldn't sell them. But at Petco, hamsters are 13 dollars each and Robos and Winterwhites are more expensive. Haha. And the rodents intended for snake food are waaaay cheaper.

Thanks everyone!~

ONE to all of you, i meant

#14 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hey guys wave.gif Just going to step in here...

Hobbit, you have received great advice and links to pregnancy care from our fine members! Do visit and read through those threads. They will assist you in caring for your pregnant robo mother!

Also, as stated, it is advised not to let her visit her male siblings any longer, but it seems you have agreed to this already thumbsup.gif This is ideal smiley.gif  You are doing great!

And, yes, introducing your robo to a Syrian is not a good idea at all. Just avoid it. We assure you, your robo is not lonely. Sometimes we think hamsters are like people and absolutely need a friend. It's best to let Mom adjust to living alone until she "pops", and then care for her in the ways outlined in the above mentioned threads.

It seems as though Hobbit has lined up a place for the pups, and most reputable petstores know that hamsters do not make good snake food. Let's move on from that...

And yes, robos do great in pairs or groups. But it doesn't mean they have to live that way, and they are not strictly solitary as Syrians are.

Let's now all turn our focus to answering the pregnancy and after-birth care questions Hobbit has. It's up to Hobbit to read the threads and take our advice wave.gif

Edited by tinypixie, 21 September 2013 - 09:35 AM.
added point about snakefood question/.

#15 Jadie

Jadie

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

Hey guys wave.gif Just going to step in here...

Hobbit, you have received great advice and links to pregnancy care from our fine members! Do visit and read through those threads. They will assist you in caring for your pregnant robo mother!

Also, as stated, it is advised not to let her visit her male siblings any longer, but it seems you have agreed to this already thumbsup.gif This is ideal smiley.gif  You are doing great!

And, yes, introducing your robo to a Syrian is not a good idea at all. Just avoid it. We assure you, your robo is not lonely. Sometimes we think hamsters are like people and absolutely need a friend. It's best to let Mom adjust to living alone until she "pops", and then care for her in the ways outlined in the above mentioned threads.

It seems as though Hobbit has lined up a place for the pups, and most reputable petstores know that hamsters do not make good snake food. Let's move on from that...

Let's now all turn our focus to answering the pregnancy and after-birth care questions Hobbit has. It's up to Hobbit to read the threads and take our advice wave.gif

:) so agree but don't some petstores feed mice and rodents to snakes? I've actually seen one of these petcos do it across town. It was so sad and disturbing that i left. But Dont some?