Photo

Can hamsters have butter or cooking spray?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 StellaLove08

StellaLove08

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:46 AM

I want to make some honey treat cookie things for Stella but I don't want them to stick to the pan when baking. Can I use a little bit of butter or cooking spray or would that harm her? Thanks!

#2 Petlover500

Petlover500

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:52 AM

make sure not to use to much honey! it is quite sugary! and butter and cooking spray wont harm her but it is very fatty. could u use a Silpat instead?

#3 BizzaroNumber1

BizzaroNumber1

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:56 AM

Honey has too much sugar content so i would just not make the treats and butter is to much in fat and oil

#4 Petlover500

Petlover500

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:03 AM

here is a good recepie i made up! just scroll down a little.

http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/77944-dwarf-hamster-recepies/

#5 ILuvMySyrians

ILuvMySyrians

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

its just a treat so it can have sugar, plus you have a Syrian...I mean, hamsters need some freedom, wouldn't you like to go out and have some ice cream? it's not healthy, but a treat won't kill us...a little bit of honey wont hurt your hamster, so I say that and the cooking spray is fine. It's not like this is part of your hamsters daily meal, it's only a treat, so go ahead!!

#6 StellaLove08

StellaLove08

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Honey has too much sugar content so i would just not make the treats and butter is to much in fat and oil

The treat isn't just made of honey :) It's made of seed mix with less than a tsp. of honey. And the treats would only be the size of the bottom of a mini cupcake. And the butter would just be a little so that the treat wouldn't stick.

its just a treat so it can have sugar, plus you have a Syrian...I mean, hamsters need some freedom, wouldn't you like to go out and have some ice cream? it's not healthy, but a treat won't kill us...a little bit of honey wont hurt your hamster, so I say that and the cooking spray is fine. It's not like this is part of your hamsters daily meal, it's only a treat, so go ahead!!

Yes! Thank you. I think the treats are fine too! And I'm not just giving her honey on its own...it will be mixed with seed mix and some other stuff! Thanks for understanding :D hahah!

here is a good recepie i made up! just scroll down a little.

http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/77944-dwarf-hamster-recepies/

Great recipe I'll have to try that out! Thanks!

make sure not to use to much honey! it is quite sugary! and butter and cooking spray wont harm her but it is very fatty. could u use a Silpat instead?

I don't have any non stick things thumbsdown.gif  I don't think I will need very much butter and its just a treat so maybe it will be okay?veryhappy.gif

#7 Lillias

Lillias

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

Butter is fine, in small amounts. Cooking spray... I'd check out the ingredients first.

#8 Petlover500

Petlover500

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:25 PM

The treat isn't just made of honey :) It's made of seed mix with less than a tsp. of honey. And the treats would only be the size of the bottom of a mini cupcake. And the butter would just be a little so that the treat wouldn't stick.
Yes! Thank you. I think the treats are fine too! And I'm not just giving her honey on its own...it will be mixed with seed mix and some other stuff! Thanks for understanding :D hahah!
I don't have any non stick things :thumbsdown:  I don't think I will need very much butter and its just a treat so maybe it will be okay?:veryhappy:

happy to help! I hope u enjoy it!

#9 tbiM20

tbiM20

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:38 PM

Just a suggestion, but you don't have to use either butter or spray. A little bit of canola or vegetable oil will also grease your pan sufficiently. yes.gif  Plus then you don't have to worry about burnt butter yuck.gif

#10 BizzaroNumber1

BizzaroNumber1

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:40 PM

I don't have any non stick things :thumbsdown:  I don't think I will need very much butter and its just a treat so maybe it will be okay?:veryhappy:

Thanks for telling me more about the treat it is fine with the low honey

#11 Kim ♥

Kim ♥

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:37 AM

do you think just white flour would work? it's safe and it unsticks sticky dough so can it be used I used it while making homemade chews for Gunther

#12 ILuvMySyrians

ILuvMySyrians

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

that should be fine, some members will say it's not as healthy and that you should use wheat flour, but if you don't have that and are making a treat, it doesn't really need to be healthy, now does it? I just hate when people say you shouldn't do something because its unhealthy. Not everything we eat is healthy, and many healthy things don't taste good and we don't want to eat it. hamsters should be treated the same way. If they don't like something that's healthy, try something else. It just annoys me how persistent people are about making everything in a hamsters life 100% healthy and perfect. Not everyone can do that, but just because their hamster wont have a perfectly healthy and spacious life doesn't mean you shouldn't keep it. Sorry im ranting, ive been wanting to say that for a while. I'm not perfect either. My hamsters don't eat Hazel Hamster with the corn and peas picked out. They eat a food they've had most of their life, and im ok with that. If they are happy, I'm happy. They do have a spacious cage though :)

Edited by ILuvMySyrians, 14 August 2013 - 08:09 AM.