Photo

Dwarf Hamster Running in Circles (Neurological Problem?)

running circles dwarf Neurological

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 AnthonysAnimals101

AnthonysAnimals101

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

Hi there, I have high concerns for my pied robo dwar hamster, She is a little over 1 years old and tonight I noticed her running in a circle in the same spot (no not on her wheel of course) 

Similar to this:

(Not my video ^ but is similar to my dwarf hamsters behavior)

I'm worried it may be a neurological problem and am seriously worried, What should I do and do you have any questions?

Thank Guys! 

Additional Information

When I got her she use to running up and down the sides of her cage but when I googled it, Most answer were that it was normal behaviour so I never thought much of it. 

Edited by Anthony James, 09 June 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#2 nebit

nebit

Action Hero Ham

• Members
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Can she walk in a straight line at all, or is it ONLY circles? And is she tilting her head at all?

#3 AnthonysAnimals101

AnthonysAnimals101

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

Can she walk in a straight line at all, or is it ONLY circles? And is she tilting her head at all?

She doesn't seem to be titling her head I thought it could be Vestibular disease as well but not going to rule that out, She stops and eats and drinks and rummages around the cage for food but then starts going around in circles not ultra fast but just steadily I'm uploading a video at the moment once that is done I will post it here.

Thanks Nebit! 

Here is her video: 

Edited by Anthony James, 09 June 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#4 AnthonysAnimals101

AnthonysAnimals101

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

I have a new video up be warned "The footage about to be shown is of a hamster pacing in circles and may cause discomfort and distress, Viewer discretion is advised" I just don't want the young people on the forum to be sad, the footage isn't gruesome I just think I'd be upset if I saw it if I was young :goodvibes:

#5 Luci

Luci

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

Here are some things that I've written to others with neurological hamsters:

That definitely looks like some sort of neurological problem. Here are a couple links that you can check out:

http://dashinghamste...tar-gazing.html

http://dashinghamste...-treatment.html

I'm sorry hug.gif How old is she? Neurological problems can pop up even as early as 7 weeks (personal experience).

EDIT: Here's a topic with my experience with hamsters (a mom and her pup) with some comparison videos and tips. 

http://hamsterhideou...showtopic=68131

Raising a hamster with neurological problems such as 'stargazing' is difficult at times, and I hope that my experiences can help you and your hamster.

Mirabelle was given the Trimethoprim Sulfa, 2 rounds of .01 mL a day (one in the morning, one at night). .01mL is literally a drop, the vet will give you a little syringe that they use for diabetic cats and you literally just fill it to the very first line. The thing about the vet costs is, the medicine wasn't too much but they will probably charge you for a generic 'check-up' fee... I'd say hovering towards $100 total unless you can somehow convince them to give you just the meds, which in that case will be less than around $25, I'd say. 

Trimethoprim Sulfa is an antibiotic, so make sure that you give your hamster a dab of yogurt (unflavored, unsweetened) to make sure that her gut health is intact. The drug is used to treat ear infections commonly, which balance is all located within the inner ear.

Mirabelle started to lose her symptoms at around 5 days of taking the medication- she was a new hamster and it was a beautiful sight to see her so happy. Mirabelle did pass away two weeks later at age 2.5 months, but I wholeheartedly believe that this was a product of her neurological issues and not the medication itself. This drug will not cure your hamster, but it will makeyour hamster's day-to-day movement, balance, and temperament much better.

Mirabelle had a mom, Miette, who showed these symptoms around 5 days after I adopted her with Mirabelle. She was 11 months old, and passed away 20 days after I got her. Miette's symptoms were much scarier than Mirabelle's (she would attempt backflips, where as Mirabelle would stumble and fall on her back). 

Your hamster will have her good days, and her bad days. I recommend you get a pair of gloves because there may be days that she bites you.  Other days, it will seem like she is completely normal. Cherish those days!

To be honest, I am not sure about her life expectancy. My thinking is that neurological issues likely stem from overbreeding from unhealthy hamsters. Although the neurological issues won't singlehandedly compromise her life expectancy, she may pass unexpectedly from another byproduct of poor genetics. Just know that it will not be your fault :hug:

Edited by Luci, 09 June 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#6 AnthonysAnimals101

AnthonysAnimals101

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

Thank you so much for your long detailed reply it means a lot to me! I've now read those topics and they are very helpful!

My main concern now is that there is a high possibility that all 5 of my hamsters may carry this disease since they were all bought from the same pet store, are all robos and now are showing similar signs ones of which my current pied robo had in earlier months. 

She is 1 year and two months old :)

#7 Luci

Luci

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

Oh yeah I knew how old she is that was a quote from me replying to someone else's topic :)

#8 AnthonysAnimals101

AnthonysAnimals101

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

Oh yeah I knew how old she is that was a quote from me replying to someone else's topic smiley.gif

oh right haha! :D whops!

#9 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,981 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

when I look at the video of your hamster, I'm not sure I can compare

it to the first video you posted of another hamster circling.

how much bigger is the habitat beyond what we can see in the video?

I see the edges of a green wheel, does the habitat extend much past

the wheel?

the tight circles of the anonymous hamster in the first video do not

seem the same as the wider, less manic circling of your robo. yours

seems to be trying to work off excess energy, using the whole of that

open space where you took the video.

I'd be interested to see what she'd do if you got one of those playpens

and put her in there, where she'd have a much larger area to move.

would she confine her circling to a small area within the playpen? or

would she open it up to include the whole area?

does she have a rollerball? I'd observe her in one of those and see if

her behavior changes at all.

#10 AnthonysAnimals101

AnthonysAnimals101

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:59 AM

This is what she has been doing since I first started this thread:

This is her cage except swap the dimensions around:

HamsterBin5_zpsf53d3853.jpg

and this is her current cage set up:

2_zpsfa28c09a.png

I will try the exercise ball and play pen idea and see if there is any results! 

Thank you so much!

#11 Biscotti

Biscotti

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

It looks like your robo has the spinning disorder, which seems to crop up rarely among some robos with lots of whites (pied, headspot, whites, etc). She seems to have a mild case of it earlier this month, but in the new video she is spinning very tightly. Has she always been like this? or did the spinning only crop up recently?

I did some research awhile ago regarding spinning robos, and it seems like the ones born spinning has neurological defects (which also including excess pacing back and forth beyond that of stereotypical behaviors), or vestibular defect due to the way the nerves travel following melanocytes when their colors are forming. This can be passed onto offsprings, so if your other robos are starting to show signs of spinning, they may all have inherited this. If this behavior only cropped up recently, then I'm more inclined to say that she might had a stroke that damaged her balance or ear infection. But you've said there's no head tilt and some of your other robos are also exhibiting some spinning tendency, so maybe not.

There's no cure, but you can make the lives of your robos easier by having a simple layout (your bin looks great and it is fine. :)) and removing anything that has sharp edges. Sometimes when they start spinning, it's hard for them to stop and they can't see where they're going. 

Secondly, and this is a very hard topic for me to mention, but if the spinning is very bad and effecting their quality of life, then you might want to consider having them put to sleep humanely. If they can still do normal hamster things and just spin occasionally, then don't worry too much. But if they seem to be spinning tightly all the time, seemingly disoriented and cannot control themselves, then it may be time to let them go.

#12 AnthonysAnimals101

AnthonysAnimals101

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

It looks like your robo has the spinning disorder, which seems to crop up rarely among some robos with lots of whites (pied, headspot, whites, etc). She seems to have a mild case of it earlier this month, but in the new video she is spinning very tightly. Has she always been like this? or did the spinning only crop up recently?

I did some research awhile ago regarding spinning robos, and it seems like the ones born spinning has neurological defects (which also including excess pacing back and forth beyond that of stereotypical behaviors), or vestibular defect due to the way the nerves travel following melanocytes when their colors are forming. This can be passed onto offsprings, so if your other robos are starting to show signs of spinning, they may all have inherited this. If this behavior only cropped up recently, then I'm more inclined to say that she might had a stroke that damaged her balance or ear infection. But you've said there's no head tilt and some of your other robos are also exhibiting some spinning tendency, so maybe not.

There's no cure, but you can make the lives of your robos easier by having a simple layout (your bin looks great and it is fine. smiley.gif) and removing anything that has sharp edges. Sometimes when they start spinning, it's hard for them to stop and they can't see where they're going. 

Secondly, and this is a very hard topic for me to mention, but if the spinning is very bad and effecting their quality of life, then you might want to consider having them put to sleep humanely. If they can still do normal hamster things and just spin occasionally, then don't worry too much. But if they seem to be spinning tightly all the time, seemingly disoriented and cannot control themselves, then it may be time to let them go.

I could of sworn I replied to this! Apologise and thank you! but her health has increased dramatically over the past week I have more information about it here! Thank You So much! :hug: