Photo

[SURVEY] Hamster Escapes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

Poll: [SURVEY] Hamster Escapes

Do you think hamster escape is preventable?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,475 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

The problem with splitting a survey like this into different categories is the shear amount of data we just aren't getting. Statistically speaking, category bins only work when you have much larger sample sizes of data, otherwise you only get a few samples in each bin and it's hard to differentiate between real data and outlier noise.

The more bins you need to split data up into, the more data you actually need for a representative sample.

#17 prukutung

prukutung

Baby Hamster

• 11 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

The bin cage I have for Blue is extremely strong and somewhat over-engineered. Eighth inch HDPP, zinc passivated stainless steel wire weld mesh, aircraft grade 6061 aluminium bar stock and quarter inch dome head security fasteners.

You could put a bobcat in their :P

dude, i want one of those... :D

#18 TheHammyLove

TheHammyLove

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 984 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:10 PM

I don't think any of my hamsters have really escaped. Hugo has escaped once,due to human error. If you buy a secure cage and take many precautions, it is possible to never have an escaped hamster. But I will agree that sometimes it is impossible to avoid due to human error.

#19 Zoe's Zoo

Zoe's Zoo

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:56 AM

Oh dear. When I had them, my Syrians would escape regularly. It was always from human error.
The first time was when Snoopy was in his aquarium. I didn't have a locking lid on it, so he eventually figured out how to climb his wheel, and balance there long enough to lift the lid off and crawl out- I then "escape-proofed" it and went on vacation.... It wasn't escape proof! :rotfl:
Snoopy and my family then would play a game of hide-and-seek every night. He would escape around 7pm and have a jog around my bedroom. Eventually he built himself a nest under my dresser, and my Mom would find him there every morning and put him back in his cage. dizzy.gif  He was such a naughty dude! When I got home I completely re-did his cage setup.

Then, when I had my 3 Syrians in bins/habitrails the escapes dwindled down to whenever I forgot to completely close the cage doors or twist a tube shut.

All's well that ends well, though. They're funny stories now!

#20 Mochammi

Mochammi

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:40 AM

It mostly depends what cage you have! If you have a wire, dwarfs could escape, depending on the spacing. If you have a lose door, that could lead to escape. If your hamster chews through the plastic. If your hamster climbs out the top (if it is a  topless cage).

#21 Ldoerr

Ldoerr

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

When I had hamsters 10years or so ago there would be escapes every so often. I do not remember how they escaped or even their names (I have had to come up with names for hundreds of animals since then and just forget which I feel bad for). All I remember is that one of them whenever he escaped would crawl from my room upstairs to my parents room downstairs and go and hide under my moms side of the bed. He did this many times. I am just taking a random guess and saying that the reason he escaped was because of the bar spacing on his store bought cage. 

When I had mice I could not keep them in their cage. They were in a store bought wire cage and they just fit through the bars. The first time they were out it freaked me out but then when they were out every night I got used to it. Good thing they never went downstairs near my pet snake.

My snake actually escaped his cage a couple of times. We would find her curled up on the rug in the kitchen when she was ready to go back home. She even managed to escape from a padlocked cage. 

I think that the majority of escapes can be prevented but not all. I voted for the second option. 

#22 Lillias

Lillias

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

I'm of the opinion that if a hamster escapes from the cage, you need to either rethink the cage or your habits. He/She shouldn't be able to escape the same way twice.

#23 Taxonomist

Taxonomist

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:52 AM

I want to thank everyone very much for the responses!  I truly appreciate it. goodvibes.gif

I also have not abandoned / forgotten about this thread!  I'm just trying to let as many people answer as possible before I do any graphing and analyzing.  veryhappy.gif

#24 Ping

Ping

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:04 AM

Oooo okay, one to add today:

I went away to Wales to visit family the last two days. I left late on Wednesday night, after saying bye to my hammies - making sure they had enough food and two waterbottles each (in case of blockages), checking all doors were securely fastened and lids on tightly - and returned at midday today.

I had a quick check in the cages (well, Frankie's cage, Pickle and Davos' bins), checked that food had been taken and waterbottles still flowed. All was well. No rustles from Frankie or Pickle, but that's usual for them; Davos popped his head out to see what the noise was about. 

So, I sat down at my desk (the hamsters are all in my study) and turned my computer on. Fast forward 2 hours and I feel a tickling on my foot.

IEIEEEEEEEE, SPIDER! I think... but no.

It's Pickle. He climbed on my foot, looked at me as if to say, "What?" then waited to be picked up and put back in his bin. 

I have NO IDEA how he got out. The mesh lid is still on and fastened at all edges, and aside from that, the sides of the bin are more than three times his height when he stands on his back legs!

So my vote stands: Hamster escape is somewhat preventable - try as you might, and secure as you think they might be, hamsters will sometimes escape their cages, despite precautions! And totally confound you in the process. 

Needless to say, his bin cage is spending the next few days in my bathtub until I figure out how he got out!!

#25 HammyLove95

HammyLove95

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

When I got my first hamster (a Syrian) I was terrified that he would escape.  My big [homemade] hammy cage has doors that open from the front, like a bookshelf.  But I kept him in a smaller commercial cage until he was 6 mos. old, mainly because we were building the big cage/moving during that time.  Then I moved him in and he didn't even show any desire to escape.

Now, I have 2 Chinese hams (RIP Whiskers) and I put them in the big cage right away, because the bar spacing in the commercial cage was too far apart.  One day I was working on hand taming when Sam took a flying leap from the second level and landed on the carpet.  tired.gif  He then proceeded to run behind the cage in a place impossible to reach.

Luckily we were in the middle of [another] move, so we built a huge barricade around the cage with packing boxes and then invited the neighbors over to help us pick up the 100-lb. cage.  (Built of solid, thick wood.)  At last naughty little Sam was captured and put back in the cage.  Needless to say, now I do all hand taming in a bin or bathtub!

So I voted for #2 - hamster escapes are almost always preventable, but there are some times when you are caught by surprise and just can't do anything about it.  Our hams like to keep us on our toes...

#26 Taxonomist

Taxonomist

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:12 AM

I have some results to post!

I want to thank HamsterLove99, Zoe's Zoo, malloria, hunnis_mama, Creative Hamster, Azayles, tinypixie, Hamster765, Allison, SyrianPumpkin, PluckyPeanut, HammyLove95, thehammyluv, LoriS, cheekymonkey543, and anyone else who participated (but declined to give their username).

So, the first question of interest I'm covering right now is the circumstances of escape:

CircumstancesofEscape_zps58b311ca.png

You can see that almost half of the escapes reported were simply due to human error--the cage was left open.  I combined the "left open by me" and "left open by someone else" statistics for this.  I found the other two reasons interestingly distributed.  I never would have guessed that damaging the cage to escape was less common than simply getting out of the closed cage.

Next is the type of cage escaped:

TypeofCageEscaped_zps276ca049.png

This is great, because it kind of helps to refute one of the arguments against bin cages.  I often see people who are unaware of the concept of bin cages railing against them - "You can't keep a hamster in a storage box!  It's plastic; the hamster will chew right out of it!"  In this survey at least, commercial cages are by far the most common type escaped!

#27 Creative Hamster

Creative Hamster

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:34 AM

Wow, some not surprising and some surprising results! I can finally see other owners had experience with their mastermind hamsters who've opened their cage door themselves! xD

#28 TheCavyHouse

TheCavyHouse

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:22 AM

Ive only had one hamster escape she was a syrian and in the ovo loft and she has an ovo home connected to it with some other ovo attachement and it was my own fault she got out i wasnt paying attention to the tubes and somehow the cage muct have got knocked and it disconnected a tube, just enough so she could escape. the first time i found her on the floor by her cage. the second time i found her in my kitchen just hanging out lol an my cats were like what is this thing. so you really have to double check when you have ovos or anything else with a lot of attachments that everything is secure.

#29 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,475 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

I'm amazed that such a massive percentage of non-human-error escapes were from commercially available cages! I expected the percentage to be quite high, things like tubes disconnecting and doors popping open etc, but not nearly three quarters of all cases? Extraordinary :O

This is such a huge case for the suitability of DIY builds, tanks and bins being used as habitats. I'm very impressed with this :)

#30 Luci

Luci

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:02 AM

Another wonderful investigation, Tax! It is fascinating to see how many have been like my robo and have escaped a closed cage without damage (in my case, slipping through bars). The second pie chart is a wonderful tool that could be used to convince people to lean towards aquariums and bin cages! Well done :grouphug: