Photo

How often do you feed your hamster

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 pinkbamboo

pinkbamboo

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 919 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:32 AM

I want to know how much do you feed your hamster and how often? I don't want to refill their bowl if I see left overs but they don't seem to touch them. I'm not sure if they will eventually eat those left overs or rather starve.

How often do you feed your hamster and how often? I feel I might be under feeding them a bit but because alao I want them to finish their food

#2 Freep

Freep

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:25 AM

I feed mine every 2-4 days as I can see where they keep their food. :)

#3 yolkalee

yolkalee

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:45 AM

Personally, I feed my Hamster everyday, but a days worth of food. (The little piggy eats so much! XD) I suggest giving your hamster a certain amount of food each day and give him different amounts each day until you find the amount which he will eatand then you can write it down! You can use teaspoons, table spoons,grams, miligrams, any type of measure you want!

#4 bobthealien

bobthealien

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:26 AM

I give a handful or two when I see the stash is starting to go down :) (for Shelly) For Tweek, I just filled it up every 2-3 days.

#5 jess32247

jess32247

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:46 AM

I feed mine everyday, I don't think they stash much food anymore. I can usually see if Hilly has a stash going, but not with the little one. I figure they don't hide any because there is always some left in the bowl everyday.

Besides, they'd rather eat there mush anyway lol, which I'm almost positive they don't stash. 

#6 UK Hammies

UK Hammies

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

Teaspoon a day but I throw out the extra if there is any.

#7 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

I used to feed my hams every couple of days, when I noticed their stash going down. If you're feeding a mix than it is important and try and make them eat all of the mix's contents or else they aren't getting all the nutrition that the mix can provide. If you throw what's left away than they can pick out their favourites and not get a more balanced diet. They won't starve themselves if there is food available.

As for fresh foods I fed those everyday if I could, but I built up to it so that their stomachs could adjust. ;)

#8 HardcoreHamster

HardcoreHamster

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

I just leave their dish out at all times and refill it when it gets low to empty.

Fresh veggies every other day. Other treats on non-veggie days.

#9 Allison

Allison

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

I feed mine once a day. They get about 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons a day depending on the hamster.

#10 Illa

Illa

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:35 AM

I give it about a day and a half before I feed them again. Unless they have a stash, then I wait until I notice that is decreasing. My treat pattern-

Sun- Treat
Mon- Fresh Veg
Tue- Treat
Wed- Fresh Veg
Thur- Treat
Fri- Fresh Veg
Sat- A free choice for one of my family members.

I added Saturday like that because my mom enjoys feeding the hams a treat or fresh veggie.

#11 Spangoid

Spangoid

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

I am terrible with feeding... Sometimes I will feed them every single day and at other times I will get carried away with sprinkling food around the cage that they end up with enough food for about 2 weeks! Just seeing them run around and pouching all the food, its addictive and I would do it all day if I could! :D

#12 HammyLove95

HammyLove95

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

I don't feed a seed mix, but a pelleted diet.  I feed the hamsters free choice (all-you-can-eat buffet) until they're 6 months old; then I go 1/8 cup per dwarf and 1/3 cup per Syrian daily.  If they don't eat all that (which they almost never do) I just refill it to the old level daily.

#13 Biscotti

Biscotti

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:18 AM

I also feed lab blocks free choice for all my hams, but the seed mix I give out daily so I can monitor the amount of seeds they eat vs the blocks. The amount varies depends on if they have a stash stored somewhere, but usually they eat all the seeds first. 

#14 tbiM20

tbiM20

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:26 AM

Funny, I do what Biscotti does. Lab blocks get tossed in whenever they all disappear, about every 2 or 3 days, but they get a lot of them at once. Seed mix gets scattered every day, but much less than the blocks. Veggies and nuts are every few days or used as treats.

#15 DwarfCarrot

DwarfCarrot

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:32 AM

What I do is I first look into the bowl, and if I see enough for my hammy to last through the day, then I might put a little more in there, but if it's empty, I definently refill it, so I feed her every 2-3 days.