Photo

Lady selling hamsters at Yew tee MRT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#16 rynnie

rynnie

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 04:18 PM

if a seller's background is vague(probably irresponsible) , its impossible for them to provide after-sale service like a petshop. chances are,you will be wasting money to get a sick hamster no matter how cheap it was. . and well, you never know until u get one!

on the other hand,if your hammy population grows & u cant afford to take care of them, you shld initiate buyer to come pick em up at your place as it will save hammy's travelling time cos it may be stressful for em 'to go places'..also get ur buyer to prepare a comfortable cage. .. in this case, buyer can at least know the seller's whereabout if ur hammy encounters health or diet prob soon after buying.

still, i do not encourage self-breeding to make money fr the public! if everyone buys fr petshop, i'm sure in the long run, prices will become cheaper due to competition. :)

#17 PrincessAmenRa

PrincessAmenRa

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:08 PM

I guess it isn't illegal if you get your hamsters from a breeder and arrange to meet at the MRT station as a pick up point, but it is illegal if you sell your hamsters deliberately at retail at a public place.

#18 cow32323

cow32323

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:24 PM

the breeder I got my hammies from does provide after sales services .. I know I can call or sms anytime if I run into problems

Sadly he has since retired because he cant stand the way the pet shops treat his stock . Its a pity . He was a good breeder of hamsters

mei

#19 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:22 PM

I guess it isn't illegal if you get your hamsters from a breeder and arrange to meet at the MRT station as a pick up point, but it is illegal if you sell your hamsters deliberately at retail at a public place.

i share your sentiments. i am ok with it if its a breeder meeting a buyer, but i don't like the fact that she brings so many hamsters out and not placed them in proper containers ... in any case perhaps its good to find out more (if possible ) abt what she is really doing.

#20 cow32323

cow32323

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:49 PM

it may notbe possible for her tocarry so many containers

mei

#21 Karatie

Karatie

Baby Hamster

• Banned
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 07:58 PM

If the lady doesn't use a temporary container like the plastic one, what other types of containers can she use. I suppose pet trading is not illegal in Singapore, if it is, AVA would have tighten its grip on all sorts of animal transaction in Singapore. FYI, only exotic pets trading is considered illegal in Singapore. Unless hamsters are considered as exotic pets, if not, i don't see a point why people can't trade them.

What does the rest think huh!

#22 dusty

dusty

Popstar Ham

• Admin Team
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 08:54 PM

well, there should be more regulations to control home breeders, since they are in a way contributing to more pets being kept and consequently, more pets being abandoned.

the AVA is starting a series of education roadshows and events to spread awareness on responsible pet ownership and the alarming rate of pet abandonment in singapore.

the SPCA takes in many abandoned animals everyday and many have to be put down when there is not enough space to keep them.

there are some breeders who are irresponsible, unethical and out to make a quick buck by exploiting these poor animals. of course, there are some good breeders too who breed to create more healthy lines or better breeds.

people should always find out more about the breeder first if they really wish to get their pets from them. also consider carefully about their level of commitment before keeping a pet and to try to adopt them from the SPCA or the various animal societies if possible. and of course, they are also encouraged to adopt hamsters for free from our HH marketplace, which has been set up to address issues such as "accidental litters", "too many hamsters" & "no time to take care anymore", while at the same time prevent breeders from selling them here to make a quick buck.

#23 Steph

Steph

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:11 PM

i bought my hamsters from a breeder too..used to buy from pet shops but lately i realised that breeders sell better quality ones..(of coz u need to check them out first)...

the guy i got the hammies from also kept them in a plastic container with holes..i think for short term transportation it'z ok..most pet shopz does that too...but in her case she is carryin alot in a big bag...so i dun think she's intendin to "short term" transport them?

#24 EdiJamez

EdiJamez

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:47 PM

Maybe should call up ava and ask if this type of transaction r allowed or not. But would sill prefer to buy from breeder than pet shop, student like me really cannot afford that kind of money...

i agreed...but the problem is we dunoe the gen line...even for shops, they sometimes dun even knw the gene line for their pets...really sicko...
i have been search for a pair of syrian...in shops, their syrain seems to be the least pop wan...as well as some other breeder.. >.<

#25 q0o0o0o

q0o0o0o

Baby Hamster

• 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:10 PM

I think it is legal..... Even though if someone reported to AVA or police, we can say that the breeder and I are friends... She want to give me the hamsters to take care... Or i'm just getting the hamsters back...

I think the lady bought that hamsters for the person to choose.

Just that the way he placed the hamsters are abit incorrect.

I think don't bring too much hamsters lo.

Getting to much attention.

#26 Stallion Fury

Stallion Fury

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:36 PM

i dunno just like piracy in software there wil always be illegal trade of animals like elephants tusks tigers fur etc
obviously ppl selling these animals should go to jail but its best just not to buy them and keep the mouth shut in case somebody makes an enemy :no:

Edited by happy2bfree, 08 May 2005 - 11:37 PM.

#27 BabySinclair

BabySinclair

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

All my hammies are from reputable breeder.. To me it's much more better then petshop, it's cheaper and well taken care off and tamed unlike petshop i got one with sickness and died few months later & didnt know it was sick till i realise there is some problem i ask knowledge-able breeder they said maybe the hamster are not well bred. But i know it's illegal buying from breeder but if they treat the hammies well why not i give it a try so far i have nice healthy hammies...

#28 Meowing hamster

Meowing hamster

Baby Hamster

• 30 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

Maybe should call up ava and ask if this type of transaction r allowed or not. But would sill prefer to buy from breeder than pet shop, student like me really cannot afford that kind of money...

why dun u adopt from SPCA or here? here, its free but you cannot ensure the hamster's health buy at SPCA, its $10 and the adopting process is more complicated as they take effort to ensure that the hamster goes to a good home and plus you can ensure that the hamster that you adopt is healthy too, although responsible breeding is still better than buying from petshops where you have no idea if your hamters could have been inbreeded, line breeded and you cannot ensure the hamster's heath, but still, buying from breeders lessens the chances of hamsters who are abandoned's to go to a good home.