Photo

Lady selling hamsters at Yew tee MRT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 rynnie

rynnie

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 05:08 PM

hi fellow hammy lovers!
last tuesday night abt 8.30pm, i was passing by the entrance of Yew Tee Mrt walking towards NTUC when i saw this young lady selling hamsters to a guy. apparently, ey had planned to meet as the guy readily took over 2 young hamsters fr the lady and handed her $15 openly.
i noticed that she had a bigger plastic bag where she put more hamsters in seperate white plastic food containers in it. the bag was on the ground and as i walked closer, there were at least ten or more hammies of different breeds,obviously for potential customers to choose from. i overhead the guy asked if she had got a pair for breeding.. she replied 'no' but seemed interested to trade again. the guy did not prepare a proper cage for the newly bought hamsters only a white container though i must be relieved to see that the lady had some cat litter for her 'goods'... a small crowd gathered by this time but no one bought anything.
i was puzzled & felt like confronting the lady but instead i continued heading for my destination. feeling uneasy, i decided to return to clear my doubts but i realised the lady, buyer & crowd were all gone, within minutes.
she was actually accompanied by a man who was obviously looking nervous, awkward & stood a short distance away from the lady. They look like ordinary couple about 30 y/o + - ( in my opinion).
all those hamsters were very young ones & looked healthy & adorable, active too. but i'm wondering is this right? has anyone seen her or similiar situation before? she has got different breeds, where's the source???
i urge potential hammy keeper(s) not to buy ur pets from such means.. it juz dun looks right to me.
thank you for your attention.

#2 panther

panther

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 09:32 PM

She kept hammies in a bag and a plastic container!!?!? There were air holes, right?

Different breeds should not be kept together because they'll fight.

You said the lady was gone within minutes... that's strange...

#3 jennifer_neo

jennifer_neo

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:22 PM

no.. i seldom gone so far. my mum take train there, i ask her later to see if she seen the mystery lady. but i thou it cruel to put so many hamsters of different breeds together.

#4 ahbinn

ahbinn

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 11:30 PM

different breeds or different colours hamsters put together?

#5 rynnie

rynnie

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 12:11 AM

from wad i can see , ey r seperated in different containers but all in one bag, with holes too. i cant recall if they've got lids covered on each container. i guess she knew it's not wise to stay long. or maybe she had spotted a 'busybody' like me...... honestly, she looks pleasant & rather approachable, cant tell she is out for no-good .....

????????????

#6 PrincessAmenRa

PrincessAmenRa

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 03:13 PM

You can never judge a person by her looks. I think she left because she was doing something illegal. You need a licence from AVA to sell pets in retail. To top it off she was selling the hamsters outside the MRT station. To set up a business without a proper licence is already illegal to top it off we're talking about live animals here. If you see the lady again I think you should alert the police or AVA. The thing is that some people might buy the hamsters on impulse for their children in such a situation and this is not fair for the animals.

#7 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:46 PM

i urge potential hammy keeper(s) not to buy ur pets from such means.. it juz dun looks right to me.
thank you for your attention.

i agree with you. buying from them will only encourage them to breed more. its not legal to sell pets in public without a license... maybe if you see her again, can try to get her contact number and then report to the authorities? :devil:

#8 Allergy

Allergy

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:56 PM

Sometimes the situation is more innocent than it seems. My sister got her hamsters from a really great local breeder. She also met him at an mrt station to collect the hamsters.

I don't agree with the lady not using proper cages though.

allergy

#9 rynnie

rynnie

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:32 PM

My sister got her hamsters from a really great local breeder. She also met him at an mrt station to collect the hamsters.

glad ur sis met a great one! a responsible local breeder will not use such 'convenient' cages,will he?

i understand alot of buyers meet-up with sellers at mrt to complete their deals as home or shop may not be convenient; i'm perfectly alright with this but in this case, the lady has got 'more to offer' & its abt lives, small innocent lives ----->>> :hamster2: :hamster1: :hamster2: :hamster1: :hamster2: :hamster1: :hamster2: :hamster1: :hamster2: :hamster1: :hamster2: :hamster1: :hamster2: :hamster1: :hamster2: :hamster1: :hamster2: .............................

#10 ahbinn

ahbinn

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:26 PM

those plastic containers are only temporary... its definitely not a cage! even ppl who give hamsters for adoption use these containers wat

#11 jennifer_neo

jennifer_neo

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:29 PM

but i am wondering isnt it v stressful for all the ham to be under the hot sun waiting for owner to buy them?

#12 cow32323

cow32323

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 09:39 PM

no more than you are in a taxi caught in a jam i guess

But the breeder brought afew for me t select from and for sure he cant bring all their cages along

mei

#13 Polar Bear

Polar Bear

Baby Hamster

• 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:52 AM

I bought my two pearl from a girl and we arranged to meet up at mrt station. She was kind enough to bring the whole litter for me to pick. while I was choosing, a few passerbys crowded beside us, guessed they couldn't resist the cutiesness of the hammies. Any way, the girl got pai sei and urged me to make my choice. The point here is , is this type of transaction illegal? if it is, than does that mean that the only way of getting hamsters is to buy from the pet shop and pay double or even triple more? puzzle.......

#14 cow32323

cow32323

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:14 AM

I have no idea but I would carry on anyway . The person has a right ot protect the privacy of her hoe location ..and iots a private arrangement

mei

#15 Polar Bear

Polar Bear

Baby Hamster

• 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 02:55 PM

Maybe should call up ava and ask if this type of transaction r allowed or not. But would sill prefer to buy from breeder than pet shop, student like me really cannot afford that kind of money...