Photo

signs of a pregnant hammy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
161 replies to this topic

#31 squeky

squeky

Banned

• Banned
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 06:01 PM

A pregnant hammie has a distinct pear shape body. Am I right to say that?

#32 jiggy

jiggy

Baby Hamster

• 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 04:11 AM

Hi everyone,
On the topic of pregnant hamsters, I have some advice. Even if your hamster is showing signs of prgnancy she might not be pregnant. It takes about 16 days for a syrian hamster (also know as teddybear hamster) to have babies. It takes 21 days or so for a dwarf hamster to have babies. A syrian can have 5-20 babies and a dwarf around 1-8 babies. One hamster can have alot of babies so do not take breeding lightly. Find homes for the pups before they are born because it can be very hectic if you try and find homes for the babies when they are 6 weeks old and getting huge. So if you buy a hamster who is has been in your house for more than 3 weeks, she is not pregnant unless she has been with a male hamster.
I have bred my hamsters once and everything went well. After about 12 days after mating I could tell that my hamster, Abelle (teddybear), was pregnant. Her nipples were red and swollen and her stomach was large. She gave birth on the 16 day of pregnancy. She had 8 babies. I ended up calling a pet store and they took them all when they were 4 weeks of age.
So if you are planning on breeding your hamster, make sure that you have done your research and make sure that you have the money to support the food and bedding bills. Also make sure that you can find homes for the babies. It might be harder then you think.
~JIGGY

#33 ~!HaMtArO!~

~!HaMtArO!~

Baby Hamster

• 16 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:28 PM

They get nipples.

#34 zergdog

zergdog

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:51 PM

well yah how else will the baby drink milk if the mom dont have nipples most likey a male or just a problem with the female i guess but then u would have to hand feed them yourself and hae the female have a check with the vet cause i sure its not right for a female to give birth to hammies and not have nipples.

Edited by zergdog, 21 July 2004 - 10:52 PM.

#35 nazir_nawaji91

nazir_nawaji91

Baby Hamster

• 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 04:12 PM

Hi ........
I'm new here .... i just wanted to know .... my hamster mated 4 weeks ago .... 4 days later after mating for the first time she mated again ... 3 wks later she gave birth to 7 ..... Now she has gain lots & lots of weight ... as if she is pregnant again .... but she didn't mate after giving birth ..... I am confused :huh: .... what should I do ???????

#36 beford

beford

Baby Hamster

• 14 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 12:31 PM

Lol my hammy was always fat so it was hard to tell if she was pregnant everyone but me said she wasn't and 19 days later......*POOF* 11 baby hammys were under her squirming around.
You couldn't really tell she was prego because my hammy was "big boned" lol

#37 MC-Maxim

MC-Maxim

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:42 PM

I`ll give link here too, cause I didn`t seen this topic before :)
http://www.hamsterhideout.com/forum/index....showtopic=14080

#38 evilhamsters

evilhamsters

Baby Hamster

• 16 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:41 PM

I got 2 girl syrian hamsters a week ago, they're 9 weeks. one has started to get extremely fat, we havn't fed her much just fruit, veg n hamster mix. shes sleeping all the time and she built a seperate nest. her wee is so smelly is that anything to do with it?

#39 lil girl genius

lil girl genius

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:33 AM

Thanks for the advise ermm ... foxxy your an angel :angel:

#40 hanakawaii

hanakawaii

Baby Hamster

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:14 AM

do hamsters still mate if they are pregnant? read dat i could try to mate her on her next heat to see if she's pregnant. if she's pregnant fr e previous mating durin heat, then she wun hav heat le. so she wouldnt allow e male to mate wif her. so another method is to notice her body size and diet rite? hee tis is e first time my hamster finally mated so happy! hee.. i can giv bread (wholemeal bread or normal one?) soaked wif low fat milk, ikan bilis, tofu, hard boiled egg white, some veg, carrots, wheatgerm.. anyting else i can giv to make sure she hav enough nutrients? hee hav been readin up alot on breeding hamsters lol :p

#41 at0m87

at0m87

Baby Hamster

• 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:23 PM

hhaha dat is good enought already. u gave her all the food that has protein like ikan bilis and and toufu which can help her produce milk to her baby. yeah. congrats. my sapphire mom jus gave birth to a litter of 8 thou haha. yeah i noticed her pregnant and boom.. 8 babies. hahaha..

#42 verancia

verancia

Baby Hamster

• 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:09 AM

i saw my pearl ww mated... and her nipple starts 2 shown... but she still look the same size onli abit fatter than she used to be... its two weeks from the day i saw them mate...
I have not seprated her wif my boy... when my boy wanna mate her, she just squek at my boy...

I've robos that looks fatter than usual, like wat you say she store more food in her cheek pouch but no sign of her nipple ... I've never seem them mate. i really dont know if they are pregent...

#43 therealwonderslug

therealwonderslug

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:03 AM

I got a female dwarf last Sunday. It was supposed to 5 weeks old. It was in a cage with all it's brothers and sisters. It's a little itty bitty hamster. Tiny even. Anyway, I was taming her with the tissue paper thingy and she has taken all the tissue and made one heck of a nest. Hammy (my male) will take tissue and make a nest, but nothing like what Nipper (the female) has done. She had a little home thing and she completely ignored it and has taken to a corner of the aquarium that is behind her water bottle. She even made a little tunnel of tissue to go in and out. I mean you can't even hardly tell there is a hamster in there.

Is this what is meant by "nesting"? If so, since she has noticeably gained weight since Sunday does that mean I bought a pregnant hamster?

Will it survive being pregnant and that small? How could something that little have babies? She is half the size of Hammy and he is only 4 months old.

And lastly, I reckon this means that it will be at least a month before Hammy and Nipper can be friends? That I can't put them together until the babies are weaned and removed? Would he help with them or eat them?

#44 Shelly4ever

Shelly4ever

Baby Hamster

• 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:01 AM

You really can't tell if a hamster is pregnant. Some hamsters gain weight because they just gain weight. There are three ways that I have found to tell if they are pregnant. One: put her with a male hamster, if she doesn't pose or fight the poor guy she is probably pregnant. [If she is not pregnant but is also not in heat she will fight any "advances" by the male hamster. if she is in heat she will freeze and allow the male to approach and mount her (I would suggest separating them at this point unless you want babies.)] Two: by about a week in her nipples will definitely be more pronounced. Three: a few days after you suspect she is pregnant she won't leave the nest she has made for herself and a few days after that she will get up and you will find 6 to 10 (maybe up to 20) babies in the cradle of a nest. Next if you think your hamster is pregnant leave her alone she needs to be alone so her babies will be healthy, in two weeks if she has not had babies she was not pregnant in the first place. Syrian are solitaire animals sisters can live together only if they are from the same litter, which could explain any territorial-ness you observe. When changing the cage of any hamster, especially pregnant hamsters, do not get rid of the nest if possible. It disturbs the delicate balance in their life. If the mama hamster is not separated from their baby boys four to six weeks after she gives birth she can get pregnant again from one of them. Oh and one more thing ... hamsters run 3 miles a night while pregnant ones run 6 miles a night.

#45 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:50 AM

Okay,At what stage in the pregnency do Hamsters get these signs?My mom thinks Riz is pregnant,so i have to check and make sure if she is or isn't.