Photo

signs of a pregnant hammy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
161 replies to this topic

#1 jiana54

jiana54

Baby Hamster

• 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 12:45 PM

hi!!!
i have a really really really chubby hammy
she's built a nest and shes also cranky
is she pregnant?
what are the signs of a pregnant hamster anyways?

#2 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 08:54 AM

Generally rapid weight gain, more cranky behaviour and building a nest are signs of a pregnant hamster.  

Also have u seen ur hamster mate? Gestation period just over 2 weeks.  It may be highly likely she's pregnant.

U can start planning for wat to do wif babies in case she really give birth  :hamster1: :hamster2:

#3 Snoozer

Snoozer

Rookie Hamster

• 52 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 11:26 AM

Does your hamster behaves more agressive when u handle her? Mine doesn't like people to hold her when she's pregant, specially if you hold her too tight.  :angel:

#4 jiana54

jiana54

Baby Hamster

• 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 02:37 PM

she doesnt want to be held at all  :yuck: !!!!
she strikes as if she were a snake. i  got her from the pet store 2 weeks ago and over the past two weeks, i've separated her from her roommate because she was attacking her. and as soon as she had her own place, she started building a nest. do pregnant hamster run? because she still spends time on her wheel for about 30 secs then she'll get off, then come back on it again.

ok, i saw the pictures of buffy and wiffy and my hamster is about the size of wiffy. but she builds nests and shes crabby. can we conclude that she's just a fat hamster who is crabby and nesty?  :-/

Edited by Christmas_hamster, 31 July 2010 - 12:59 PM.

#5 jessica

jessica

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 03:25 AM

Got a time i don't know my hams is pregnant...my mum say that she's just too fat eating so much....she is very active climbing up the cage when i'm feeding her nuts after eating she's just fall down real hard....one day my mum find that she had given birth to 6 babies then know that she is pregnant and not being too fat...haha very funny coz she don't have signs that she is pregnant but she like to bully other hamster in the cage.

#6 dusty

dusty

Popstar Ham

• Admin Team
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 07:20 AM

ok, i saw the pictures of buffy and wiffy and my hamster is about the size of wiffy. but she builds nests and shes crabby. can we conclude that she's just a fat hamster who is crabby and nesty?  :-/

hihi, erm, i guess u may be looking at the wrong pics coz miffy should be the one who was pregnant!  ;)

here's the link (pic 2 shows a pregnant miffy)
http://www.hamsterhideout.com/spotlightchr...hronicles2.html

btw, miffy & waffie are the parents of buffy & wiffy :)

#7 Snoozer

Snoozer

Rookie Hamster

• 52 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 12:03 PM

Well, if your hamster keeps building nest and behaves agressively, perhaps you would wan to observe her for a few weeks. Hamsters give birth very fast, but most importantlym you mus be prepared to think whether u r able to handle so mani hamsters!

#8 yuri0805

yuri0805

Junior Hamster

• 157 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 08:20 PM

hmmm... i suspect my ww is pregnant.. heehee.. i did saw them mate 2 wks ago... well, she had never ever bitten me b4 until yday~! so can i confirm she's pregnant??? anyway, i've just changed the bedding, gave alot of food and water, taken away the male and the wheel.. and put the tank in my room (it's quieter here). JUST IN CASE...
so excited...

#9 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,979 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 01:55 AM

she doesnt want to be held at all  :yuck: !!!!
she strikes as if she were a snake. i  got her from the pet store 2 weeks ago and over the past two weeks, i've separated her from her roommate because she was attacking her. and as soon as she had her own place, she started building a nest. do pregnant hamster run? because she still spends time on her wheel for about 30 secs then she'll get off, then come back on it again.

jiana, it sounds to me that your hamster is pregnant. yes pregnant hamsters still stay active and xercise. do you have a dwarf or a syrian? if she's a syrian that could xplain her attacking her roommate. if she's a dwarf then her pregnancy would make her mood very territorial. if you got her 2 weeks ago then as hamsterBoss said you'll probably see pups any day now.

once she has the pups you won't be able to touch her or the pups or clean the house for 2 weeks, so now is probably the time to do a good houscleaning for her, b4 she has her babies. also start giving her more protein in her diet cause nursing moms need lots of fuel! you can give her some shreds of lowfat cheese, or a bit of bread soaked in milk, or soymilk, tofu, egg... also a raw pnut will work.

#10 gordo

gordo

Baby Hamster

• 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 08:49 PM

I also need help. I think my hamster is pregnant too. I just got her a week ago. I mustr have bought her pregnant. But I carried her to my friends house to socialkize. They got along great. But his hamster was mating. I'm not sure if that was it. My hamster doesn't like people holding gaining excessive weight. HELLP!!!!!!

#11 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 10:00 PM

The following lists some sign of a pregnant hamster:
- weight gain a few days after mating
- more agressive/cranky
- the hamster starts building a nest
- your hamster eats more and hoards more food

Quoted from missPixy
"once she has the pups you won't be able to touch her or the pups or clean the house for 2 weeks, so now is probably the time to do a good houscleaning for her, b4 she has her babies. also start giving her more protein in her diet cause nursing moms need lots of fuel! you can give her some shreds of lowfat cheese, or a bit of bread soaked in milk, or soymilk, tofu, egg... also a raw pnut will work."

Also, after the hamster had given birth, do not disturb the mommy hamster (e.g. taking out the pups to play, touching the mummy hamster and the pups, making loud noises/ large movements near the cage etc) especially in the crucial first week. If she feel stressed on threatened she may eat her pups.

#12 Superhamster9393

Superhamster9393

Baby Hamster

• 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 10:02 AM

hi!!!
i have a really really really chubby hammy
she's built a nest
is she pregnant?
what are the signs of a pregnant hamster anyways?
She has not mated at least not that know about and she is fatter and she is eating more then usally and she is sleeping in the nest she seems kinda nervous and she has not mated can she be pregnant ?

#13 wiffy

wiffy

Ninja Ham

• Admin Team
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 10:09 AM

u have posted this in an earlier thread? I must posted my reply there

http://www.hamsterhideout.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=495

Please continue from there n do not double post thanks

#14 foxxyy

foxxyy

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 02:19 AM

Hey
i just found out my hammy might be pregnant so here are some ways to tell...
1. will gain appitite
2. will fill cheeks with food more so she can eat when having babies
3. being grumpy
4. doesnt want to be held
5. tummy gets bigger (noticably the back of the hammy)
6. sleeps at night
:hamster1: :hamster2:

#15 spicypixie

spicypixie

Baby Hamster

• 25 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 03:03 PM

i wonder... my girl girl mate a few days ago... and everytime she mates, she will start becoming aggressive and build nest... even her husband helps her... there is no visible weight gain though...