Photo

Best Commercial Hamster Cage For Syrian Hamster?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 diesel5599

diesel5599

Baby Hamster

• 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

Just got my first hamster last week and quickly realized there's a lot more to it than I'd realized. First I had to figure out what kind it was (Syrian) and now I'm trying as quickly as possible to find a suitable cage for it. I fell for the usual petstore Crittertrail spiel and now I am stuck with a cage that is too small for the hamster. I first realized it was way too small within 8hrs; when the hamster was too big to fit on the wheel and all of the wheels in the pet store big enough for the hamster are too big to fit in the cage.

Long story short I have been researching cages for about 12hrs now and seem to be no closer to getting one than when I started. At first I thought the simple fix was to just get another Crittertrail cage, connect it to the existing cage and put a big wheel in it, but then the lady at the store told me her Syrian grew too big to fit through the tubes so now the last thing I want to do is dump more money down the drain on a cage the hamster will outgrow.

Hamster Heaven: http://www.amazon.com/Savic-Hamster-Heaven-Navy-Blue/dp/B003QRPAR2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1361407946&sr=1-1&keywords=Hamster+Heaven+Metro seems to be the closest thing to what I am looking for but it is extremely pricey, the worst part is the shipping puts the price over $200.00. I have reached the point where I'm almost willing to spend the $200.00 for it but can't find a single owner review. Does anyone here have this cage?

The Habitrail OVO series looks promising and can probably be found locally, but it will quickly get pricey to get enough pieces to be big enough for the hamster. Due to aesthetics aquariums, bins, and DIY solutions are out.

Does anyone have any other commercial cage suggestions for Syrian Hamsters that are large enough to be standalone units? I would like to find one cage that is big enough for a Syrian hamster wheel, has a few tubes, and won't cost an arm and a leg.

I have found a few cages that fit the criteria but it seems like they are all in the UK with $50+ S/H, are hamsters more popular in the UK or something?

#2 Neé

Neé

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

I'm on my phone and can't provide a link but I have heard wonderful things about the Ferret 100 (I believe it is called that? Someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

#3 Mika

Mika

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

The UK is known for their production of large cages , unlike the US/Canada. While the UK has small cages
as well, they are prided for their large cage selections. It had nothing to do with popularity but rather the
manufacturing companies mostly.

Sadly in the US/Canada, you can never find a cage that is big enough so we opt for a few options that aren't
cages but can easily be a fraction of the price. It's a bin cage or even an aquarium. Keep in mind that a hamster
needs 360 square inches of floor space minimum to be able to truly strive. This doesn't include levels though, the
floor only. ^_^

Sadly , since you've said DIY , Bins , and Tanks are out of the possibilities, then your best bet may be a guinea pig
or rabbit cage. You can easily mesh it so the spacing is smaller. That way the hamster won't escape and it isn't a
bin or tank, etc. It is often much much larger and truly gives a hamster a lot of space to do what they do. ^_^

#4 Creative Hamster

Creative Hamster

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

This cage is pretty good and well priced:
http://www.amazon.co...ds=exotics cage

Just remove the higher levels as hamsters have a bad sense of height. Posted Image

Another cage:
http://www.amazon.com/Ferret-Kit-Cage-Size-Large/dp/B00BAKAYBO/ref=sr_1_12?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1361412884&sr=1-12&keywords=ferret+100

Edited by Creative Hamster, 21 February 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#5 NoaDaKiwi

NoaDaKiwi

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

I believe this is the cage that BubblePOP! was talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/Ferret-Kit-Cage-Size-Large/dp/B00BAKAYBO
http://www.wayfair.com/AandE-Cage-Co.-Ferret-Kit-Cage-FER-AEC1355.html

#6 Taxonomist

Taxonomist

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

Unfortunately, there aren't going to be too many options for you. Bins, tanks, and DIY cages are what most people here use, because they tend to be the easiest choices for a big cage.

In addition to what others have said, Biscotti talks about some big cages that you can order online in the US in this post.

#7 manderz

manderz

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

I have the Super Pet cage Creative Hamster mentioned. The shelves need to be moved around for a Syrian since they'll fall. It sells for about $75 on Amazon after tax. I have it set up like this-
Posted Image

#8 Biscotti

Biscotti

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

For Syrians, I definitely recommend the Ferret 100. It's *relatively* cheap, very spacious, and has enough vertical height for additional levels or hammocks. The Kevin 82 is large enough but with only 14" height, you may struggle to fit a 12" wheel along with beddings.

#9 diesel5599

diesel5599

Baby Hamster

• 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

Thanks everyone for your quick replies.

I have the Super Pet cage Creative Hamster mentioned. The shelves need to be moved around for a Syrian since they'll fall. It sells for about $75 on Amazon after tax. I have it set up like this-

I really like that cage, I'm going to do a tour of the local pet stores today to try to see it in person before buying. I checked Amazon and some of them complained about the quality of the metal bars. That cage, with some OVO tubes (I read they are big enough for Syrians) would be way cheaper and exactly what I'm looking for.

Edited by diesel5599, 22 February 2013 - 06:15 AM.

#10 manderz

manderz

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

Thanks everyone for your quick replies.
I really like that cage, I'm going to do a tour of the local pet stores today to try to see it in person before buying. I checked Amazon and some of them complained about the quality of the metal bars. That cage, with some OVO tubes (I read they are big enough for Syrians) would be way cheaper and exactly what I'm looking for.

I haven't had an issue with the bars BUT I did have an issue where one of my cages (I have 3) didn't have the shelves in the box. I don't know how that happened...but anyway, I contacted Amazon and they emailed me a shipping label to send it back. Two days after the original email, I had my new cage (with shelves of course). They give you about 30 or so days to send the original cage back, and ship out the new product once they're contacted. If they don't get it by the date agreed upon, THEN they charge you. Easy-peasy return service. Most pet stores around my way don't carry those cages so I don't know how common they are in chain pet stores. If you did buy one, I'd say just open the box carefully and check it well before destroying the box. Posted Image

#11 diesel5599

diesel5599

Baby Hamster

• 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

I did find one locally after trying the 3 biggest pet stores in the area; Pet Supermarket had one but it was $130.00 + tax. As much as I wanted it today, I'm not going to pay double Amazon's price so I ordered the one from Amazon. Hopefully I don't have the shelving problem you ran into, actually I wish they would include 3 more shelves so that I could make a safe 3rd floor for the hamster. Based on your picture it looks like there's enough room to make a 3rd floor as long as the hamster can't fall to the bottom.

I saw on Super Pet's website that you can order just the shelving: http://www.superpetusa.com/product-list/my-first-home-large-for-exotics.htm so if all goes well I'll have 3 floors, exercize wheel, and OVO tubing the hamster can use to get to the different levels.

Based on the high ratings and to allow me to make the second floor lower I got the Flying Saucer http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AT62G6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for the ground floor, a space pod to attach to the top http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002X2NBNQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and will probably use pieces from the Crittertrail along with OVO tubing to complete the setup.

I'll post pics when I get it all setup, will probably take a week or so for everything to arrive. I'm not sure who's going to have more fun with this, me or the hamster :)

#12 manderz

manderz

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, I forgot to mention though- the holes in the ramp you need to put the tubing through are going to need barriers. I don't know if you noticed but in that picture I posted, on the bottom, where the tube sticks through there is a grey-clear plastic around it? I used a scrap bin piece, but any scrap plastic or cardboard would do. It should be cut into about a 4.25-4.5" circle and then a smaller circle cut into the center of it to allow the width of your tubes. It holds well and mine is really tight and secure, yet comes apart with a reasonable amount of force for cleaning.

I love this cage though. Each of my Syrians uses it differently. One uses the upstairs moderately, only up there other than food/water on occasion, another is upstairs/downstairs quite often just hanging out all over, and the last one races upstairs just to run around and race back down. Hehe. I have a much better relationship with my guys after moving them into front opening cages as opposed to above opening like tanks/bins. :)

#13 diesel5599

diesel5599

Baby Hamster

• 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

I'm thinking I'm going to make 3 complete floors and make it so that the 2nd and 3rd are only accesible via tubing. I'll order enough shelving with no holes, then cut holes the size of the tubing, that's the plan anyway. Hard to plan it all without the cage, it should arrive tomorrow if Amazon's tracking number is accurate. Hard to beiieve they are going to deliver on a Saturday. Not sure yet what kind of hamster she is, if she prefers to run more than climb I'll stick with the ramps, but her current cage is just too small to know what she likes.

#14 Ldoerr

Ldoerr

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

I look forward to seeing this all come together. I order a LOT of stuff from amazon. I get unlimited free 2 day shipping. (Amazon Prime). With prime my mom has had 56" TVs that had to ship freight arive in 2 days and not have to pay for shipping. Prime is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!