Photo

hamster cross breeding

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 keshire

keshire

Baby Hamster

• 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Hello all!
A simple question, can hamsters be crossed bred with other types of hammies?
Like how people breed dogs like labrador and poodle to have a labradoodle ?

Maybe a robo x pudding or something..
i know for sure syrains are out of the question cause they are super huge and anti social...

^_^

#2 Taxonomist

Taxonomist

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

First, I would like to point out that Hamster Hideout is AGAINST casual breeding of hamsters. We feel that breeding should be left up to professionals who know what they are doing and have the money, resources, and knowledge to breed. We do not teach people how to breed hamsters here. This isn't intended to be a personal attack; just a note about our policy here on the forum. Posted Image

No, it's not possible (with one exception).

The reason that dogs can crossbreed is because they're all the same species of animal. They're all Canis lupus familiaris. They're just different variations on the same animal. A Labrador and a Poodle are basically the same animal--they just look slightly different. It's like how humans have different hair colors. Despite outward differences, we're all still humans.

It's not the same with hamsters. The 5 different types of hamsters are 5 completely different species of animal. Crossing Robo and a Pudding is like trying to breed a fish with a snake. Or a parrot with a monkey. They're completely different animals. Even if they did try to mate (they wouldn't; they'd just fight), their genes simply aren't compatible. The male's sperm wouldn't be able to fertilize the female's egg. Therefore, no babies.

Now, there is one exception to this. Pudding hamsters are actually hybrids between the Campbell's dwarf hamster (Phodopus campbelli) and the Winter White dwarf hamster (Phodopus sungorus). Puddings are kind of like the hamster version of a mule (horse x donkey) or a liger (lion x tiger). It's one of those rare, random instances where two different species of animal can cross-breed.

#3 KittyHamster

KittyHamster

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

I agree with The Taxanomist :) It's important to remember that hamsters are species not breeds thus cross breeding is as The Taxanomist explained is impossible apart from the WW/Campbells pairing as the WW is a sub species to the Campbells. However hybrids like the pudding are not terribly healthy due to the cross breeding.

#4 keshire

keshire

Baby Hamster

• 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Taxonomist and KittyHamster

thanks for the advice.
WOW. i didn't know that the different hamster breeds are actually different hamster species....
Okay, thanks for the explanation guys! ^_^

and Tax, I'm not breeding them myself.. a pet shop near my work area had a guy sale assistant and he was telling me that u can put the different hammies together so long u do a proper introduction.. Then i said, would they breed even if different breeds and stuff
so i thought i might as well ask the more hamster experienced members here :)

#5 Taxonomist

Taxonomist

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

No problem. And I'm sorry if the breeding thing came off wrong. It's just that I (along with most other members here) feel very strongly about casual breeding, because it can result in a lot of suffering and death. Especially attempting to breed different species...that's almost a surefire way to end up with a severely injured or dead hamster.

and Tax, I'm not breeding them myself.. a pet shop near my work area had a guy sale assistant and he was telling me that u can put the different hammies together so long u do a proper introduction.. Then i said, would they breed even if different breeds and stuff
so i thought i might as well ask the more hamster experienced members here Posted Image

For what it's worth the worker is wrong about this, too. Sounds like this guy was totally clueless about hamsters. Posted Image

The different species can never, ever be housed in the same cage. Again, this comes down to the fact that they're completely different animals.

Two animals that are the same species share a common "language." They can communicate via smells, sounds, and body signals. Because of this, they're able to negotiate and work things out peacefully, as opposed to fighting. Each animal also can recognize the other as a member of its own species. In the case of social species, they can see the other animal as a friend or ally.

But two different species of hamsters...well, they speak different "languages." So it's difficult--in fact, nearly impossible--for them to be able to coexist peacefully. Each one sees the other as a strange threat. For example, a Campbell's dwarf doesn't know what a "Robo" is. All it knows is that the Robo isn't another Campbell's dwarf. To that Campbell's dwarf, the Robo could be anything--a predator, a competitor, or an invader. The same goes for how the Robo views the Campbell's dwarf. So the two are almost certain to fight.

#6 keshire

keshire

Baby Hamster

• 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

yupp! thanks Tax, greatly appreciate your explanation!