Photo

Dog Treats Question (And Raw Pasta?)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Azura

Azura

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

I'm looking for a good chew for my Syrian the vet said his teeth were fine, but still mildly over grown. So after deciding on trying dog treats or biscuits, I scoured the site for information on what brand is good and what to look for in the ingredients. I thought I knew exactly what I was looking for and marched off to the store, but as soon as I started looking through the ingredients and such, I felt so lost and left without buying anything.

Everyone said Milkbones, so that was the first I checked, however there are so many additives that I feel lost reading the ingredients, are all these really good for a hammie?

Ingredients: Wheat flour, wheat bran, beef meal and beef bone meal, beef fat preserved with tocopherols, wheat germ, poultry by-product meal, dried vegetable pomace, salt, lamb meal, chicken meal, turkey meal, minerals (dicalcium phosphate, iron oxide, zinc sulfate, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide (source of iodine)), artificial color (includes yellow 5, red 40, blue 1), brewers dried yeast, malted barley flour, vitamins (choline chloride, dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), vitamin A acetate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, vitamin B12 supplement, d-activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D3)), sodium metabisulfite (dough conditioner), whey casein (a milk protein).

The second brand everyone said to look for was Old Mother Hubbard. This seemed to be a better choice, simple ingredients which was what I found most people said to look for. But almost everyone one of the types or flavors had garlic in it (an ingredient everyone agreed to stay away from). And also molasses, which I believe is high in sugar.

Old Mother Hubbard Mini Just Vegg'N Low Fat Dog Biscuits

Ingredients: Whole Wheat Flour, Oatmeal, Wheat Bran, Molasses, Carrots, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Ground Flaxseed, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Parsley, Garlic, Sea Salt.

Old Mother Hubbard Small Assorted Treats 2 oz

Ingredients: Whole Wheat Flour, Oatmeal, Wheat Bran, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Chicken, Cane Molasses, Turmeric, Paprika, Eggs, Apples, Carrots, Garlic Powder, Salt, Paprika Extracts, White Cheddar Cheese, Bone Charcoal, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness

Old Mother Hubbard P-Nuttier Dog Biscuits

Ingredients: Wheat flour, oatmeal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), crunchy peanut butter, molasses, malto dextrin, natural peanut butter flavor, cultured whey, eggs, whole ground apples, whole ground carrots, garlic, sea salt.

One brand that no one mentioned, maybe because it might be fairly new, is Wet Noses This brand showed real promise. Though they don't really have a 'original' flavor, I do think this might be my best bet. (Though Molasses shows up again, still unsure about that).

Wet Noses Organic Apple & Carrot Dog Treats

Ingredients: organic rye flour, organic apples, organic carrots, organic whole oats, organic canola oil, organic molasses and organic ground thyme

(I like the ground thyme, since I’ve read that it can be a good decongestant. My syrian is on an antibiotic, but seems to be pron to colds)

Wet Noses Organic Cheddar Dog Treats

Ingredients: organic rye flour, organic cheddar cheese, organic cane molasses, organic whole eggs, organic canola oil, organic dill and organic garlic

Wet Noses Organic Dogranola Dog Treats

Ingredients: organic rye flour, organic peanut butter, organic whole oats, organic flaxseed, organic dried cranberries, and organic cane molasses

Wet Noses Organic Peanut Butter & Molasses Dog Treats

Ingredients: organic rye flour, organic peanut butter, organic whole oats, organic whole eggs, organic canola oil, organic cane molasses and organic sunflower seeds

Wet Noses Organic Pumpkin Dog Treats

Ingredients: organic rye flour, organic pumpkin, organic canola oil, organic ginger and organic cinnamon

I'm just looking for someone's input to help me make a choice, it would be much appropriated.

Also, as my dwarf, I was thinking just giving him raw pasta? So I don't have to worry about his sugar intake as much? Any thoughts? (Though is there a danger? Since birds can't have raw rice, I don't know if it's connected?)

Thank you!

-Azura

#2 KittyHamster

KittyHamster

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Syrians are not prone to diabetes so I think the treats with molasses would be fine. As for the other stuff I have no clue sorry!

#3 Mika

Mika

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I would advise against the Old Mother Hubbard Dog Biscuits though.
They contain garlic which isn't healthy for hamsters and can be harmful with multiple intakes over a course of time.
You've noted this which is excellent. I did look over the ingredients of the other items provided and I think that with
the Wet Noses , the cheddar ones have to be avoided , also due to the garlic aspect. With it all , the molasses is a
big concern due to dwarfs being diabetic , in which raw pasta is fine every now and then. But not too much as I
found some hamsters had some difficulty digesting it due to it already being uncooked and raw. as a chew should
be alright.

I personally still recommend the milk bones since my whole entire zoo of four , plus 5 fosters , loves them too much!

#4 Freep

Freep

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

Garlic and onion should be avoided at all costs in anything you give a hamster.

I bought these ready for my hamster and the are cheap too :)
Wilko Crunchy Biscuit Bones Milk Flavour Mini 400g

#5 nebit

nebit

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Milk bones are full of fillers and junk. really not high quality treats, I'd avoid them. I don't even feed thme to my dog because of the junk they contain.

OMH I really like. I think the research on garlic has been spun WAY out of porportion. I read the original study that sparked the "dogs should not have garlic" thing, and they were feeding those dogs 2 CUPS of garlic a day. Nobody, reasonably eats that much garlic. ANYTHING in excessive quantites is bad for you, even water can kill you if you have too much.

Dog food packaging, the ingredients are listed by weight. See how garlic is the second to last ingredient in most of those? There's barely any garlic in there. They're safe, I'd feed them to mine.

Same with the molasses, in many of those cookies, it is towards the end of the ingredient list, since molasses is quite heavy, there's not much in there.

I'd go with OMH or Wet Noses. They're far better quality treats, and both would be ok for a hammy.

#6 Mika

Mika

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Milk bones are full of fillers and junk. really not high quality treats, I'd avoid them. I don't even feed thme to my dog because of the junk they contain.

OMH I really like. I think the research on garlic has been spun WAY out of porportion. I read the original study that sparked the "dogs should not have garlic" thing, and they were feeding those dogs 2 CUPS of garlic a day. Nobody, reasonably eats that much garlic. ANYTHING in excessive quantites is bad for you, even water can kill you if you have too much.

Dog food packaging, the ingredients are listed by weight. See how garlic is the second to last ingredient in most of those? There's barely any garlic in there. They're safe, I'd feed them to mine.

Same with the molasses, in many of those cookies, it is towards the end of the ingredient list, since molasses is quite heavy, there's not much in there.

I'd go with OMH or Wet Noses. They're far better quality treats, and both would be ok for a hammy.

That may be true , but I would still encourage the idea of avoiding garlic. I won't say you're incorrect as you do bring up valuable point too (:
From where I understand this , purely from information given from my vet , garlic intake will target the hamster's kidneys the most and lead
to various kidney problems with a prolonged amount of intake. Unlike dogs , hamsters are much smaller in side , so the effects should be
much faster than that of a dog's size. This has led to some hamsters having kidney problems but that is his experience , not mine. ^_^

Upon the note of molasses , it is not the fact of how much is in there , but rather the fact that it is in there , from what I understand to this. I
own four hamsters and have always avoided molasses as much as i could. Not that it's low upon the list , but that it's naturally high in sugar.
No matter how much is in there. That sugary-glucose content will help progress diabetes with prolonged intake as well.

Edited by Mika, 11 January 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#7 Creative Hamster

Creative Hamster

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

With my experience, I only feed a mini milkbone (for small dogs) once a month to my hamster. I just break it in half, so one half will be for two weeks and the other half of the bone will be for the other two weeks. Milkbones are a good source of protein, but should only be fed sparingly. You can also make your own chews which you know the ingredients of, like this hamster cookie which I've made myself and is nice and hard for the hamster to chew on. I recommend it for syrians because this recipe has honey and raisins. :)

Spoiler

#8 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

I really like the Milk Bones, i think they are just fine for a Dog or Syrian (In fact they are fairly safe for humans because when I was a young kid like 4 or something I would actually eat the milk bones as a snack in church! xD Boy did I get weird stares!) Posted Image As they don't have Onions or Garlic. Sides, Why Trust a Company That Puts Onions and Garlic in their Treats when they Should have done research and should know dogs CANNOT have garlic or onions. Just my Thoughts. Better be Safe than sorry.

Edited by SyrianPumpkin, 12 January 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#9 Creative Hamster

Creative Hamster

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

I really like the Milk Bones, i think they are just fine for a Dog or Syrian (In fact they are fairly safe for humans because when I was a young kid like 4 or something I would actually eat the milk bones as a snack in church! xD Boy did I get weird stares!) Posted Image As they don't have Onions or Garlic. Sides, Why Trust a Company That Puts Onions and Garlic in their Treats when they Should have done research and should know dogs CANNOT have garlic or onions. Just my Thoughts. Better be Safe than sorry.

lol SP, is that true? That's so funny and cute! :laughing: do you remember how they taste? Maybe like beef or chicken Posted Image

#10 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Haha yep it's very true, They don't like like meat more like fish food pellets and the reason I know the taste of fish food pellets is another story young ones!

#11 nebit

nebit

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I ate milk bones as kid too, they taste disgusting. Ok, not disgusting, but not good, and not like chicken or beef or anything of the sort.

And they're junky treats. Bone meal and by-product meal, are low quality ingredients. And no animals needs artificial coloring. Dogs CAN have garlic. You can even buy garlic supplements designed to help with flea control for dogs. They just can't have it in large quanitities, but anything in too large a quantity is bad for you.

As far as molasses, all sorts of things contain sugar. The less thats in there, the less sugar it has. Moderation is key. Many of those seed treat bars and such are very high in sugar. These should be very much lower in comparision. All animals need some sugar to survive, the key is not to eliminate it completely, but to keep it in healthy amounts.

#12 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

I thought they tasted just fine. okay, So dogs can have it? That doesn't mean Hamsters can. I'm still saying get milk bones.

#13 nebit

nebit

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

The other treats are much higher quality than milk bones. If the garlic and molasses concern her that much, she can go with the Pumpkin flavor Wet Noses, which contain niether. I'd chance the garlic and molasses in miniscule quantities over the by products and artficial colors and chemicals in milk bones any day- for a hamster, human, or dog.

#14 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

Whatever it's her choice.

#15 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

Please don't argue. :begging:

It is the OP's choice in the end. It's good she is able to hear opinions from both sides to form her own conclusion, but every pet owner has their own way of doing things and we should all respect each other. :)