Photo

MITES?!?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

Uhhh...so I am positive Darmani's cage has mites! I cleaned her out last weekend, and last night I took her out as I usually do, in her ball and after I put her back for bed I found myself incredibly itchy. Especially in my hair line. I managed to spot a tiny little white bug crawling on my skin....I am so disgusted.
In a panic I took her back out and inspected her; no hair loss, no irritation. Nothing! She seems fine.

The strange thing is....where exactly would she have acquired them? I guess I really don't know much about them, and assumed they were passed through other pets (like if you just got one from a petstore or something)....meeerrrr.

Could they have been in the Carefresh from the bag? I think I have heard members before having problems with this. I mix Carefresh with Aspen bedding so she can make nests.

I also remember people recommending freezing the bedding before use. However, the problem is my parents STILL don't know I have her, and keeping hamster bedding in the freezer....is going to get me busted. :/

How in the heck do I get rid of these things??

#2 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

I'm guessing it Came from a bag of bedding, It really sucks you can't freeze the bedding without your parents seeing, You should buy a mini freeze and put it in your room! xD haha Any ways heres a remedy for mites!

Mites / Parasites

Home-made remedy for mites (From Marlene of Hamsterific. Original quoted post here)
Mix 1 tablespoon of Listerine and 1 tablespoon of Witch Hazel with 2 cups of boiled water cooled down to room temperature. Put the mixed solution in a spray water bottle for plants and spray it on your hands. Rub your fingers all over the hamster's body, careful to avoid the face area and all the while working your fingers into the skin so that it's all covered with the solution. Note that the hamster should not be made soaking wet else he/she might catch a chill. Apply this solution once a day and put the hamster straight back to the cage. Continue for 3-4 days until there are no signs of the mites. Wash the cage and accessories more frequently during this period with a double strength solution (2 tablespoon of Listerine and 2 tablespoon of Witch Hazel with 2 caps of water). Also recommended to spray the surrounding area, for example the shelf area and floor where the cage is, with this solution.

#3 Zoe's Zoo

Zoe's Zoo

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:25 AM

And another thing, which is probably kind of obvious, you'd have to get a new bag of CF, preferably from a different store (and if they have batch numbers or anything make sure it's not the same one)

#4 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,813 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:26 AM

Ivomec injectable is sold online and is what I give to my dwarfs when
they get mites. they get it oral, a very scant amount. a vet can use this
med and dilute it down further.

they get the med once, and their habitat is completely cleaned out.
then, in another 7 days, they get a second dose and the habitat is
cleaned out again. this catches any eggs that hatched between the
first dose and the second.

usually a hamster doesn't need a third dosing. it's a very strong med
though, and a dwarf only needs like half a drop~~ barely enough to
take up and administer in an oral syringe. that's why it can be better
for a vet to give you a diluted version because it's easier to dose.

#5 Lillias

Lillias

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Are you sure it's mites and not some other pest? I find it strange that you are itchy and she isn't.

#6 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

Sorry for the late reply.
She's been itching a lot now. :\ Like. She'll be running on her wheel, and stop several times in a duration to scratch. I completely cleaned out her cage with hot soap and water a few times, and made up that solution SP suggested. I'll keep doing that and see what happens; if not I'll do what you suggest Pixy. Only because I am down on money because of university, but I am not being cheap; merely trying the cheaper option before moving on.

And Lillias: they're tiny-TINY little...I don't want to say white because I know they're not lice...but whitish-brown They definitely originated from her cage because I noticed them in there first, before her or I got itchy. But the weird thing is, I am only really itchy when I handle her.

#7 yolkalee

yolkalee

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

do you take showers every night? do you have a sandbath for your ham?

#8 Lillias

Lillias

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

And Lillias: they're tiny-TINY little...I don't want to say white because I know they're not lice...but whitish-brown They definitely originated from her cage because I noticed them in there first, before her or I got itchy. But the weird thing is, I am only really itchy when I handle her.

Well, now that she is scratching, then it makes sense that it's mites. If it weren't bothering her, then something that feeds off of humans would make more sense (though there are types of mites that do that as well).

We might have mites here too. I haven't seen or felt anything, but my poor hammy has scratched herself to bleeding. :(

Edited by Lillias, 07 October 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#9 yolkalee

yolkalee

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

aw poor guy!

#10 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

Yes, I am quite good on my own personal hygiene. Hahaa..And she has a sand bath, yes. But I don't keep it in all the time because she's taken to storing food and using it as a nest (???) if I leave it in there too long...she's the strangest hamster ever. She changes the location of her nest like, twice a week ahaha. She uproots ALL the toilet paper and bedding, and moves it. She's insane.

Anyways. Been using the treatment for a few days. I have been noticing a bit of an improvement. She's still not got any bald spots, or even bleeding. I'll keep her sand bath in there all the time now, and change it ever few days, and see if that helps. She's also got some play sand and reptile dirt as a portion of her substrate, so she's got other stuff to roll around in, as well.

I'm just rattled about the bedding, though.

#11 Lillias

Lillias

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

Lol, personal hygiene doesn't have much to do with hamster mites, since they live on hamsters, not humans.

I'm not sure how much the sand bath will help. She might rub off some mites, but then they'd still be alive in her cage. It won't hurt though, since she has no open wounds. The witch hazel and listerine (actually I got the off-brand) seems to help.

Regarding bedding, I also can't freeze it. The freezer is just too small/full. I'm going to experiment with putting new bedding in something airtight and ''aging'' it for a month or two, so that any mites will have starved.

My current issue is that I would like to treat my other (so far unaffected) hamster with the homemade remedy in case she has a few mites, seeing as she uses the same bedding. But she's a mostly untamed robo. I can barely hold her, let alone slather her with witch hazel and mouthwash. And doing so will make her mistrust me even more.

#12 yolkalee

yolkalee

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

you could brush her with a bristle toothbrush, see if that helps..............................