Photo

What do you do if your hamster has fleas?

Fleas Parasites Scratching Remedies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 starburns

starburns

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

I think my hamster has fleas, we just recently lost our beloved cat who lived for 18 years, and he sometimes walked out the door, and we had to put him back inside but I think he got fleas when he walked out, because it is summertime, and this summer there have just been millions of them jumping in the grass, and they have come into our home and my hamster is scratching more than usual and I just saw one jump onto her, what do I do about it :S help D: please, I can't go to the vet or the pet store, I'm grounded and my mom said I'm not buying anything for you ever again, not even for your hamster! Which is totally stupid she said she'll only buy food once it all ran out, so I need some kind of home remedy, and Izzy isn't quite tame yet and I need help!!!

#2 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

FIRST: do not under any circumstances put flea stuff for dogs or
cats on your hamster. lots of these are toxic to hamsters.

NEXT: some ideas.

The Light Test:

If you believe fleas have invaded your home, assess the damage by adding a few drops of dish detergent to a plate filled with water. Situate the plate on the floor close to a lamp. Attracted to the light, fleas will jump into the plate and drown.

Rosemary:

Grind or finely chop fresh rosemary leaves into a fine dusty powder and sprinkle in your hamster's nest as a way to repel fleas. Rosemary also possesses anti-inflammatory properties that also stimulate the growth of hair lost from frequent scratching and biting of fleas.

Lavender:

Grind or finely chop fresh rosemary leaves into a fine dusty powder and sprinkle in your hamster's nest as a way to repel fleas. Rosemary also possesses anti-inflammatory properties that also stimulate the growth of hair lost from frequent scratching and biting of fleas.

Floor Washing:

Washing your floors with a lemon solution will keep fleas away. Combine the juice of four lemons (including the rinds) with two liters (or 1/2 gallon) of water [2]. Wash the floors/furniture surrounding your hamster's home.

Edited by missPixy, 22 August 2012 - 12:16 AM.

#3 starburns

starburns

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

I've heard of the plate thing and I will try that thank you Posted Image (but I really hate fleas and it seems like they're impossible to get rid of!!!)

#4 Baileybails

Baileybails

Baby Hamster

• 42 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

maybe you could fog your house but all your animals cant be in the house so your hamster could go in the bathroom and close the door and put down a towel so the fog cant get in. that kills all the fleas that are in your house. the ones on your hamster, could jump off of her and die. hoped this helped youcan buy the fogger at like walmart or lowes . hope i helped good luck. sorry that your grounded. :(

#5 starburns

starburns

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:30 PM

I'm trying the lemon and rosemary thing right now