Photo

Using a 25-30 gallon tank as a cage?

Tank cage confused

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah-Sore

Sarah-Sore

Baby Hamster

• 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

I'm back! :D Hi everyone. So my friends baby hamster have gotten hair and are pretty cute, heres a photo!
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/388150_3087864375145_1854299938_n.jpg
I like the black one.
Anyways, can I use a 25-30 gallon tank as my hamsters cage? and if so how would I put the water in and such? Thanks! :D

#2 Illa

Illa

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

A 25-30 is a perfect, the recemended is 20 and you went OVER congratz :)
You can get a water bottle holder (make sure it sticks too tanks and is secure) and you can put that on ;)

#3 Chaissony

Chaissony

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

I had a 20G for my previous hamster, Snooki, which was a DISASTER. Let's put it this way, she escaped 3 times, and it was just a plain catastrophe.
A bit of advice, have a good, locking mesh lid. As for water, you can usually get a holder, and my wheel (Silent Spinner) came with a stand for such a thing. DON'T have a water dish, though as your ham-ham could drown!

#4 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,435 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:54 AM

and if so how would I put the water in and such?

This really threw me :P I thought "Why would you fill it with water?!?! Just because it's a tank??!"
Then I realised you probably meant a water bottle :P

Many water bottles have sucker attachments to hold the waterbottle inside a glass tank :) Or you can bend some wire, like coathanger wire into a loop shape and hang it over the top lip of the tank.
Everyone has wire coathangers :) Noone knows WHY they have them, or from where they came, but everyone has them. :P
It is the mystery of the wire coathanger!

#5 Taxonomist

Taxonomist

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

A 25-gallon tank would not be suitable for a hamster, I'm afraid. Although it has a larger volume than a 20-gallon long (a commonly recommended tank here), that volume is due to how tall it is. A 25-gallon tank actually has less floor space than a 20-gallon long--it's only 24" long x 12" wide [x 20" high]. This means that it only offers 288 square inches of floor space. That's well under the minimum cage size of 360 square inches recommended here.

A 30-gallon tank (36" long x 18" wide) is a good size, however.

As far as attaching a water bottle, there are several options. One is to use suction cups. Another is to use Velcro, but I'm not 100% sure how this method works. The easiest way would be to get a water bottle holder that can hang over the edge of the tank.

#6 bobthealien

bobthealien

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:59 AM

how would I put the water in and such? Thanks! Posted Image

Walmart sells a TERRIBLE water bottle for small pets. Petco sells a terrific one. Buy both. Use the hanger and little wire holder for the tank, and use the Petco bottle for water =) It is not leaky, and it is working terrifically!! Walmart bottle drips, a LOT. Petco bottle with Walmart holder, PERFECT!!!! ( I lost the wire thing that attached the Petco bottle to wire cages, so I was like
Spoiler

#7 Sarah-Sore

Sarah-Sore

Baby Hamster

• 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

A 25-gallon tank would not be suitable for a hamster, I'm afraid. Although it has a larger volume than a 20-gallon long (a commonly recommended tank here), that volume is due to how tall it is. A 25-gallon tank actually has less floor space than a 20-gallon long--it's only 24" long x 12" wide [x 20" high]. This means that it only offers 288 square inches of floor space. That's well under the minimum cage size of 360 square inches recommended here.

A 30-gallon tank (36" long x 18" wide) is a good size, however.

As far as attaching a water bottle, there are several options. One is to use suction cups. Another is to use Velcro, but I'm not 100% sure how this method works. The easiest way would be to get a water bottle holder that can hang over the edge of the tank.

I just measured and its 30'' long x 13 '' wide, would I be able to slide by with that?

#8 Luci

Luci

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

Yes, that's 390 square inches which is good :)

#9 Sarah-Sore

Sarah-Sore

Baby Hamster

• 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

Yes, that's 390 square inches which is good Posted Image

Alright, perfect!! Thank you so soo much! :D

#10 Taxonomist

Taxonomist

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

I just measured and its 30'' long x 13 '' wide, would I be able to slide by with that?

Yeah, that's fine (as Luci mentioned, it's 390 sq. in.). Odd, though; I thought aquarium sizes were standardized. How high is it (just curious)?

#11 Illa

Illa

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

Yes perfect size!

Did you hanging the bottle yet

#12 stuffedwheel

stuffedwheel

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

Just a thought, but it could be a reptile tank? I've noticed a lot of reptile tanks are a bit shorter than standard aquariums. Don't know if that's a trend or just the tanks I've seen.

Anyway. For my gerbils, I have to use zip ties for the water bottles and hang them from the mesh. They would chew on anything else I'd tried. PetSmart actually sells a bottle that hangs perfectly in tanks with this method. This one:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755135&lmdn=Product+Type

For my hamsters... to be honest, I use various methods. From zip ties, to velcro. There are a few that work. I find the zip tie to the mesh to be ideal, since it prevents chewing as long as the hamster cannot reach the mesh.

Azayles, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that! I about fell out of my chair, lol. Then I realized that the OP meant water bottle and I felt silly. lol

Anyway. 390 square inches is perfect. I would love to get Charlie a bigger tank, to be honest. He seems okay in 360 square inches... but I have my eyes on a bigger tank at PetSmart that I just know he'd love. The bigger, the better. :)

#13 Sarah-Sore

Sarah-Sore

Baby Hamster

• 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

Yeah, that's fine (as Luci mentioned, it's 390 sq. in.). Odd, though; I thought aquarium sizes were standardized. How high is it (just curious)?

So It'd be fine for a syrian hamster?
Its 16'' deep but the tank as a slight story behind it.
When I got this tank, it had hermit crabs in it, and once my hermit crabs passed I just had it lying around. I few days after my last hermit crab died my brother apartment caught on fire, SOMEHOW 3 of his fish survived so we put water in the tank and the bought everything they needed for it and now its a fish tank.
They'll be moving into their new place in September and will be taking their fish than and thats when I'm going to scrub it clean, buy a mesh top and get everything ready for a hamster :)

#14 Pickles12807

Pickles12807

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Walmart sells a TERRIBLE water bottle for small pets.

Three of my four hamsters actually use the cheap water bottles from Walmart, and I have actually been pleasantly surprised with them. I figured they'd leak a lot since they're like $2 each, but none of my three leak!

#15 bobthealien

bobthealien

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:44 PM

Well there was a time when I was wiping down Tweek's cage with the bottle on there, and I put a towel on it. I came back up and within 2 minutes the water bottle had completely emptied. And, it always left a 3 inch circle of where it dripped in the bedding. So I use Petco brand water bottles =)