Photo

How can you tell your hamster is pregnant?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Softnsweet

Softnsweet

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

Im slightly concerned about my female syrian after i heard a story about a pregnant hammy bought from pets @ home! Shes a bit chubby for starters,i dont over feed. Shes been re-arranging her house (sleeping in different areas,and burrowing). I got her at 10 weeks?is there a possibility?eek :/

#2 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

Generally rapid weight gain, more cranky behaviour and building a nest are Signs of a pregnant hamster.

Here is Goya when she was NOT pregnant when I first brought her home:
Posted Image
You could still see her nipples and what appears to be a lump in her body. I thought she was pregnant but nothing occured and so I narrowed it down to her recent diet/environment change from her previous home to mine. (ie: Bloating.)

Here she is after being impregnated a few months later:
Posted Image

Edited by SyrianPumpkin, 15 August 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#3 LoveeofZeus

LoveeofZeus

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

Also, their body will be more of "pear" shape ;) And their nipples will start to show too. I think :P

Hehe! :D

#4 Illa

Illa

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:13 AM

This should be in the breeding category but, visable nippes, making a nest, bigger around middle, missing heat cycles.
Was she around any males?

#5 Softnsweet

Softnsweet

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:08 AM

I will pick her up when shes awake and check her. She was the only hammy left when i bought her so im not sure if she was with boys. Can they get pregnant at only 10 weeks?i hope she isnt :/

#6 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:28 AM

I will pick her up when shes awake and check her. She was the only hammy left when i bought her so im not sure if she was with boys. Can they get pregnant at only 10 weeks?i hope she isnt :/

yes it is Possible,Sexual maturity is reached at around 5-6 weeks of age.

#7 Softnsweet

Softnsweet

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:33 AM

Omg thats young! Ok now im worried!

#8 Illa

Illa

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

Incase your sure find homes asap
Does she meet all the requirments

Is she hoarding food bringing it too her fairly large nest?

#9 Softnsweet

Softnsweet

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

The panic is over,i didnt realise but iv had her for 7 weeks,and it only takes over 2 weeks for pregnancy so she isnt pregnant yay!but she is chubby and making a nest?perhaps shes too big for her small house?

#10 starburns

starburns

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:21 AM

This happened with my friends sisters hamster, she got it from pets at home, they told her it was a male, and when they got home they looked and it was a female and pets at home sometimes get them confused as well. I don't think she is because if she was pregnant she would have already had the baby, it takes 2-3 weeks for Syrians to have their babies