Photo

Major Sexing Error (Robo Dwarf Hamster)

wrongly sexed hamsters dwarf robo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 AnthonysAnimals101

AnthonysAnimals101

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:33 AM

Okay so the image below is what I thought was a female but after checking pictures online it looks different is she actually he? if so Why is she/he swollen?

Posted Image

The image below is what I thought was a male:

Posted Image

Please help!

#2 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:01 AM

The top is definitely (or from what I can tell from the quality) is male. He's not swollen, those are his testicles. It's hard to sex robos, but typically the "belly button" is higher up the abdomen, and is the male's external sex organ, the penis.

The female's parts are all internal, obviously so the "belly button" type bump is usually right above the anus. Sometimes the belly-button looking appendage is higher up than you might think, and can be in between what is classified as male or female, making it hard to determine the sex. I had this problem with my robos.

I really hope you don't have them housed together, though. If so, you can almost guarantee your female is pregnant.

#3 malloria

malloria

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

Notice the yellow-colored fur in the top photo--it's from the secretion of the male's scent gland. Male = photo 1; female = photo 2.

#4 GoalieGotGame

GoalieGotGame

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:01 AM

You can always visit an exotic vet who will sex them for a low cost or free. I've met a lot of vets that would much rather take 5 minutes out of their day to sex a hamster than have you have a pregnancy on there hands. The bottom picture does look like a female because I can not see a penis but you never know, every hamster is different.