Photo

Question about food expiration

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 brebanana93

brebanana93

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

When I first got my lovely Gus Gus on Christmas, I immediately ordered a three-pack of Hazel Hamster online (it was a good deal). However now I'm concerned that I maybe didn't need three bags... I'm just now almost finished with the first bag, and the "best by" on the remaining two bags is AUG 12. I'll be able to finish another one by then, but definitely not a third (the remaining two bags haven't been opened though).

How long after the "best by" date is the food still good for? I really don't want to end up having to throw an entire bag of food away. That would really suck, lol.

Also, on a different topic.... There seems to be a LOT more corn and peas in this batch than I ever remember there being. I try my best to pick out every piece I see before it makes it into his bowl, but sometimes I miss one and he finds them immediately Posted Image The occasional missed piece isn't too bad for him is it?

Edited by brebanana93, 16 April 2012 - 12:32 AM.

#2 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:11 AM

Well I think you can keep the bag in the freezer to make the food last a little longer. :) Also, to your other question, just a few pieces here and there shouldn't be bad. :)

#3 Lillias

Lillias

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

I agree with PrincessHamster.

I would stick the unopened bags in the freezer now and just take them out when you are ready to use them.

The occasional piece is perfectly fine. It's just more of a treat than a nutritious food.

#4 brebanana93

brebanana93

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:21 AM

Okay I'll try that!
And I'm glad that the occasional piece isn't terrible Posted Image

Thanks for the help (: