Photo

My new hamster has one really RED SWOLLEN PAW!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 yourstrulygaby

yourstrulygaby

Baby Hamster

• 36 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

I just got my WW today from petsmart. She's very active and looks healthy BUT I just noticed while I watched her eat that her left paw is really swollen and redder then the other paws. She has like a huge bubble on top of her paw and (I think but I'm not sure) one on the bottom of it too and just over all swelling on her whole paw. Her paws are so small (even the swollen one) and she moves so fast I didn't notice until now! She seems otherwise healthy, but I'm really worried! She had a mesh wheel at the pet store, is that why her paw is like that? Is this life threatening? What should I do?? What can I do? She has a big solid wheel now and I have carefresh bedding. I'm kinda freaking out, I'm already sooo attached to her. :scared: :scared: :scared:

EDIT: Apon closer examination it seems like her right paw is also swollen just not as bad and not red. Her toes are soo fat and swollen too! I feel so bad she looks like she can baraly hold seeds with her paws like that! If it gets any wrose she might not be able to hold smaller seeds at all. I feel like this probably from her mesh wheel at petsmart!?

Edited by yourstrulygaby, 15 April 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#2 malloria

malloria

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

A photo or several would be very helpful here. Can you take photos of the swollen areas?

#3 yourstrulygaby

yourstrulygaby

Baby Hamster

• 36 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

Getting a photo right now would be impossible. I only have my <lousy> phone camera to take it, it's to dark in my room and she wont sit still for a clear photo. But I'll try and find some photos that look like it!

My hamster is a WW and her paws are a little more around and fury than this syrain's but for the most part it kinda looks like that. Only it's her front paws, and her toes are also more swollen especially one toe, and the top of her paw also as a bump on it (this photo only shows the bottom). Her other paw is similar just not as bad or red. There also does not seem to me any open wounds that I can tell, it's just really really red.
Posted Image
So far this is the best I can find I'll post more if I find more.

Edited by yourstrulygaby, 15 April 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#4 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,387 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

What type of wheel is she running on? The location of it on her foot makes me wonder about bumblefoot. You want to make sure it's a solid wheel without any wire mesh. The other thing could be some sort of injury with infection setting in. I had a hamster who had a very swollen paw (very recently actually!) and I applied Manuka 16+ honey to his foot 2 times per day and within a week it was back to normal. I would suggest you doing that. :)

Edited by HoppingHammy, 15 April 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#5 yourstrulygaby

yourstrulygaby

Baby Hamster

• 36 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

@HoppingHammy yes she has a solid wheel, but I just got her from petsmart, and petsmart was using a mesh wheel. I am deff going to try and get that honey! Where is it sold?

I think I'm also going to soak the inflamed feet in a natural saline solution to clean it so it won't get any more infected.

Also I read tea tree oil might help. Is this true? Or does anyone know of like an all purpose antibiotics cream or drops I could get without a Rx that might help? idk I'm deff going to try the honey tho.

Edited by yourstrulygaby, 15 April 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#6 Jolty

Jolty

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

Do not use tea tree oil on your hamster. It can kill both dogs and cats, so I would not recommend using it on a hamster.

Also, I got it in my eye once, and it was one of the worst pains I've ever experienced. (As in, I collapsed on the bathroom floor and cried/rolled around in pain.) If you put it on your hamster's paws, it could get in her eyes.

Edited by Jolty, 15 April 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#7 yourstrulygaby

yourstrulygaby

Baby Hamster

• 36 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

Ok so the saline solution soak was a no go! :/// I just got her and she still so shy and timid I don't want to traumatized her by picking her up and putting her feet in water. I tried to trick her into steping in a shallow dish with the saline solution but even that scared her and took forever and I think her feet barely even got wet... So I have no idea how I would put honey on her feet?? She not tamed yet and I don't want her first exprinces with me to be scary or forceful.. I don't know what to do.. Is there something I could put in her water that will help the swelling go down and help clear up an infection?

#8 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,387 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:25 AM

My hamster is a WW

Just to clear this up, you have a Syrian hamster. :) A "WW" is a Winter White, and they are a dwarf.

I would not recommend you soaking her foot in anything right now, as it would be too traumatic. A thyme tea solution (you can find the recipe for it on here) is recommended also, but the manuka honey really works wonders. It's sold at health food stores (such as Whole Foods or Wild Oats); you can't find it at a regular grocery store. Also, it's fairly pricey, but every bit worth it and STILL much cheaper then a vet appointment. :yes: Just make sure it is 16+ or higher rating, since that is the most beneficial.

To put it on her foot, I recommend wearing soft garden gloves to hold her (it helps you get a better grip then you don't have to worry about her biting), and have someone help spread it on her foot and rub it in as best as possible. She'll probably lick it afterwards, but this is fine as it helps push the honey deeper in her skin, and also she is keeping it clean.

#9 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:27 AM

Just to clear this up, you have a Syrian hamster. Posted Image A "WW" is a Winter White, and they are a dwarf.

The picture she posted is an example of what the paw looks like, but that pic is not of her hamster.

#10 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,387 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

Ooops! I am sorry. Somehow missed that part. Posted Image Posted Image Thanks tinypixie!

#11 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:13 AM

Ooops! I am sorry. Somehow missed that part. Posted Image Posted Image Thanks tinypixie!

heehehe no worries., When I saw it last night I was like...um... that's totally not a WW, but then upon further inspection I figured it out. I was *this* close to typing the same exact thing you did Posted Image

#12 PinkPumpkinGirl

PinkPumpkinGirl

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

heehehe no worries., When I saw it last night I was like...um... that's totally not a WW, but then upon further inspection I figured it out. I was *this* close to typing the same exact thing you did Posted Image

Me too! :P

#13 yourstrulygaby

yourstrulygaby

Baby Hamster

• 36 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

She is a WW.. Please read this all:

Does anyone know if this could be life threating? Will it get better now that she has a big solid wheel that I clean daily and lot's of clean soft bedding, even if I can't effectively put ointment (special honey) on her foot that much? I tried putting some manuka honey active 12+ (it was the only one I could find. I'll be looking for 16+ tho) with a cotton q-tip but every time the q-tip would toch her paw she'd jerk back! i tried this several times and even gave her treats inbetween but no luck.. so I only got to put a teeny little bit on and she ended up licking her paws forever after I gave up.

Is there anything I could put in her water or food to help the infection/inflamation? An antibiotics or something?

I put a little bit of all natrual organic vitamin C powder in her water, so if anything it can boost her imune system to help fight infection in her foot better. But I put very little since I wasn't sure how much I should put. I got the powder from a 500 mg capsul and I probably put like little over 1/10th of it (like a pinch), so i'm thinking i put around 70 mg maybe in a full water bottle that she's drinks very slowly. I tasted the water and you can barely taste a slight hint of it. She drank a bit and didn't seem to notice a difference. When I'm trying to fight a throat infection (I get them a lot I think I need to have my tonsils removed or something) I take like 2000 mg in one shot so I'm thinking 70 mg taken slowly thourgh out several days is maybe close to the eqvilant in a hamster sized dose. Does anyone know the vitamin C healthy limit a day for hamsters? So I can better measure how much I should put. I read extra vitamin C can help cure bumble foot in rodents, and I figured it couldn't hurt to put a little.

Please respond with helpful asnwers.. thanks guys..

Edited by yourstrulygaby, 17 April 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#14 yourstrulygaby

yourstrulygaby

Baby Hamster

• 36 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

Here is the best picture I could get. She was eating a seed. This is my WW, and her wrose paw, the other one is just slightly smaller and less red. You can't see it here but one of her toes is more swollen than the rest and her nail is sideways instead of like the other ones.
Posted Image

#15 yourstrulygaby

yourstrulygaby

Baby Hamster

• 36 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

ok I am taking her to a vet thats sees hamsters today at petsmart and petsmart is picking up the bill.