Photo

please help !

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 natalie Marie

natalie Marie

Baby Hamster

• 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

I recently bought a hamster at petco maybe two weeks ago and I've been having nothing but trouble handling him. petco probably wasn't the best way to go because of the fact they weren't held there. I don't know what to do I've tried to just put my hand in his tank from time to time to get him used to my hand and touch but he runs or tries to nibble at me. tonight I fed him and went to try to hold him but he jumped out of my hands. I don't know what to do I really like him I think he's cute and has a great personality by just watching him but he makes me feel horrible that he doesn't trust me. I have no idea what to do.

#2 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

Don't give up hope! Sometimes it takes hamsters a while to warm up to us... and sometimes... they never really do. Each hamster is different. But I strongly encourage you to be patient and keep trying! Always have a treat handy, and even if he makes a very slight improvement, be sure to reward him. Then, perhaps you can build up to greater things. He needs to learn that being near, touched by, and eventually handled by you means good things like treats or a fun time out of his house.

It's hard not to get discouraged, but really, give it more time :)

Edited by tinypixiexoxo, 14 April 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#3 PinkPumpkinGirl

PinkPumpkinGirl

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Have you read our taming guide? Here it is: http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5988. Please also check out the positive reinforcement taming thread too! Here:http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20110

#4 natalie Marie

natalie Marie

Baby Hamster

• 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

I know I just feel like he hates me I have read and I have a tissue in my bra as we speak lol

#5 PinkPumpkinGirl

PinkPumpkinGirl

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

I know I just feel like he hates me I have read and I have a tissue in my bra as we speak lol

That's kinda funny because I do too! LOL! :laughing:

#6 natalie Marie

natalie Marie

Baby Hamster

• 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

I've been doing the tissue thing and stuff but for whatever reason Charlie is still biting.

#7 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Is he biting or is he nibbling? Nibbling shouldn't hurt, at leats not too much. It's part of how they explore and understand new things, especially as their eyesight is not a strong sense for them.
Also what kind of hamster is Charlie?

#8 Harmony

Harmony

Baby Hamster

• 20 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

What kind of reaction do you have when he nibbles? Perhaps he is running away if you are jumpy(which I totally understand-but you will need to overcome it to tame your hamster), and he wants to explore.
I recently got a dwarf hamster(named Harmony) and she is NOT a biter, but if she crawls into my hand and smells something, she nibbles here and there. It isn't painful, and I don't react in a negative manner.
Assuming you mean nibbling and he isn't clamping down and drawing blood or something.

#9 dwarfazize

dwarfazize

Baby Hamster

• 11 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

Try feeding him his favorite treats,
for my hamster this means sunflower seeds, that way the hamster can associate the hand with rewards, also try to gently talk to him, it sounds to me as if he's still nervous or scared give it time and be patient :) !