Photo

Hamsters are PETS.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mika

Mika

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Hello everyone, It's Ninja here and I'd like to cover a rather touchy subject that is often brought up.

The Breeding of Hamsters.

I'd like to say that first of all, I do not support hamster breeding. We of Hamster Hideout are against breeding. We as dedicated and loving hamster owners do not support breeding. I've written this thread to express my opinion about this topic. I know that many of the members will agree with me. After you're done reading this, do reconsider.

Hamsters are already rodents with an average lifespan of 1-2 Years on average. If they are cared for very well, they may even live up to 3. Each time you think of breeding your female hamster - regardless of syrian or dwarf - You are taking away some of their lifespan. Hamsters are treasured by their owners as a friend, a companion, a responsibility. Breeding them could stress the hamsters out, which may decrease their well-being. Hamsters are small animals that are occasionally, the stepping stones to one's love of animals. Many people were given hamsters as their first pet, if not fish.

If you think that you'll breed for the fact that it's cheap , easy , and the income is high, then you are sadly mistaken. The costs of hamsters , cages , supplies, will add up and it will eventually be too much to handle. What will you do if you buy a male and a female and they don't get along? They're fighting? You have to seperate them. This means that you'll need another set of supplies for the seperated hamster. Baby hamsters are cute, but they're not simple, oh no. If you're breeding syrians, can you afford the costs of buying a set of supplies PER hamster ? They're solitary animals ?

If you're thinking ; "Oh, I've researched enough, it should be already alright" then I regret to inform you, you're probably not. Even the most experienced breeders out there can make mistakes. They may take years to research. They probably know a lot. But one mistake can ruin their reputation. No matter how much you know, there will always be more that you can learn. Many members here on Hamster Hideout have had hamsters that had problems due to improper breeding. Stargazing hamsters , Spinners, You name it. No matter what, it shatters an owner's heart. I'm even one of them.

I know I may sound rude, but I am just trying to convince. I adore all my animals and love them dearly. I'm not purchasing them because I want to be known as a person with a hamster. It's the same with other members too. I do not purchase from pet stores at all now. There are breeders out there that have started off with Pet store hamsters. What's there to say that they're not carrying a genetic problem? Not much. Many people out there have lost hamsters and have cried dearly, because they have bonded with the small rodent so much that it's hard to let go. I can agree.

Many of us have stayed up feeding hamsters, helping treat their wounds, caring for them when they're sick. They're like our very own blood, our child. Just the thought of breeding gets to many of us. If you're a child, don't think about it anymore and enjoy life. If you're a teenager, stop and rethink about your future that DOESN'T involve breeding hamsters. Adults, you too, start enjoying life again and forget this whole idea. I know this has sounded like a rant, but it's truly how many of us feel.

Breeding is not a short-term GAME. You are dealing with the lives of a living creature. Why BREED when you can save a LIFE ? There are hamsters becoming snake food, becoming mistreated, abandonned. They need a chance to find a new home of people that will love them. Not to remain in the shelters for the rest of their life.

#2 PinkPumpkinGirl

PinkPumpkinGirl

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Very well said I must say! I agree with all you have said. Great job! :thumbsup:

#3 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:12 AM

Excellect post and I agree hamsters are our treasured little friends; I know I haven't owned a hamster in the past but with having Serenity around now I wouldn't trade her for anything in this world (I know I bought her from a store but she is my pet and becoming my best furry friend).

#4 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

I agree completely. It's one of my pet peeves when I hear of someone breeding any animal bought from a pet store or a rescue (which was likely purchased at a pet store) You do not know their genetic history. You do not know what genetic diseases are in their genes. Just because the parent doesn't express it doesn't mean it's not waiting in there to effect their offspring, or even grandoffspring. Breeding isn't as simple as girl+boy= cute baby.

#5 VanillaTea

VanillaTea

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

I absolutely agree.
Breeding is not as fun as it may seem.
I on accident bought a pregnant hamster and had to take care of the pups.
It is NOT as easy at it seems.

#6 Chocolate Hamsters

Chocolate Hamsters

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

This would be a very brilliant pinned topic!!!
Really, what does everyone else think?
Its covers everything, and convinces you that breeding isn't the tra la la laing it seems to be!!!
LOL! I just thought of something,
remember that time I said I was thinking of breeding muffin (ages ago mind you, I was a total moron!). Muffin, I found out about two days ago from malloria... is a boy!! Hilarious :P You've put her... I mean him in with a male and about 24 days later, wheres the babies?!!!!

Edited by muffin hamster, 13 April 2012 - 04:38 PM.

#7 CampbellCrazy

CampbellCrazy

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

This is all true. I have nursed sick hamsters from the pet shop that were irresponsibly bred somewhere, and loved them to their dying breath and after. It breaks my heart when I come home with a new one, who a few days later has pups. I can only say I am glad she came to me to birth her pups and not back at the store or in someone's home where they wouldn't get care. Your section on breeding is for those of us who find ourselves in this situation, and is very helpful.

#8 PinkPumpkinGirl

PinkPumpkinGirl

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

This would be a very brilliant pinned topic!!!
Really, what does everyone else think?

I agree!!! :thumbsup:
It really makes you think about the consequences of breeding!

#9 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,434 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

Very well written, Mika! Yes this definitely needs to be pinned I think :)

#10 Mika

Mika

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:24 AM

Very well written, Mika! Yes this definitely needs to be pinned I think :)

Thank you. If you people ever have a topic you'd like me to rage/rant
about, let me know. You're looking at Hamster Hideout's very first ::
RAGING,RANTING,WRITTER WHO LIKES HER JOB. My services are free. XD

#11 PinkPumpkinGirl

PinkPumpkinGirl

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

Thank you. If you people ever have a topic you'd like me to rage/rant
about, let me know. You're looking at Hamster Hideout's very first ::
RAGING,RANTING,WRITTER WHO LIKES HER JOB. My services are free. XD

Yay! Hmm I might have a few. :scratchchin:

#12 Mika

Mika

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:53 AM

Then give me a holler.
who knows ? I might agree to it !

#13 Skits

Skits

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

I don't come on here often but wanted to put in my opinion. I'm against breeding hamsters, of course. In the past I did have three litters though. First two was me breeding my hamsters when I was really little and had no idea what I was doing, and third litter was a hamster we bought pregnant without realising.

But I don't believe it shortens their lifespan if the hamsters are at the right breeding age. My hamster baby, was pregnant when at about 2 months old. (from the petstore), and unfortunately she only lived a year and a half. It might not have been from being bred so young but I'm guessing that is why she passed. I still have her son Dude, who is almost 2 years and 8 months old now. But my two previously bred hamsters live until almost three. Constant breeding would shorten their lifespans but I don't believe once or twice.

And I know that with certain genes, it makes breeding hard, but it isn't rocket science either. Just saying, as my hamster Dude's parents were actually siblings and I kept the entire litter, and the all lived past two years old without health problems.

But it isn't right to breed either, as hamsters do usually end up in shelters, or in small cages that parents buy for their very young children. I've seen so many parents buying hamsters on impulse, buying habitrail or ovo cages, and <lousy> cheap brand hamster food. I would hate to have a hamster that I purposely brought into this world, to be miserable and not knowing where they are and what care they get.

#14 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

I agree! Great topic. :D

#15 bubblepop727

bubblepop727

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

Bravo! Bravo! Very well said and straight forward! Woohoo! And we all agree, we are against breeding hamsters! Yes, hmmm... I may consider hiring you as my RAGING, RANTING topic making person. I have lots of things to start a rant about. Hmmm...... Yes, let's see......