Photo

Seriously considering a second hamster!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Erica and Arnold

Erica and Arnold

Baby Hamster

• 12 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:56 AM

Hi!

I've had my Syrian, Arnold, for just over two months now. I'm really enjoying him as a pet and learning about his needs. We're currently in the proccess of building him a bin age with a treehouse/woodland theme!

I've mostly always had Syrians as a child under the idea that Syrians are easier to tame and friendlier. This is why I went for a Syrian as an adult, however, since joining a few hamster forums I've seen how tame robos and other dwarfs can become and I really, really would like to add one to our family!

What do you all think about dwarves in general? Are they harder to tame? Anything I need to know in particular about their care or is it pretty much the same as Syrians? I've read that you can keep more than one dwarf together as long as their cage is big enough.

I was looking at a mini duna cage from pets@home. It's looks nice. Is this big enough for dwarves?

#2 Anastasia♥

Anastasia♥

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

Dwarves in general are harder to tame... It just depends which hamster you get. When you go to a petstore, ask if you can stick your hand in the cage to check which hamster is friendliest. If they are friendly, try to handle them. It also depends on how much time you spend to tame the little furry :)
And yes...you can have more than one dwarf. They must be of the same sex or you'll have a hamster population explosion. They do need a larger space (for separate territories) but in the beginning you should always start out with the biggest cage you could afford anyway.
Mini Duna Cage sounds exactly what it is....mini...too small! Find the square inches of the cage. Extra levels don't count. The minimum square inch-age for a single hamster should be at least 360 square inches, which in general would be nicer if it were larger.
How about a bin cage? Just buy a nice big storage bin and convert it into a cage! It is a nice thing to connect bins, and I'm sure your hamsters would appreciate it.
Best of luck to you! :shootingstar:

#3 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:53 AM

Also keep in mind that some species of dwarfs are diabetes prone. This means that you will have to be careful about their sugar intake. They can have some sugar, but not a lot. Robos and Chinese are not diabetes prone, and RC and winter whites are.

#4 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

Also keep in mind that some species of dwarfs are diabetes prone. This means that you will have to be careful about their sugar intake. They can have some sugar, but not a lot. Robos and Chinese are not diabetes prone, and RC and winter whites are.

Chinese hamsters aren't dwarfs but they are prone to diabetes. In fact the study that missPixy mentions in her glipizide thread was from a colony of chinese hams. ;)

#5 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

Chinese hamsters aren't dwarfs but they are prone to diabetes. In fact the study that missPixy mentions in her glipizide thread was from a colony of chinese hams. ;)

DUH! my bad :) Dwarf in size only lol. Didn't realize they are D-prone!

#6 Harmony

Harmony

Baby Hamster

• 20 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

Dwarf hamsters can make great pets.
I personally think you would be better off making a bin cage for him/her as well.
Be aware that Chinese hamsters should normally be housed alone while WWs and Campbell's can be housed together in same specie/gender groups.
I would advise having a backup cage if you get 2 and they begin fighting.(you may want to look on the adoptions board).

Edited by Harmony, 18 April 2012 - 06:27 AM.

#7 tiaré

tiaré

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

Personally I think dwarves (esp the winter whites) are the easiest to tame, compared to other species.

syrians found in singapore are really bitey and aggressive. Whereas winterwhites, we can carry them and cuddle them and they don't do anything!

#8 Selina_chan

Selina_chan

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

:) my winter white has been tame from the start really she is so friendly ^^. however my syrian is very skitty and does not want to sit still but she loves time outside the cage.... just hard to catch her because she always running ^^. As everyone says it completely depends on the hamster. :) I got a syrian first and then a dwarf and im so glad I did ^_^