Photo

After stroke care

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,384 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

Hi lovely peoples. :) It would be greatly appreciated to have your advice and opinions, as I want to make sure I am doing everything right for Wonton, and I also had a quick question regarding the best cage setup for him.

Here's the deal - Since Wonton had a stroke, he was placed in a 20 long tank that is easy to get around and is allowing him to heal up. He's not ready to move out of it yet, and I'm not sure when he will be....but it will be a gut feeling since I'm his mommy and can tell these types of things. :) Today I'm working on cleaning out all 6 of his connectible cages he previously had, plus tubes, toys, ovo pods, etc. They needed to be done anyway so I might as well do them all while he isn't in them.

What I'm thinking of, when he seems more ready, is making a completely horizontal setup for him on the top shelf thing right above Baklava's cage (see photo)

Posted Image

Now it's not very big, I realize, but I think I can fit at least a CT Outlook and 2 OVO pods. Another option is see those 2 drawer units on each side? Those are in 2 pieces so I can remove the top section and then put something to raise it up and put another OVO on each one. I'll try to connect everything so it's as flat as possible, with as least amount of tubes as possible also. Does anyone else have better ideas? I wish I just had another GIANT single level tank to put him in, because that would be easiest, but I don't. :embarassed:

Lastly, my most important question (out of sheer curiousity) is: Do you recommend he never gets a wheel again? A few sites said not to, so I was wondering if it's because it poses some sort of danger/makes the situation worse, or if it's just because it's difficult? missPixy, do you have any thoughts? I *highly* doubt he'll be using one anytime soon, but for future reference I was wondering about the wheel thing.

THANK YOU IF YOU READ ALL OF THIS! :goodvibes: :cookie:

#2 rhapsody

rhapsody

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

When little Wonton is able to move out, you're going to have to keep a close eye on him in his new setup to make sure he doesn't get stuck anywhere. OR you can try to have food and water in each of the modules - that's probably the safest.

Uh, do you have the space for a bin? That'd be a cheaper option to a tank, but it'll take up just as much room.

Is Wonton circling, or can he still manage a straight-ish line? If he's circling, it might make navigating the wheel more trouble than its worth (although my neurologically impaired Munchkin sorta managed, if you remember). I think its important that Wonton get some sort of regular exercise though. Don't human stroke victims benefit from that? Maybe playtime on a flat surface so he can explore a bit?

#3 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

Keeping everything on one level is a good idea, at least for the time being, but perhaps as he is showing some improvement maybe you could introduce a few, short, vertical tube runs - just to see how he goes? Nothing critical like food or drink areas, but perhaps a slightly raised-up pod with some bedding in or some treats, just to see how he is with vertical motion. As long as it's not as long length he can fall down it should be ok, and will help in rehabilitating him, I think.
Regarding the wheel, unless he's really wobbly in his feet and that much of a danger to himself, I don't see any real reason why he can't have it :) unless there's no room for a decent wheel in those OVO pods. The most that'll happen is he'll fall out onto soft substrate if he looses his footing, which really he's just as likely to do while normally running around anyway. Plus this, too, will really help him get back on his feet and rehabilitate him. He may need to learn things like balance and motor control again, particularly if the stroke caused some damage and his brain has to "relearn" stuff to compensate.
The human brain does this, it rewires itself if there are damaged sections, as long as the damage is not too severe, so that normal muscle control is restored. There's no real reason to assume a hamsters' brain is much different in that regard.

It may be a long shot, but if you know friends or relatives who have suffered strokes or TIAs, or if anyone on this forum has, or knows someone that has, then perhaps ask them how it effected their motor control, how they overcame these effects and what recovery was like? Did it effect their balance, going up or down stairs etc etc. Applying what you learn to Wonton's recovery may at least give you a rough ball-park view of his progress, and what will work for him and what won't work as far as rehabilitation is concerned.
Again, hamster's aren't too different to us in terms of motor control and neurological illnesses.

#4 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,384 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:52 AM

Oh goodness, thank you rhapsody and Azayles for both of your excellent and helpful replies. :hug:

When little Wonton is able to move out, you're going to have to keep a close eye on him in his new setup to make sure he doesn't get stuck anywhere. OR you can try to have food and water in each of the modules - that's probably the safest.

I can definitely keep a close eye as I'm home most of the time, but like you said it still worries me slightly. One problem is the only cage I can attach a water bottle to is the Crittertrail pink cage he has, but OVOs don't have a place for a regular spout (not the straight, upside-down ones) and neither does the CT Outlook. :disappointed: It will be tricky.

Uh, do you have the space for a bin? Is Wonton circling, or can he still manage a straight-ish line?

1. Yes, there are a couple of places I could put a bin. The thing I'm frustrated about is I used to have a very large one (found it at Goodwill for $1.99), but after creating the hamster room and having the rest of my rooms look really nice, I gave it back to Goodwill since I had absolutely no space to store such an eyesore (and figured I'd never use it again....oh phooey!!) So I wouldn't be very excited about going out to spend $15 to buy a brand new one (that I STILL wouldn't have any room to store once Wonton no longer uses it), but maybe if I could find another cheapo one at Goodwill, I could manage that. :) Good idea.

2.Thankfully he is not circling and able to walk a straight line now! Sometimes he sort of falls over or looses his balance, but he's definitely moving forward more-so then any other direction. :laughing:

Keeping everything on one level is a good idea, at least for the time being, but perhaps as he is showing some improvement maybe you could introduce a few, short, vertical tube runs - just to see how he goes? Nothing critical like food or drink areas, but perhaps a slightly raised-up pod with some bedding in or some treats, just to see how he is with vertical motion. As long as it's not as long length he can fall down it should be ok, and will help in rehabilitating him, I think.

Well, unfortunately, if I'm brutally honest with myself......I don't ever trust putting Wonton in vertical tubes again and don't think he could manage. I'd probably only try flat, horizontal ones just to stay on the safe side.

The most that'll happen is he'll fall out onto soft substrate if he looses his footing, which really he's just as likely to do while normally running around anyway. Plus this, too, will really help him get back on his feet and rehabilitate him. He may need to learn things like balance and motor control again, particularly if the stroke caused some damage and his brain has to "relearn" stuff to compensate.

Hmm, that's a really great point you brought up about rehabilitating him! I think it would be good for him to at least attempt it sometimes. I might only put it in for a short time while watching him, and not leave it overnight. But yeah there would be lots of soft bedding and it would be as high up as possible while still allowing the wheel to spin.

It may be a long shot, but if you know friends or relatives who have suffered strokes or TIAs

I don't know of anyone, unfortunately, but Amaryllis said she did and so did Marisa. I think Marisa said the person who had one was able to full recover, but everyone is different and some get over it and others, never fully. Supposedly the hamster info I've read says it takes about 2 weeks to recover, and by that point I would know if he's fully better or would still have a bit of a permanent head tilt.

Thanks again both of you; it's greatly appreciated. I'm mostly concerned of him not continuing to show improvement if he stays in the tank, because sometimes he seems to look bored and walks out, but then goes back to bed as there's not much to do. It might perk him up a bit to have his cages back......but ONLY if it poses no risk to him.

#5 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

Well, unfortunately, if I'm brutally honest with myself......I don't ever trust putting Wonton in vertical tubes again and don't think he could manage. I'd probably only try flat, horizontal ones just to stay on the safe side.

Aww that's such a shame :( I really hope he recovers enough to have lots of tubes back eventually, it was always such fun watching his videos of him climbing about an exploring :)
Having the wheel back could be an even bigger plus, then. I think if he has trouble using it or it's uncomfortable for him, he'll simply stop using it. That seems to be what anecdotal evidence has shown - if he doesn't like it he'll just stop. That, too, will give a fairly good indication of his recovery progress :)

健爱運

#6 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:56 AM

What if you got the wooden ladder/ bridge thing that's in Baklava's cage and buried the sides in the bedding so that it barely comes out so he can practice climbing? Then you can slowly have it more and more out of the bedding as he gets comfortable with it so that way he could continue improving. I wouldn't give him anything straight up, at least until he's fully recovered.