Photo

Tug-a-war

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 S3v3rian

S3v3rian

Baby Hamster

• 9 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

So my WWR dwarf hamster likes to grab my fingers with his mouth and pull on them. Just a little bit ago he pulled my hand inside his cage and just held it and when I pulled it away he pulled back. Anyone know what he might be trying to communicate?

#2 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

He wants you to come inside and play! :D
But no my Syrian Blue does this, grabbing my finger with her paws when she's about to nibble gently on them or lick them :P if I pull away she pulls me in again with her paws xD It's a funny sight!

#3 Amaryllis

Amaryllis

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:11 AM

My WW Hazel does something like this... only she's usually biting me. Doesn't draw blood, just a very firm pinch. I have no idea what it means. Usually it happens if I have been gone for a few days and she's really excited, or if I have her favorite treats. But sometimes she seems to do it just because. lol

#4 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

Just like Amaryllis, my dwarf Smee does this, he opens his mouth wide and takes a hold of my finger, and pulls it back into his cage! Again, it doesn't draw blood, but surely he is communicating something.

He never gets nasty about it though. So I'm not 100% sure about it. Maybe experiment with washing your hands before or not, to see if yours prefers certain smells or tastes or not.

I've actually got a video of it so I'll upload it and put it here, and see if his behavior is like yours'

Edited by tinypixiexoxo, 11 April 2012 - 12:36 AM.

#5 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:31 AM

Serenity doesn't really do this but she has grabbed my index finger and "hugged" it; the way she grabbed it was like she was trying give me a hug in her own hamster way. But maybe your hamster doing this because he smells food on your hands? Wash your hands after you've eaten and see what happens.

#6 Amaryllis

Amaryllis

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

Serenity doesn't really do this but she has grabbed my index finger and "hugged" it; the way she grabbed it was like she was trying give me a hug in her own hamster way. But maybe your hamster doing this because he smells food on your hands? Wash your hands after you've eaten and see what happens.

Aw. Your Serenity sounds like a sweetie.

I always wash my hands, usually with something more "soap smelling" than fruity or floral, because some soaps leave a smell that must smell tasty to Hazel or something. One soap has a record for her biting me six times. But that's not really the pulling thing. The pulling thing is when she clamps on with her paws and her teeth and tries to pull on my finger, almost like she's trying to take my finger to her burrow. She also is very fond of the skin between my first finger and my thumb. lol

#7 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

Here is my video! The part at around 1:05 is probably the best representation!

Posted Image

#8 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

Awww that was so cute :) I just love Smee's big eyes :)

#9 S3v3rian

S3v3rian

Baby Hamster

• 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Well he doesn't hug me although that would be cute. He does it wether I wash my hands before picking him up or not so I guess I'll hope its a good thing.

#10 S3v3rian

S3v3rian

Baby Hamster

• 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Very cute hammy by the way

#11 Jolty

Jolty

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

My hamsters do this! They also whack me (and each other) with their front paws when they want to be left alone. It's how they communicate. They can't use words, so they need to push and pull. ^^