Photo

baldy butt :/

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

Sadi is my adopted syrian girl who is 1 year and 3 months old.

She started losing hair on her butt about 3 months ago on her 1st birthday. But from what I have read, and from what her previous owner claims, Syrian hamsters should not be losing fur on their butt or anywhere unless they are truly "senior" syrians.

I changed Sadi's hidey hut, from a small wood structure, to a "chinchilla-sized" plastic igloo for fear that Sadi was cramming herself into her wood hidey hut and therefore accidentally rubbing her butt against the cramped wood structure and losing fur that way.

But 1 month after the igloo, she continues to lose fur.

When I get paid next (Friday), Sadi will get an appointment at the vet to see what can be done or what can be changed to prevent further fur loss. But in the meantime, does anyone have any ideas as to why she might be losing fur?

She's losing patches of fur. At first it was a big on on her "center butt" and then a smaller one more to the right on her behind. But now, the patches have merged.

She gets Mazuri lab blocks, and flax seed, some other seed hamster food, and fresh veggies every other day. Nothing recently has changed except for a much more spacious hidey hut.

Please help! Any help that could prevent any major and traumatizing vet procedure is welcomed to stop the fur loss and promote the regrowth of hair.

And just so we are clear, Sadi was ... bred... not store bought. So I'm highly aware of the genetic component.

#2 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,979 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

have you checked her nest where she sleeps to see if she pees in there? :scratchchin:

#3 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

have you checked her nest where she sleeps to see if she pees in there? :scratchchin:

Hmm No I have not! If she does.. what do I do?

From what I can tell, she usually pees in this one corner outside of her igloo, she digs for a little then she squats, closes her eyes, and tinkles xD

#4 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,979 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

if she pees in her nest (not really that uncommon among hamsters) then
she's sleeping in pee, and that causes "ammonia burn." basically the
continued exposure of her fur/skin to the urine literally burns her fur
off in that area. and the bum/flanks/underside are the areas most likely
to suffer this.

check it out~~ I hope it IS something this easy to remedy! :nurse:

#5 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

When she gets up tonight I'll put her in her ball and investigate in her nest.. it has tissue paper and bedding and I'll smell and feel around in there.

But she does have this habit, even though I got her the huge igloo, to stuff the entire thing with bedding.. it's surprising she has room in there for herself!

If she does not urinate in there and sleep on it, could it just be that she squishes herself in there? That would make sense back when she had a wooden hidey hut, but now it's plastic.. so I duno :/

#6 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

SOrry for a double post, but my update about Sadi reveals that no, she does not urinate in her igloo :/

what next?

#7 Jolty

Jolty

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

How well ventilated is her igloo? Wait until she has been sleeping for a few hours, and then wake her up and feel to make sure the area is not damp. Her breath may be forming condensation on the roof, which then drips into the toilet paper and keeps her damp. This was happening with my hamsters. To solve this problem, give her something without a full roof to bed in, and maybe a little less nesting material.

Edited by Jolty, 12 April 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#8 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,380 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

Hmm, have you always used the same bedding with her or did you try changing it to something different? Just a thought. She's not drinking excess water or urinating more often, is she?

#9 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:37 AM

How well ventilated is her igloo? Wait until she has been sleeping for a few hours, and then wake her up and feel to make sure the area is not damp. Her breath may be forming condensation on the roof, which then drips into the toilet paper and keeps her damp. This was happening with my hamsters. To solve this problem, give her something without a full roof to bed in, and maybe a little less nesting material.

oh dear. Well yes, she pretty much shoves all of her bedding into her guinea-pig sized igloo. And it just has those standard holes on top. And she squeezes herself into the igloo. Last night I did the damp test, and it's... it's moist, and perhaps I could describe it as damp. So this might be an issue. Any ideas as to why the fur loss is only on her butt though?

Hmm, have you always used the same bedding with her or did you try changing it to something different? Just a thought. She's not drinking excess water or urinating more often, is she?

We are back to the Sunseed newspaper bedding... And she is drinking a bit more than I recall. As in, getting up in the middle of the day to drink once or twice....

#10 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:56 PM

Hello :)

It's been a month since I brought Sadi into the vet to check out her balding butt.

1 month ago, she was given Ultra Essential Fatty Acids (Ultra EFA's) to be administered twice daily. This med was supposed to help encourage fur growth and to keep existing fur thick and full.

Well, upon her recheck yesterday, we noticed that the fur loss has gotten worse, not better. There are some patches where teeny thin white hairs have regrown, but if you can't tell, she's got chestnut colored-fur. Also, where those teeny white hairs have not regrown, her skin is BALD.

It's kind of sad :( But to be perfectly honest, Sadi's behavior has not reflected any difference or discomfort. In fact, she is always chipper, happy and active. Eating and drinking well.

So at her recheck yesterday, we did some blood work to see if there was anything going on with her internal organs, especially the liver and kidneys. The blood work came back all within normal ranges (however, there are really no "ranges" for these tests in hamsters to compare against... so we are just speculating).

So along with the EFA's, my vet has prescribed Sadi something called "Spirit Essence Stress Stopper." I believe it's some sort of holistic flower extract with no taste and no side effects. It's supposed to actually calm rodents down after a long period of usage.

The thought is, that late at night when I can't observe her, Sadi might be over grooming herself to the point of hair loss. My vet thought that, since there already was substantial hair loss back there, she might continue to over groom back there as a confused effort to make it better.

While I never personally see her over groom, (and don't quite understand HOW she could reach back there tehe), she might be upset in someway, and this stress formula could help.

I will take a picture of her fur loss today, and begin the Stress Stopper regime. It is 3 drops in her water every day (changing water every day as well), and then .1ml orally twice a day. I can give it to her when she also gets her EFA's.

I really hope the balding stops and the fur regrows :(

#11 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

I wondered, too if this was burn from the urine :( There's another thread, Could this be ammonia burn, which is reminiscent of Sadi's problem. It's very odd that it's just on her butt. Even though her nest is fine and doesn't smell, pick her up and feel and smell her just as she wakes up to see if there's damp there at all?

#12 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

I haven't posted in this thread for a while. But I got a good pic her her baldy butt. You can see that it's.... balding more and more. But there seems to be white fuzz that grows in place. It's so odd.

It's been a while since Sadi went into the vet and since I talked about her baldy butt, but behaviorally she's perfect. She is literally the perfect hamster.

Posted Image

#13 Molly&Ollie

Molly&Ollie

Baby Hamster

• 46 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:57 PM

Thats weird, Ollie (my syrian) has had exactly the same symptoms, and His fur loss looks alot like that picture ^ (I would take a picture of Ollie but he won't stay still -_-) we have checked his bedding for mites, and have found nothing, after reading this post and comments I have checked for him wetting his bed. Just like you I have found nothing (And His behaviour does not seem any different.). I'm going to take him to the vets next week to see whats up with him. (Does Sadis bald patch look red, or irritated? Ollies does look a little inflamed.)
If you have any more updates please post them, I would like to know what youv'e decided to do or whatever. I will update you with Ollie just incase you would like to know :)

from Molly&Ollie Posted Image

#14 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:51 AM

Hey there! The skin doesn't look irritated or inflamed. In fact, little hairs are growing in the regular fur's old place.. but they do not fully cover the bald patch. It continues to slowly bald up her back :(

But she is not bothered by it.

Since she was... a product of accidental litter, it could just be genetics.

My vet is a holistic vet and prescribed those Essential Fatty Acids but Sadi didn't improve, so we took her off those (but she LOVED that medicine, it was soooo weird!), and now we're just watching for behavior changes before I bring her back in.

Good luck to you and Ollie. Let me know what goes on!

#15 Molly&Ollie

Molly&Ollie

Baby Hamster

• 46 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:29 AM

Managed to get a photo :) (sorry about the quality hes fidgety and Im a bad photographer :) )
It doesn't look as bad as Sadi's but he hasn't had it for long soooo yh :) If you can't see it sorry my phone also has a bad quality :)
Posted Image