Photo

Help on bin cage?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 chocolatemonster1583

chocolatemonster1583

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

Hi! I'm planning to make a bin cage for my 2 WWs but have some questions.

Firstly, is it a need to have side window mesh for better ventilation? is it okay to use a penknife to cut the lid/plastic? i'm afraid that if i use too much strength it will break.

I heard that using stainless steel mesh, it will not rust when in contact with water, but anyone knows the price and where to get it? Also, will my hamster bite on the mesh? and if it bites, will the mesh break, allowing it to escape? (they escaped once from my wire cage)

If i want to connect 2 bin cages with tubes, how do i cut the circular hole? if use penknife, it will be pretty difficult to get a proper circle and the plastic may crack.

I'm planning to get the SALMA 130L plastic box from IKEA with the lid. Anyone knows how much does the box + lid cost? Also, IKEA's lid are not those type that can 'lock' so i'm afraid that my hamsters might escape if the lid is not secured tightly. Any ideas for this?

Lastly, i'm planning to add a second level to the bin cage. i'm thinking of using wood but the wood will absorb the urine, etc and it would be quite difficult to wash. and if i use wood, do i nail it to the bin cage? if it is nailed, it will be pretty difficult to wash?

Any ideas or opinions? thanks

#2 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

Please don't post multiples of the same topic, even in different boards. ;)