Photo

Oh no!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jolty

Jolty

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

So, my boyfriend and I may be moving into a new place that we looked at today.
The only problem is, they do not allow pets.

My options are:

1. Sneak my hamsters in anyways...
2. Give my hamsters to my parents. ;__;
3. Split them up (so they're quieter and easier to hide) and just bring one hamster. :/
4. Keep looking for a hamster-friendly house.

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Edited by Jolty, 08 April 2012 - 10:16 AM.

#2 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Did they explicitly say that rodents were among the pets not allowed, or did they just use "no pets"? Maybe they will be lenient if you're just bringing in hamsters, and sometimes people define pets as large animals like dogs and cats and don't mind smaller ones.

#3 rhapsody

rhapsody

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

My old apartment was "no pets" only - it was in a college town, and they had problems with the students leaving pets behind when they moved out. But I told the manager that I had a hamster (never did mention that I had more than one, or that I also had rats). I figured that I might as well 'fess up that I had at least one rodent since I had way too much pet supplies laying around to successfully hide them all. She was totally cool with it, and she just made me put down a $60 "in case hamster gets loose and destroys the walls" security deposit.

Of course, whenever there was an inspection (for gas and fire alarms), I wheeled the rest into a closet and hoped that they keep quiet. :ninja:

However, most apartment managers have the no pets rule because they're worried about urine or chew damage to the carpets and whatnot. Try to explain that the hamsters are in enclosed cages and aren't allowed free run of the apartment.

#4 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

I agree with Plushie and Rhapsody. My apartment requires a deposit for pets, but my hamsters AND my hedgehog did not qualify for those deposits. So they know about my babies and have no problem and have asked NO payment.

Honesty is the best policy, in my opinion, and I tend to think anyone who encounters your honesty will go lengths to accommodate you.

Edited by tinypixiexoxo, 09 April 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#5 PinkPumpkinGirl

PinkPumpkinGirl

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

I agree with whats been said. I rent from my dad and both my neighbors(who also rent from him) and I have a hamster. He's just worried the house could get destroyed with big pets like dogs and cats. But he allows small animals.

#6 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

I would talk it out with the landlord to see if hamsters/small animals; you'll be surprised how many people might be more accepting of the smaller pets then the larger ones. The place I live at accepts all animals, that is if they aren't the larger breeds of dogs i.e. German Shepherds, I would be honest with them, and talk it out.

#7 Jolty

Jolty

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

Well, I don't think I got that place anyways, so now I am looking at another house. This one says that it allows cats and smaller pets, so I hope I get it!

#8 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

That's awesome, I hope it all works out for you.

#9 PinkPumpkinGirl

PinkPumpkinGirl

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:27 AM

Good luck! :D