Photo

tubes for a syrian hammy?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 rehabnurse

rehabnurse

Baby Hamster

• 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

Hello everyone....

I am trying to find some tunnels for my son's hamster. She is a syrian named "Hammy", and is just a joy!!! We love her.

We've had quite an experience trying to find a decent cage setup. Went (mistakenly) with a store-bought cage by Ware Industries, the one with six cubes. Added crittertrail tunnels, etc. She seemed to love it but it was a pain to clean. Then she ended up stuck in one of the tunnels when she tried to go through with packed cheeks! Thankfully it was when we were watching her, or I fear she could have easily died. She was truly stuck. Had to take apart the tunnel and she was scared to death (so was I)!

After that I refused to allow tunnels on her cage. Made her a bin cage from a very large bin. About 4 feet long, 1 foot high, 2 feet wide. My only complaint is that it takes a lot of bedding, but there's lots of room for her toys and wheel, etc.

I am really wanting to expand on this system we have, and I'd love to have tunnels. Only thing is, even with a lot of googling, I can't find any that seem to be sufficient for Syrians. I have thought about ferret tunnels, but I'm almost afraid to make those in a typical hamster way (the kind that go up and in a sort of square above the cage) for fear she could slip through those larger tunnels.

So I guess my question is, is there anyone here with Syrians who has found some adequate tunnels? I'd love for her to have at least some tunnels in her cage, and also some to play in. I am working on building her a playpen for when she's out of the cage, too, and would like some tunnels for her. I do have one of the plastic flex-tunnels often found near the hamster/gerbil stuff in pet stores. I let her use that outside the cage only as I'm worried she could chew through it.

Any ideas? I have seen such cool homemade cages online and I really want to make something fun for our little Hammy! :) Is there anything besides ferret tunnels that would work? Something size wise in-between the thin regular hamster tubes and the rather large ferret tubes? I just don't want to risk Hammy being stuck in a too-tight tube!

Thanks for any suggestions!

#2 ThinkMusic

ThinkMusic

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

Crittertrail tunnels are a bit small, I know that the Habitrail OVO tubes are much larger and are able to fit syrians though :)

#3 Zoe's Zoo

Zoe's Zoo

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

I use habitrail tubes for my three syrians and they work awesome! So far I've tried OVO tubes and Classic tubes and I really prefer habitrail OVO tubes. Even my *very* large male hamster, Snoopy can fit through them :)

#4 rehabnurse

rehabnurse

Baby Hamster

• 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

I have seen the OVO tubes online, and was wondering about them. Thanks! I'll have to order some to spruce up Hammy's little palace. :)

#5 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:18 AM

Hi! I have a similar set up to you I think. I have a large bin cage connected to a bar cage for my Syrian MoMo.

I use Crittertrail Funnel tubes for him. He is a "bigger" Syrian (over 150 grams). There are quite big ridges on these tubes so he can grab on and pull himself through quite easily. It is tight but he makes it just fine- sometimes with full pouches- which really baffles me, lol! These tubes are sold in a plastic bag or box, and you can get a "look out" with them too (MoMo loves the lookout). If your Hammy can get through a toilet paper roll, then she can get through these tubes no worries.

Here is a link to a description of them:
http://www.superpetusa.com/product-list/crittertrail-funnels-assorted-tubes.htm

:slaphappy:

#6 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

Most syrian hamsters cannot fit comfortably through critter trail tubes, but as already mention the Habitrial ovo tubes are usually big enough, and the older lines of habitrail tubes (space station, safari, playground, etc) were often large enough too. SAM brand tubes without the ridges were also usually large enough and can interconnect with habitrail tubes.