Photo

Friends?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rubyyyyyyyy

Rubyyyyyyyy

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

I don't understand why there's the "friends" option when if you add someone you still have the same abilities to look at their information and pictures as before? It just doesn't seem necessary.

#2 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:07 AM

Well when you are friends with someone you also get notifications as to when they post new statuses. I'm sure there's more but that's the main thing I've noticed.

#3 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:09 AM

Plus it also makes it easier to stay in contact with your friends as you can easily find their profile instead of having to search for it if they are offline. :) True, it doesn't do much, but it's just a fun feature.

#4 Rubyyyyyyyy

Rubyyyyyyyy

Junior Hamster

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:46 AM

Oh :thumbsup:

#5 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

The friends feature doesn't do a lot on this forum at least, and is a limitation put in place by Invision Power Board, the engine which powers this forum.
Because IP board is a service which costs money, so Dusty and Wiffy have to plump up the cash, there are likely other features which make use of the friends list. There used to be a chat feature many months ago for example, but this wasn't used much, so was dropped in a bid to save some money. I think there is also a hosting feature on the higher version of IP board which make greater use of the friends feature in the same way Facebook allows you to post and share pictures.
For the most part, having people as friends is a very easy way to visit someone's profile just by looking at the list on your own profile, plus you can get updates of status posted by friends, even if you haven't commented on them. :)

#6 ratedKG

ratedKG

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

The friends feature doesn't do a lot on this forum at least, and is a limitation put in place by Invision Power Board, the engine which powers this forum.
Because IP board is a service which costs money, so Dusty and Wiffy have to plump up the cash, there are likely other features which make use of the friends list. There used to be a chat feature many months ago for example, but this wasn't used much, so was dropped in a bid to save some money. I think there is also a hosting feature on the higher version of IP board which make greater use of the friends feature in the same way Facebook allows you to post and share pictures.
For the most part, having people as friends is a very easy way to visit someone's profile just by looking at the list on your own profile, plus you can get updates of status posted by friends, even if you haven't commented on them. :)

I definitely think so. It may give us a little bit of ease.

#7 dusty

dusty

Popstar Ham

• Admin Team
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

Oh, just to clarify, we didn't drop the chatroom to save money. It was provided to us for free in the first place so we simply activated and made use of it. Later on, it was changed to a monthly chargeable service so we didn't feel like it was right to pay for it if it was free for us in the first place. Subtle difference. :)

What we did paid for more since last year was the monthly hosting fees. We switched to a VPN service so that we could get better speeds for users outside Singapore and also to allow for higher bandwidth transfers. Hope this makes the forum surfing experience better.

We do have the license to upgrade to the latest version of the forum but the only thing holding it back is me. In fact, 3.3.1 was just released today. I'm sorry. :embarassed: Will get down to it as soon as I can. It will have more features such as auto-save draft replies (so that you will never lose a long post again if you experience internet connection problems when hitting the reply button), more facebook integration such as Likes for replies, and so on. Will list them all when the forum is upgraded. :) Should be able to perform the upgrade by end of this month.

#8 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:41 AM

Oooh yes I remember hearing now it used to be free, then they started charging. My mistake ^_^
Can't wait to see this new IP Board update, that sound very exciting!
Good to see you on the forum, too. Hope all is well with you :) Are you all set for World Hamster Day tomorrow? :D

#9 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

That's very exciting dusty!! :hyper:

#10 GangstaGirl

GangstaGirl

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 670 posts