Photo

Link testing for malware/spyware/viruses

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Anastasia♥

Anastasia♥

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:33 AM

I'm just wondering if it's possible, but...
When somebody posts a link, HH should be able to immediately scan it and check for spyware, or anything of the sort. Just 10 minutes ago I nearly blew my computer up with TONS of malware by clicking a link on HH :pullinghair: ... I'm not sure which topic it was, but not everybody has super hi-tech spyware protection. Just saying :mindblowing:

#2 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

Can you look into your history and see where the link might have been posted?

I'm not sure if that can be set up on a forum. However basic internet safety is to not click on links that you aren't sure about. As a community we hope that everyone will respect each other and not post such things, but sometimes accidents happen or some spy-ware is more sensitive than others.

I don't have anything 'fancy' for my computer, just mcafee which sometimes tells me that websites that I have been going on for years aren't safe, even when they are. >.<

Edited by Christmas_hamster, 05 April 2012 - 03:45 AM.

#3 Anastasia♥

Anastasia♥

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

I'm not clicking any pages to figure out where the link was (major paranoia now...lol)
but here are a few topics I clicked right before getting the malware.
All I remember is clicking the link, and a big red bar on the top of the page saying something about malware detected.
(I'm scared just sifting through my history...as if I can get viruses from there :mindblowing: )
"Please stand by"
"Which do you prefer?"
"New hamster, biter"
I don't know where the posts are from, though.
But I Googled the virus and it was called...
Exploit.Java.CVE-2010-0840.E
I'm sure this wasn't on purpose, because one of the more well-known members replied to the post. They were commenting on how cute or cool it was or something.
I just hope that never happens to anybody else. My heart almost pounded out of my chest :fryingpan:

Also, I used to have Norton Antivirus and over several months I unknowingly "collected" viruses by clicking FB links (so sad...hehe) and it never notified me of them. Eventually my computer went completely berserk and wouldn't even turn on. It took 3 months for my computer-savvy uncle to fix it, and I bought Defender Pro 5 in 1, which doesn't notify me of viruses. I do a deep system scan every day though, or after clicking any foreign link :pullinghair:

#4 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

I don't think it should be the site's responsibility to scan for malware on every link. I'm not even sure it's possible or feasible :P Like CH said, only click links from people you trust. Consider installing an ad-blocking extension so you don't accidentally click any pop ups or anything.

Was the "Malware detected" ad from your Antivirus, or was it an ad on the page? Never click a link that says "Malware detected" (or "Your computer is infected with viruses", and others similar) unless it's from a completely trusted source. Lots of viruses will disguise themselves as antivirus programs that claim your computer is infected, and coerce money out of unsuspecting users by saying "If you buy our product we will clean your computer from this virus".

#5 Anastasia♥

Anastasia♥

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

Hmmm.... I feel like quite the dummy D: You're right... it isn't HH's responsibility to check for viruses and such.

But no... when I opened the link, it opened a new tab. I clicked the tab. The page was merely what I described it to be xD
But yeah, I've gotten those fake anti-virus things before. You just close them (Ctrl+ALT+Delete) and then scan your computer with the REAL antivirus you have.
But yeah.... it looked like Google Chrome might have blocked it... but maybe it broke through anyway.
People who crate viruses are terrible though D: My mom's computer was nearly destroyed when my sister searched her horoscope on it.
I have major paranoia about this stuff though and I always make sure now that I recognize the link before I click it. Or I Google it to see if it's really safe.
Let's just hope nobody posts viruses and such on purpose, am I right?
(To sum it all up, I may have been the only one getting viruses and I should just get a better anti-virus program :detective: )