Photo

Bin Cage - Help, I have an escape artist!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Littleali21

Littleali21

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

Ok, so as well as rescuing Marg & Mary, I have recently got little baby Buzz.
He is a black long haired syrian and is 8 weeks old.

His breeder kept him in a bin cage with no lid. It was very bare & basic as it was basically just a starter home for the babies.

I've built him the attached. It's actually bigger than it looks

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/alison210185/Mobile%20Uploads/

He is absolutely adamant on escaping. He doesn't play with ANYTHING in his cage, he just tries to escape. It's quite upsetting to watch as it makes me feel he is really unhappy. His cage is the size of my rug, so I cant really go much bigger without taking up the whole living room.

We have had a couple of near misses with him since sunday.

Can anyone advise? Is his cage too crowded?

The big one is his play area, and his food & bed is in the smaller one...

#2 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

It won't let me see the pic. To attach it on to this post just copy the URL, create a new post, then on the top you'll see 'image' click on that and paste the URL.

#3 Littleali21

Littleali21

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

Sorry, was trying to do it on my phone :(

Hope this works!!x

Posted Image

#4 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:17 AM

Maybe he is climbing onto the wheel or going on the shelf and pulling himself up using one of the holes?

#5 Lillias

Lillias

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:14 AM

How long have you had him? Could he still be stressed from the move? Have you tried ball time or playpen time to burn off his excess energy?

#6 Littleali21

Littleali21

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:21 AM

Hi Lillias. Yes he's new. Got him Sunday. It's the first time he's been away from his sisters so it's possible he's stressed. He's been in his ball half an hour. Put him back and he automatically suicide dived off the roof of his taxi! He's a ball of nuttiness!

#7 Lillias

Lillias

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

Hopefully, he'll destress after awhile.

#8 Littleali21

Littleali21

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

Really hope so. Just feel so bad that I can't do any more for him! Thanks guys x

#9 yourstrulygaby

yourstrulygaby

Baby Hamster

• 36 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

Just curious, how does he try to escape? Those bins seem pretty escape proof with the lids on.. Does he chew the holes to try and make them bigger so get can fit thourgh them?

hmmm.. Are the lids to the bins transparent or solid? Maybe he feels "closed in" or traped cause the bins arent very transparent? I don't really know lol, thats just prob how I'd feel (but humans and hammies are very different I suppose lol). I guess you'll just have to wait a little longer since you just got him, maybe he just needs to settle in.

#10 yourstrulygaby

yourstrulygaby

Baby Hamster

• 36 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

Aslo this may be irrelevant but I heard a study once on how to prevent "cabin fever" (for people that have to live indoors for long periods of time). Taller walls/higher roofs! Makes people feel more content with their living space and like they have more room. I noticed you have very short walls and solid roofs (I think)... Sooo maybe taller walls and more transparency would help if all esle fails and it turns out he's not just stressed cause he's new.

Actually I really think I may be right! I just read what you wrote "His breeder kept him in a bin cage with no lid." He's use to being in a (probably) tall bin with no roof, he's probably just not use to feeling closed in with solid lids. Or maybe I'm just crazy! lol

Edited by yourstrulygaby, 05 April 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#11 Littleali21

Littleali21

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

Thanks Gaby. What you said makes sense. We only shut the lids when we aren't there. And when we aren't there he seems to sleep! If we are in the house we keep the Lids open and thats when he starts trying to get out.

The walls are quite high In his big one. That high we didnt think he would get out. But there's a TINY lip half way up that he manages to pull himself onto then lifts one arm and clings to the air holes then pulls himself out. He's quite amazing!

Also yes, he tries to chew holes. I found him with plastic in his beard the other day which obv ain't good! So I have moved high things away from the perimeter so he can't climb on them to chew. Fingers crossed!!!

#12 yourstrulygaby

yourstrulygaby

Baby Hamster

• 36 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:57 AM

ohhh I see! Hopfuly moving the toys away from the walls will help! :) Do you play with him a lot? Maybe he just needs more time outside.

#13 Littleali21

Littleali21

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

We only got him Sunday so I didn't wanna get him out too early. But from Wednesday night he's been in his ball a lot. But as soon as I put him back, he starts! Think it's the hamster version of the terrible twos. Hope it passes ha x

#14 Azayles

Azayles

Samurai Ham

• Members
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

The walls to those bin cages appear to have lots of tiny "sticky out" bits, and a hamster can easily grab hold of these and climb out. You'd be amazed actually just what little they need to grab hold of to climb. They're like incredibly experienced rock climbers!
Moving toys etc from the edges probably won't work for long 'cause the hamsters will just move the toys back or pile up bedding to climb out that way. And it'll happen so quick, too!
Best thing to do will be to mesh the lids and have them closed all the time. You should be able to pick up sheets of half inch mesh (hardware cloth) from the hardware store pretty cheaply, and just zip-tie it to holes cut in the lids. The holes cut in the sides of the bin unfortunately isn't enough ventilation on its own when the lids are closed, hence the need for mesh.
Hopefully that'll help :) It certainly seems like you have enough room and there's plenty to do in the bins, too :D

#15 Littleali21

Littleali21

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

^^ thanks you, I was hoping you'd get involved as I've seen your build and wish I had the DIY skills you have haha!

There are tons of holes in the lid as I was a bit unsure of how to do the mesh, I may give it a try. Or get a bin with no Sticky outty bits.