Photo

Premature Birth

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 B the Lion

B the Lion

Baby Hamster

• 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

I've got a Syrian hamster for two weeks now, when we got it the store owner at the pet store told us it was two months old.

The other day my friends and I were playing with my syrian hamster, it was in it's plastic ball and all of sudden, my friends accidentally dropped the ball on the floor. It dropped from about neck level to the ground. Afterwards the hamster was limping on its back leg.

The next day, I found the hamster to be hiding in its hole in the cage. We decided to take apart the cage and this was when we found out he was a she. I suspect after the ball drop, it had a premature birth of two hamster. I wasn't even appear that she was pregnant prior to this. The babies were no bigger than 2.5cm and didn't fully develop to have eyes nor were they moving. So far I've cleaned the cage, changed the bedding and made the cage more visible. The hamster is currently breathing heavily and we can still the stomach is still large and her legs are fine. I'm not sure whether or not to expect more premature babies.

Can anyone please provide us with advice on what to do next.

#2 Zoe's Zoo

Zoe's Zoo

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:14 AM

Babies are usually about that big when born and you can't see their ears after a few days. They probably weren't premature, but yes, they do look awfully young to be out of mom, don't they :cheeky: ? It takes them several days to open their ears, and a few weeks for their eyes to open. If the babies weren't moving and peeping, they could have been dead. This often happens to first time mothers.
You should leave the mom alone with her babies until they're 2 weeks old at least. Otherwise, she'll see you as a threat and eat her babies as to not attract predators. Keep the cage in a quiet place out of the way and don't clean the cage until the babies are older. Don't handle the mom because it will stress her out. Basically just make sure she has food and water and she'll do the rest to take care of the babies.
The mother hamster will often still have a chubby belly for a day or so after birth, and while nursing or sleeping it might seem she's breathing heavy. I'm scared she might have a baby stuck in her birthing canal since she's so young. If you think she does, you need to get her to a vet ASAP to get those babies out.

Check out Crash course on accidental pregnancies/babies for all the info you'll need on an oops litter!

I'm hoping that her limping was nothing serious, just a sprained ankle. If it still looks bad later, you'll need to get her to a vet. Next time, don't even let your friends hold the hamster. I understand that it was an accident, but if they're not going to respect your pet, a living, breathing, feeling thing, then it's not fair to the hamster to be put in danger like that. You're really lucky the fall wasn't fatal, because it easily could have been.

Hope all turns out okay! Good luck!

#3 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

Hello B the Lion:

How are all of the hamsters doing now?

Sounds like a bit of a worrisome situation, if I were you I would message Miss Pixy ASAP, since there are so many factors here. The Momma hammy will need some specific post natal care (even if the babies didn't make it), but this is a bit more complicated because of the potential leg injury- that is quite a large fall for a hamster. The heavy breathing is concerning, and could indicate something serious.

Without disturbing the mother, have you seen the babies feeding at all? Or did they not make it?

Also try not to change anything in the cage for the time being (with the exception of fresh food and water of course)

#4 ratedKG

ratedKG

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

I've got a Syrian hamster for two weeks now, when we got it the store owner at the pet store told us it was two months old.

The other day my friends and I were playing with my syrian hamster, it was in it's plastic ball and all of sudden, my friends accidentally dropped the ball on the floor. It dropped from about neck level to the ground. Afterwards the hamster was limping on its back leg.

The next day, I found the hamster to be hiding in its hole in the cage. We decided to take apart the cage and this was when we found out he was a she. I suspect after the ball drop, it had a premature birth of two hamster. I wasn't even appear that she was pregnant prior to this. The babies were no bigger than 2.5cm and didn't fully develop to have eyes nor were they moving. So far I've cleaned the cage, changed the bedding and made the cage more visible. The hamster is currently breathing heavily and we can still the stomach is still large and her legs are fine. I'm not sure whether or not to expect more premature babies.

Can anyone please provide us with advice on what to do next.

If the same thing happened to humans, the first thing to do is to immobilize the affected area. Since we're talking about a hamster here, you should calm it down and minimize the stress that you're / you maybe placing on it.

You've actually made it more difficult for her to cope up since you have changed her bedding and this means that she will also need to accustom herself with the surroundings. I think you can help her prepare for some premature delivery now by providing her pieces of tissue paper that she will use for nesting, adding food (specifically calcium and protein rich food) and removing potential additional causes of trauma like hamster wheels in her enclosure.

#5 Zoe's Zoo

Zoe's Zoo

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

I'd like to hear an update on mom & the babies. How are they making out?

#6 lacrima

lacrima

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

I would also like an update!

#7 iheartmyhammys

iheartmyhammys

Baby Hamster

• 25 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:34 PM