Photo

Help with my Robo's diet.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Yuukio

Yuukio

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

So... I can't help but notice, my Robo has gained a fair bit of weight since I brought him home, and he continues putting it on. He's really gotten quite large around the middle, too large. He's getting to the point where he reminds me more of an Russian Campbell's Dwarf than a Robo. I'm starting to worry that I'm overfeeding him, or maybe I'm feeding him too much fatty stuff. O-O;

To give an idea of what I feed him:

-A mix of Hazel Hamster and Carefresh Complete daily.
-A pinch of bird seed every other day. (This is majorly millet, with a few other seeds.)
-Rare piece of a Yogurt treat. (Like a quarter of one every 4 days or so.)
-3-4 Sunflower seeds daily.
-1 piece of corn daily.
-Tiny serving of fresh veggie or fruit every other day.

I don't really measure the food I give him. I've learned to eye the amount he seems to eat daily; though he'll usually leave behind a couple of the pieces he doesn't care for. He eats the majority of it. Anyone measure their Robo's daily food and know how much they give them?

#2 Zoe's Zoo

Zoe's Zoo

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

Actually, your diet sounds really good; nice and varied.

I'd reccomend 2-3 lab blocks(carefresh complete), 1tsp of seeds, and 1tsp of veggies every day.

Like this

- 2-3 Carefresh Complete pellets daily, depending on how big they are.
- 1tsp of bird seed/hazel hamster every day, that includes 1-2 sunflower seeds & 1-2 pieces corn. Check out Recommendations for Dwarf Hamster Mix
-1 tsp of veggies daily. Check out How Much Fresh Foods?
-Rare piece of a Yogurt treat. A quarter of one weekly would be great. They are REALLY sugary and fatty!

And a big factor in weight loss, is, of course, exercise! Robos are very active lil dudes so if you give him adequate space, he'll be much more active. Check out Minimum Cage Size! 15 minutes a day in a hamster ball or playpen is great too!

Best of luck!

#3 Yuukio

Yuukio

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:14 AM

His cage is about 380 square inches. Gonna be 480 square inches soon! He seems to be a bit less active than most Robos though. He does run on his wheel daily, but he seems to prefer tunneling around his cage. I actually added a second wheel to his cage yesterday; so he now has a 6.5" Silent Spinner and a Flying Saucer wheel to play/exercise on.

But haha, from your list, it does appear that I've been overfeeding him. I think his weight gain is majorly my fault. I'm gonna slowly cut down on his food over the next week or so and see what happens. Get this little guy's weight under control. XD

#4 Taxonomist

Taxonomist

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:02 AM

Question: Are you picking the corn and peas out of the Carefresh and Hazel Hamster? Or are you feeding them as they are? As I understand it, corn and peas are sugary treats that provide little nutrition. They're not toxic or anything, but for a chubby hamster, it might be a good idea to cut them out entirely or limit to 1 per week or so.

#5 Lillias

Lillias

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:03 AM

Maybe try going down to 2 sunflower seeds daily. Hamsters don't really overeat, but they will eat more fatty foods if you let them. I think a touch more veggies and a touch less seeds would help.

#6 Yuukio

Yuukio

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:52 AM

I have the peas and corn separated from the food so I can watch how many I feed him. I've been less careful about it with him than I was with my Russian Dwarfs since he's not prone to Diabetes, but obviously I need to be just as careful.

Thanks everyone for the tips. (: