Photo

VOLE breeders?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Anastasia♥

Anastasia♥

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

I've wanted voles for months. Evidently they are little hamster/gerbil-like rodents that are considered pests. From online research people HAVE kept them (taken from the wild) and I learned that they are EXTREMELY tamable. They're super friendly and they eat gerbil food, along with bugs (they catch them if they appear in their cage), and fresh greens daily. They also love hamster wheels and can live in groups. The longest-lived vole someone had was 4 years old. They are also extremely friendly and will sit in a pocket for hours, or snuggle up on your neck and fall asleep. They play readily and (most people say) they LOVE LOVE LOVE blueberries and pumpkin seeds.
Now, in my state (Pennsylvania) it's illegal to capture and keep a wild animal. But my mom said the only way I could have a rodent is if I caught it. I don't think she thought I would actually want to follow through with this.
I wouldn't catch one, though...too much risk of disease and such. You could also go to court for just having a PEST as a pet!
So are there any vole breeders in PA? If not, any that could be shipped to my house?
I want one so badly... :crybuckets:
I already made (most of) a cage.. it's 24 inches long, 16 inches wide, and I think 14 inches tall. I made it out of wire mesh (I Lysol-ed it and sprayed it VERY well with the garden hose on full power.
All I need now is 2 storage bin lids so I can ziptie them to the top and bottom. Good idea? Yes? No?
Well I definitely can't get a wildlife license because I'm only 14... last resort people!!
I want a rodent so bad!!

#2 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

Now, in my state (Pennsylvania) it's illegal to capture and keep a wild animal. But my mom said the only way I could have a rodent is if I caught it.

Simple solution to get a rodent: ask a friend to buy a rodent (hamster, mouse, or whichever one you wanted), "release it" in a small area like a lawn, and catch it...:laughing:

But why do you want a vole so badly? What about a hamster, a mouse, a gerbil, or another rodent?
Did your mom tell you why she doesn't want you to have a rodent unless you've caught it?
Do you have any sources of what you cited? From my short stint on Google, it seems that voles are seen as pests and aren't kept in captivity very often. They also don't live very long.

#3 Zoe's Zoo

Zoe's Zoo

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

Simple solution to get a rodent: ask a friend to buy a rodent (hamster, mouse, or whichever one you wanted), "release it" in a small area like a lawn, and catch it...:laughing:

doo iit XD !!!

But seriously, I have voles... they live in my backyard... oh, and they're not pets :cheeky:

I don't think it would be a good idea to catch one. Every wild animal I've ever caught (when I was younger) had fleas, mites, lice or was just sick. They get stressed out really, really easy and can die really fast for no apparent reason. Wild animals will never tame quite as well as domestic animals, and are never quite as happy in captivity.
It seems that you're really prepared for a pet rodent, but you just have to convince your mom. Start researching other rodents, such as rats, hamsters, gerbils, mice (and more exotic ones like spiny mice or degus. You seem to like unusual pets,) to find out what would be a good one for you. We can help you research here at HH too :D
Find out all your mom's problems with small animals and then show her that they aren't really problems. That's how I got my first hamster :) It shouldn't be too bard for you since I see you already have quite a few pets!
example:
Mom doesn't like the smell of pets
You tell her they only smell if you don't clean them out.
etc.

ETA: I think on goosemoose.com there's someone who keeps voles. Do a quick search and see if you can PM them!

Edited by Zoë's Zoo, 04 April 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#4 Anastasia♥

Anastasia♥

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

But why do you want a vole so badly? What about a hamster, a mouse, a gerbil, or another rodent?
Did your mom tell you why she doesn't want you to have a rodent unless you've caught it?
Do you have any sources of what you cited? From my short stint on Google, it seems that voles are seen as pests and aren't kept in captivity very often. They also don't live very long.

Excellent idea on rodents...hehe. Only problem is that it would be a -tad- too coincidental...lol. I live literally in the middle of nowhere so ya know...
And I'm not really sure why my mom won't let me buy a rodent. My dad said it's because if I kept it in the house, my mom would be afraid that at night it would crawl into her mouth. Based on the ridiculous stories my dad makes up, I'm not sure whether to believe him or not :fryingpan:

The reason I WANT a vole so badly?? Well, in my mind, there's something soo appealing about them. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something small, fat and adorable, virtually with no smell (from this website, and from the comments, however unreliable they may be. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvetwannabe123.blogspot.com%2F2008%2F09%2Fkeeping-voles-as-pets.html&ei=nnt8T7SGDMyq0AH5weWTDA&usg=AFQjCNHj_Wx5FgrYC5bVn002DPmlC_9soQ&sig2=f3821566dH2aNmHQCi9tcQ).... and one person had one that lived 4 years... that would be the red-backed vole, not the meadow vole, which only lives up to 6 months.
I can't get a mouse because they smell a lot, according to mouse owners. A rat is WAAAY too big, and even I would be freaked out. Also they need to be neutered/spayed with regular vet visits. Also you need big cages. A gerbil? Well you need them in pairs usually, and they aren't quite as tame as hamsters, and they won't just snuggle up on your lap and be still...hehe. I would love a hamster but we used to have one, and when it died my mom said "NO MORE RODENTS!!" because my sister was only 8, and she never cleaned its cage. It smelled REALLY bad, which is why my mom thinks all hamsters stink.
And voles are diurnal, perfect for me because my budgies would drive any nocturnal animal in my room INSANE. My room is the only room in the house where the dog and cats can't get to my precious, tasty little animals. My cats definitely have a strong prey drive because one of them caught my budgie (escaped from being locked up... I still don't know how) and we ended up with a $300 vet bill. My other cat bumped my betta fish tank when it was in the dining room and water spilled everywhere, and he tried to catch the fish. The goldfish just wouldn't do in the dining room on the stand because the 40 gallon tank won't fit in there.
I know I'm writing a lot, but when I write, I write in detail, so don't mind any extra info....
I'm not sure why my mom hates rodents so much, though. It's just weird :/
But I really do want a rodent... budgies cannot be snuggled, lol. Nor fish. My dog always rolls in the woods and he stinks (every day!!), and my cats cannot be carried around like you can a rat.

doo iit XD !!!

But seriously, I have voles... they live in my backyard... oh, and they're not pets :cheeky:

I don't think it would be a good idea to catch one. Every wild animal I've ever caught (when I was younger) had fleas, mites, lice or was just sick. They get stressed out really, really easy and can die really fast for no apparent reason. Wild animals will never tame quite as well as domestic animals, and are never quite as happy in captivity.
It seems that you're really prepared for a pet rodent, but you just have to convince your mom. Start researching other rodents, such as rats, hamsters, gerbils, mice (and more exotic ones like spiny mice or degus. You seem to like unusual pets,) to find out what would be a good one for you. We can help you research here at HH too :D
Find out all your mom's problems with small animals and then show her that they aren't really problems. That's how I got my first hamster :) It shouldn't be too bard for you since I see you already have quite a few pets!
example:
Mom doesn't like the smell of pets
You tell her they only smell if you don't clean them out.
etc.

ETA: I think on goosemoose.com there's someone who keeps voles. Do a quick search and see if you can PM them!

I write in detail, always, so make sure you don't get distracted by anything random I may add.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvetwannabe123.blogspot.com%2F2008%2F09%2Fkeeping-voles-as-pets.html&ei=nnt8T7SGDMyq0AH5weWTDA&usg=AFQjCNHj_Wx5FgrYC5bVn002DPmlC_9soQ&sig2=f3821566dH2aNmHQCi9tcQ
That link completely turned me on to voles...lol. Plus look up pics of red backed voles on Google...heaven!
And yes I do like exotic animals....a lot!! I usually take care of the more unusual plants and animals. That's just my "thing." But the rodent I'm looking for should be hamster-sized, not very smelly, would live in the cage I (half) built, be very tamable (to the point where it could sit content in a hoodie pocket while being carried around), live longer than 2 years, and be (hopefully) diurnal. My room is allergen-free (for the most part... I'm allergic to my cats and my dog, they're not allowed in there) so that's why I have 2 budgies, goldfish, and a betta with a couple of shrimp (actually, today Omelette ate one of the shrimp and is very sick).... My budgies would drive a nocturnal animal NUTS. They are VERY loud.
My mom doesn't want a rodent because she's afraid it will crawl into her mouth while she sleeps. But that's what my dad says :propeller:
I think my mom only wants me to get a wild animal because she thinks I won't do it. She also wants me to keep it OUTSIDE, which is easy enough in the summer, but in the winter I'd be able to beg to keep it in my room = perfect lol. But then again we live in the open country so we have bears, skunks, squirrels, raccoons, foxes, badgers, and oppossums which would find a little rodent easy prey. Not to mention feral cats running around.
Well so far voles fit the bill. Only problems are disease and such. I'm open to any suggestions xD :reporter:

Edited by Christmas_hamster, 05 April 2012 - 10:26 PM.

#5 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

I'm really against this. I think catching a WILD animal is just wrong. There meant to be in the wild not kept as pets. They live much happier n the wild, not in a cage, I think It's even illegal to keep wild animals as pets :undecided: I'm not trying to be rude or mean but They are wild animals and would be unhappy living in a cage, and would be happy where they can be free. Hamster's or a gerbil or a mouse would be better since they are domesticated. I really doubt a vole doesn't smell, Any animal can smell if you don't clean there cages often enough. I don't think a hamster would mind the budgies, they can be hard sleepers and can just sleep though it, also about a rodent crawling in your mom's mouth? lol I don;t think that could happen if you secure the cage well and close your door lol I really do suggest getting a hamster, instead of bothering any wild life.

#6 Anastasia♥

Anastasia♥

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

I'm really against this. I think catching a WILD animal is just wrong. There meant to be in the wild not kept as pets. They live much happier n the wild, not in a cage, I think It's even illegal to keep wild animals as pets :undecided: I'm not trying to be rude or mean but They are wild animals and would be unhappy living in a cage, and would be happy where they can be free. Hamster's or a gerbil or a mouse would be better since they are domesticated. I really doubt a vole doesn't smell, Any animal can smell if you don't clean there cages often enough. I don't think a hamster would mind the budgies, they can be hard sleepers and can just sleep though it, also about a rodent crawling in your mom's mouth? lol I don;t think that could happen if you secure the cage well and close your door lol I really do suggest getting a hamster, instead of bothering any wild life.

Haha I'm just thinking about how all rodents and every pet we can own were domesticated. In the beginning, people said rats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, and all others were meant to be wild. They carried disease and illness, and were considered pests. They bit people simply because they were not used to having them as part of their lives. People said it would be best to leave them alone. But SOMEONE had to have domesticated them, right? Rats and hamsters aren't too hard to get used to the human scent or hand. What is so different about voles? Any argument someone might have against it could be the same argument someone else had when somebody wanted to domesticate any other rodent!
But also (I'd never do this-- not enough skill or research, let alone a license!) keeping a baby vole would be so easy. Raise it, keep it free of lice and fleas and such... easy enough.
But from what some people have said voles smell very little. Their urine doesn't have as much ammonia in it as others.
Now I'm just getting defensive here but I do have a point xD :mindblowing:

#7 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

I see your point but honestly I think we have plenty of animals already domesticated. Just keep asking your parents about the hamster. Let them know that hamsters really don't smell as long as you change their cage. Say you will keep it in a cage with a lock so it can't get out and get in your moms mouth :mindblowing: Keep at your research and don't give up. I researched hamsters for months before my parents eventually gave in.

#8 ratedKG

ratedKG

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

Great point of discussion. It is inhumane / illegal indeed to catch wild animals and keep them as pets. Even though I'm quite unfamiliar with voles because I've never seen one yet, I think your drive to know more about this creature is admirable. Who knows, maybe voles will also be domesticated and kept as pets in the near future because of your help. :earth:

#9 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

Please do not double post; I merged your two posts together. If you want to reply to multiple quotes than click "multi quote" in the bottom right hand corner of the posts you wish to reply too and then click reply at the bottom of the thread.

I can't get a mouse because they smell a lot, according to mouse owners.
Male mice smell, but females mice don't smell anyway near as bad so long as you keep their home clean.

A rat is WAAAY too big, and even I would be freaked out. Also they need to be neutered/spayed with regular vet visits. Also you need big cages.
Rats aren't that big, lol. But yes they need large cages and they must be kept in pairs or groups. However they do not need regular vet visits nor do they need to be speutered. It is beneficial yes, but not necessary. They do have a higher chance of needing to go to a vet than other rodents though not for vaccines and such. If you want cuddly though then this is the animal for you. ;) They are the only rodent that I would say is generally cuddly.

A gerbil? Well you need them in pairs usually, and they aren't quite as tame as hamsters, and they won't just snuggle up on your lap and be still...hehe.
They are up in the day a lot actually, they have little to no smell, they can be friendly that depends on the gerbils. Not many rodents are cuddly though.

I would love a hamster but we used to have one, and when it died my mom said "NO MORE RODENTS!!" because my sister was only 8, and she never cleaned its cage. It smelled REALLY bad, which is why my mom thinks all hamsters stink.
So prove her wrong! Even if a vole as a low amount of ammonia in their urine you would still need to clean the cage regularly. Hamsters don't smell when their cage is cleaned often enough.

She also wants me to keep it OUTSIDE
If that's your only option to keep your pet, even a vole, then you really should wait until you have better circumstances. You can't control the weather, predators, etc. It isn't safe. Yes a wild animal faces these anyways, but they have the opportunity to seek safer ground. In a cage they're trapped.

Haha I'm just thinking about how all rodents and every pet we can own were domesticated. In the beginning, people said rats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, and all others were meant to be wild. They carried disease and illness, and were considered pests. They bit people simply because they were not used to having them as part of their lives. People said it would be best to leave them alone. But SOMEONE had to have domesticated them, right? Rats and hamsters aren't too hard to get used to the human scent or hand. What is so different about voles? Any argument someone might have against it could be the same argument someone else had when somebody wanted to domesticate any other rodent!
Almost all if not all rodents were originally domesticated to be used as lab animals and those animals that were caught form the wild did not live happily ever after. If you look at Syrian hamsters for example the first family caught was back in 1912 and they put the mother in a bottle of cyanide because she started culling her young. They raised the pups and almost all of them died. All but three I believe. The colony was sent off to be used in medical experiments and they were used as such until they made their way to the pet market. Just because someone else has done it before does not make it right. Wild animals are born in the wild for a reason. There are plenty of domesticated animals already, and it sounds like you need to work on your Mum before you look into any pets, and look into your local laws. Most places don't allow you to capture a wild animal for a reason.

#10 Anastasia♥

Anastasia♥

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:48 AM

Hey thanks guys... :grouphug:
lol I don't think I really "need" a vole anymore!

I'll work at my mom for a hamster or rat, which would be better. I never even knew that hamsters were "domesticated" in such a mean way :(
But yeah you've convinced me!!! :laughing:

#11 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:49 AM

That was Syrians, each species has their own story. ;) Rats are lots of work and must be kept in pairs or groups and they do need a large cage. There's a good chance that you will need to visit a vet at least once in their life; not always for something life threatening but they don't have the best of health. For all of the effort that goes into them they sure do return it all in love and cute antics. Never a dull moment with rats, they're often described as dogs that don't bark, need walks or need to be trained. ;)
Hamsters make great pets too, but not all like to cuddle especially when they are young. But they sure do entertain, in comparison to rats they aren't nearly as much work.