Photo

Bleeding Bottom Area . . . alot

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 tedster

tedster

Baby Hamster

• 6 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

Well today is a very sad sad sad day :gloomy: :scared: :crybuckets:

We just recently got over the death of our dwarf hamster Bitsy (mine and my daughters) She lived 2 and half years :lovestruck:

So we purchased a male Teddy Bear Hamster named . . . Teddy of course almost 2 weeks ago :lovestruck:

One of the sweetest hamsters I have ever seen! One of the funniest too!

But today I found blood everywhere about noonish today (played with him for an hour last night no signs of anything that was wrong)!
It was all over his bedding in his wheel on top of his house and in his nest . . . and not to mention all over his bottom area. There was soo much I could not tell where it was coming from (it also looked like there was possibly some sort of something coming out of his bottom area . . . like part of an intestine . . . maybe? not a doc so I don't know for sure but it did not look right. I purchased him at petco . . . thought he would be fine had all the characteristics of being a happy healthy hamster . . . not one sign so far of any problem until today :crybuckets:

He had carefresh bedding . . . was fed Ecotrician food . . . as well as some tiny bits of spinach and strawberries (2 separate times)was all the fruits or veggies I had given him so far as we have only had him a short while.

I never saw anything out of the ordinary?????? He played in his wheel, in his ball, stuffed his cheeks full of food . . and was very nice.

Has anyone had any experience with this at all? Any thoughts?

Well I don't find out for a couple days what happened . . . since I only purchased him less than 2 weeks ago, I took him back to the store where I got him and they rushed him to the vet tonight but said they wouldn't be able to tell me what happened for a couple days (I'm sorry if anyone thinks I am a bad person for taking him back, but I do not have the money to euthanize a pet 2 weeks after I buy him) We are all very upset about this especially my little 7 year old as he was a replacement for the last one that had passed away not too long ago, she is completely broken up about it.

So if anyone has any suggestion on what happened I would be forever grateful . . . if it turns out that he was OK they will return him to us :crybuckets: but it doesn't seem good I am not going to sleep tonight!

#2 tedster

tedster

Baby Hamster

• 6 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

Sorry if I left anything out ABOVE I copied and pasted these questions to help . . . .

1. Breed of hamster? SYRIAN TEDDY BEAR

2. Age of hamster? NOT SURE EXACTLY ABOUT 3 TO 4 MONTHS

3. Bedding used? CAREFRESH IN WHITE

4. What kind of food do you feed? ECOTRICIAN

5. What type of cage are they in? PLASTIC (NO BARS)PLENTY OF VENTILATION

6. Has there been any recent cleaning with chemicals or air fresheners near the hamster cage? NOPE

7. How often do you clean the cage and how? CLEAN POOPS OUT EVER DAY AND FULL CHANGE OF BEDDING ONCE PER WEEK SO DID IT TWICE SINCE WE GOT HIM.

8. Any odd or unsusual odors? NOPE

9. What symptoms are they showing?BLEEDING OUT OF BOTTOM AREA NOT SURE EXACTLY THE EXACT LOCATION TOO MUCH BLOOD

10. Do you feed fresh foods (lettuce, carrots, etc)? How often? When are they removed from the cage? FED 2 DIFF FOODS SMALL AMOUNT OF SPINACH AND SMALL AMOUNT OF STRAWBERRIES ON 2 SEPARATE DAYS ONLY TWICE TOTAL ONCE EACH

11. Have you added anything new to the hamster's cage? NOPE

Edited by tedster, 04 April 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#3 missPixy

missPixy

Magician Ham

• Advisor
  • 13,004 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

[quote name='tedster' timestamp='1333498090' post='590965']
Sorry if I left anything out ABOVE I copied and pasted these questions to help . . . .

7. How often do you clean the cage and how? CLEAN POOPS OUT EVER DAY AND FULL CHANGE OF BEDDING ONCE PER WEEK SO DID IT TWICE SINCE WE GOT HIM.

this is not something you should do with a hamster~~ clean out the poop every day. the only thing to
clean out regularly is the spot where he urinates; hamsters practice coprophagy, which means they
"re-ingest" their feces to extract vitamins. so for this reason you should not clean out the droppings
this frequently. it would be stressful for the hamster, as well.

9. What symptoms are they showing?BLEEDING OUT OF BOTTOM AREA NOT SURE EXACTLY THE EXACT LOCATION TOO MUCH BLOOD

what you described (the intestine-like thing) sounds like rectal prolapse,
which is when the intestine protrudes. usually this happens after a bout with diarrhea;
there may have been some backstory to this little guy before you got him that is the
root cause of this. normally, rectal prolapse is not an operable condition; and unless
the hamster has an amazing recovery, they usually don't survive this condition.

#4 L&B's Mama

L&B's Mama

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

Oh :( I think that's what happened to my poor Bolt. May she rest in peace.

#5 Anastasia‚ô•

Anastasia‚ô•

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

I agree with missPixy.... hang in there, little ham! Best of luck to you and your new friend... you'll both be in my prayers :oxygentank:

#6 tedster

tedster

Baby Hamster

• 6 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

Oh sorry meant to add I clean the poop and wet spots (not just the poop) up that are just out in the open, like in the wheel or near his food bowl . . . I don't disturb him when I do it, because he is in his ball when I clean up :lovestruck:

This is very upsetting to me . . I wish I would have known of any previous condition so maybe there was something I could have done to help . . . I pray he will be okay he was soooooo young :crybuckets:

Thank you for your post miss pixy . . . I guess all I can do now is wait :undecided:

#7 tedster

tedster

Baby Hamster

• 6 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:24 AM

:crybuckets: Well, update . . . my poor Teddy Bear passed on last night from what Miss Pixy said was rectal prolapse. He was the sweetest hamster I have ever seen and the funniest. I hate the pet store for not letting me know about any pre-existing conditions, he showed no signs of distress until the severe bleeding I found. I wish I would have known then maybe I could have gotten him the help he needed! :hissyfit:

:rainbow: :crybuckets: Well off to rainbow bridge my furry friend I hope you find peace and happiness! Love and miss you :crybuckets: :rainbow:

#8 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:58 AM

I'm so sorry :(

#9 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:09 AM

I am so sorry for your loss and yes I do believe you are correct on that statement that pet stores should tell their customers if there is anything wrong with the animal instead of trying to make a buck; *sighs* it's moments like these that make me love my small owned pet shop down the street more and more.

#10 PinkPumpkinGirl

PinkPumpkinGirl

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:10 AM

I am also sorry for your loss. Most pet stores do not care for their pets at all. I highly doubt it was even ever noticed by them.

#11 L&B's Mama

L&B's Mama

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss, and I know how you feel. My poor Bolt passed away from the same thing, and I also bought her from a pet store. So they sold me a pregnant hamster, and an ill one -.- RIP Bolt <3