Photo

Ever get scammed on eBay?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Anastasia♥

Anastasia♥

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

2 weeks ago I ordered a green DS Lite, because my coral pink (about 5-6 years old) finally broke :'( It has been dropped, chipped, and dirtied up many times. It began deleting game files, so it was time for a new one!
I bought this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/290688311766?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I should have researched it first because after I got it, I noticed MANY things wrong with it.
1. Packaging was completely different, also Photoshopped
2. DS just looked...suspicious
3. Rubber squares on top screen are not flush with plastic
4. Sound quality is bad... much lower tones than my coral pink
5. Buttons have a different feel, harder to press
6. Instruction booklet is poorly translated. LOTS of typos
7. No PictoChat booklet
8. Beginning user name is 1111, not Nintendo. Beginning color was grey, not navy blue.
9. Touch screen isn't very sensitive at all
10. Came with 2 screen protectors already on
11. Screen protector protector (you heard me!) had a sticker on it that said "remove after assembly. 2."
12. GBA slot protector is extremely hard to pull out
13. Battery life lights are different sizes
14. Game slot, lanyard holes, and charger holes are misaligned
15. White coloring on back is not centered
16. "Serial number" (not even real I'm sure) is worn off
17. DS came with 2 knock-off styluses. One is hard to put in/out, the other keeps falling out

And several more problems. I'm worried it will break, so I might return it (if my mom lets me!). Very disappointed, considering I've never been scammed before. I also got an e-mail after buying it that said "Plese buy new ""80 game pack" which is a game that has 80 games in it. Reply to get link so you can buuy it."

I'm sooo mad! I seriously thought I was getting a deal... it was 79 bucks. Free shipping. Online searching says that you should NEVER buy a DS on eBay because it's most likely a knock-off. Hopefully it will work in the time that I have it :/

Another scam is my uncle wanted to buy a boat off of eBay, the username was foreign, and the grammar was bad. They said that they would ship it to my uncle when he bought it, and they said they lived several states away so it would be inconvenient for him to go see it. He lied and said that he was visiting a brother in that state, and that he could drop by to see it. They never replied back.

Any scam stories? Warnings? Post!

#2 MilkyFactory

MilkyFactory

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

I rarely buy on ebay because it really isn't safe, there's nothing you can do incase you get ripped off...
I buy all my eletronics and expensive items first hand in actual stores usually, it's just safer.
I do buy alot of books and DVDs (+ misc items) from amazon, it's alot more truth worthy to me, I've NEVER had any issues and shipping is very fast.

Anyway, I hope you can send it back, it's really the best thing to do.
Explain the situation to your mom, I'm sure she will aprove.

#3 Chocolate Hamsters

Chocolate Hamsters

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

From what you describe, this might be a counterfeit nintendo.
Counterfeit products are poor quality, fake products made look like the
real thing. (ie. a coco chanel handbag might sell for thousands but the fake ones, made to look exactly like the
proper thing, would sell for about 30 euro.)
I have never seen a nintendo in that colour green before. Your right, it does look suspicious.
I would be very wary of Ebay from now on. Alot of people selling you things there have counterfeit products.
Packaging is always different on counterfeit produce, so it doesn't surprise me that it was photoshopped.

The right thing to do is (try) take it back, and explain to your mother why you should.
It is far better to go into a games shop and see the nintendo right there and then, before you've paid.

#4 Mint Griffiths

Mint Griffiths

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

I suggest you watch out for Hong Kong sellers, they tend to sell counterfeit stuff.
You shouldn't buy things from Hong Kong, because most likely they are counterfeit.
I've heard of stories about fake products. They were all from Hong Kong.
My dad bought a videogame system but it was from the US. And guess what? Worked perfectly.
This is what I got: http://scourgonic.deviantart.com/art/It-came-298413478
It's called a FC Twin Combo, plays NES and SNES games like a charm.
If your going to buy products from ebay, I recommend the US. Mainly because I've never heard of counterfeit products from the US.

#5 Selina_chan

Selina_chan

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

( i sadly bought the pikachu DS lite ages ago, it was a complete knock of and made of re-used parts. I sent it back and got a full re-fund and bought one from a store.

#6 Illa

Illa

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:06 AM

That sucks! :I

Edit: My story

I bought a DS one time, it was purple and was only 20 dollars. I have never seen this colour of DS before. When I got it, the touch sensitivity was low and I had too press hard on the screen. It deleted game files and the book had very bad English (spelling 'English' engrish) I ignored the typos.

that user is Odd.

He posts electronics every 5 seconds :/

Edited by Illa, 30 September 2012 - 02:04 AM.