Photo

Sam vs. the Cornish Hen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

First this is first Hermione and Ginny because well they're beautiful!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sam from last weekend:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
NOSE
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Squirrel?
Posted Image

And now for the pictures of Mr. Sam eating a Cornish hen. I have been looking into moving him (and hopefully the cats later on too) onto a raw diet and while I have discussed it with my Dad (and he seems good with it, even helping me locate some places for cheap meat) I still need to convince my Mum. So in an attempt to show her that he could eat raw meat without dying I got him a Cornish hen to try since they were on sale for the upcoming Easter weekend. I honestly thought he would try and swallow it whole as soon as he could chomp it down to size. However much to my delight he was very thorough with it. C: So if you're squeamish about raw meat I wouldn't scroll down past this. ;)

You waaaaaant it?
Posted Image

Gently taking it:
Posted Image

What is this??
Posted Image

And then I got a video:

And he finished it off in the grass:
Posted Image

#2 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:16 AM

Awwwww so cute! :D I didn't know dogs could eat raw meat. :)

#3 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:22 AM

Nice decision to buffer the gore with pictures of cute animals first...:laughing:

Sam is enjoying his chicken so much! It's much less messy than I expected.
Good luck convincing your mom to get him onto a raw diet. I'd love to do it too but having a whole section of the freezer (or a whole new freezer) devoted to raw meat for the dog would be too much. :P Tell us how it goes!

#4 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

Awwwww so cute! :D I didn't know dogs could eat raw meat. :)

Thanks! Well since they're carnivores it's actually natural. Like hamsters eating seeds/nuts/veggies,etc. rather than lab blocks. ;)

Nice decision to buffer the gore with pictures of cute animals first...:laughing:

Sam is enjoying his chicken so much! It's much less messy than I expected.
Good luck convincing your mom to get him onto a raw diet. I'd love to do it too but having a whole section of the freezer (or a whole new freezer) devoted to raw meat for the dog would be too much. :P Tell us how it goes!

I thought it would be messy too, that's why we were outside hehe. I really hope she doesn't kick a big fuss up about it. She did when we got him and I was training him "all wrong" and yet something seems to have worked well with him that hasn't with past dogs who were trained with "I must dominate you before you take over the world method". :rolleyes: Ok she wasn't that extreme but still...
Some people do it with out going all out for freezer space, it just ends up being more expensive that way because you can't go bulk. We already have 2 chest freezers and my parents have been wanting to empty one out and shut it down for awhile now; so I'm sure I could use one or at least half of one for Sam. My Dad seems fine with it at least.

#5 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

Awesome pictures and I'm glad to see that Sam is enjoying that hen; I have a quick question, I thought dogs weren't suppose to have bones? Or was it de-boned?

#6 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

Awesome pictures and I'm glad to see that Sam is enjoying that hen; I have a quick question, I thought dogs weren't suppose to have bones? Or was it de-boned?

The biggest danger with bones is when they are cooked as they become brittle and splinter easier. When they're raw they are easier to grind and rarely will splinter. The bones actually make up part of a raw diet for dogs and are fantastic for their teeth. If you listen closely in the video you can hear him grinding the bones at one point.

#7 SouthPaw

SouthPaw

I AM smarter than a 5th grader !

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,812 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

Hahaha I love it! A meal for Juno is one leg.... Sam gets the whole thing. :laughing:

#8 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

The biggest danger with bones is when they are cooked as they become brittle and splinter easier. When they're raw they are easier to grind and rarely will splinter. The bones actually make up part of a raw diet for dogs and are fantastic for their teeth. If you listen closely in the video you can hear him grinding the bones at one point.

Ah, I knew it they were dangerous when cooked but I didn't know they were safe when they are raw. Thank you for letting me know that little tid bit.

#9 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

No problem SerenityHamster! :)

Well the chicken weighed just under a lb so it's not thaaaaat big, lol.

#10 Isa

Isa

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:57 AM

First, it is nice to see Hermione and Ginny again! How old are they now? I still remember them as teeny tiny kittens :babybonnet:
Second, when I read the title I thought it was about Sam meeting a live hen :rotfl: but that's interesting anyway! I keep reading about benefits of a raw diet for cats and dogs but I don't think I could do it, apart from the occasional treat. (No, I don't have cats but definitely will in the future :cat: )

Edited by Isa, 04 April 2012 - 01:00 AM.

#11 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

First, it is nice to see Hermione and Ginny again! How old are they now? I still remember them as teeny tiny kittens :babybonnet:
Second, when I read the title I thought it was about Sam meeting a live hen :rotfl: but that's interesting anyway! I keep reading about benefits of a raw diet for cats and dogs but I don't think I could do it, apart from the occasional treat. (No, I don't have cats but definitely will in the future :cat: )

Hermie and Ginny are 6 years old if you cna belive it! They still act like kittens half the time, lol. The more I read about raw diets the better they seem, and if you do it right it's cheaper than premium kibble. I'm usually squeamish with raw meat but seeing a happy dog (or cat!) with it can change minds, hehe. The only thing it seems with cats and raw is that they can be a bit pickier and more difficult to switch.

#12 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:04 AM

Good luck convincing your mom :) We used to have our dogs on a raw diet but now they are on kibble :embarassed: I wish my mom would switch them back, they seemed so much healthier. We have one dog that was born with deformed hips (her hips are pretty much dislocated and fused where they are not supposed to be) and has these "attacks" where they will just cause her sudden pain and she will yelp and dart across the room really fast. She had less of these attacks when she was on raw diet. We also have another dog that seems to have a natural "funk" I'm curious how a more natural diet would help with this.

#13 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:51 AM

It seems that a lot of people notice less issues while their dogs (cats or ferrets) are on raw diets, if they are done right; though it's not fair to say that it is a miracle diet but it sure seems that way for so many people though. Dog Food Chat forum is a great website if you want to look into it again, they have a board dedicated to raw diets.

#14 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:12 AM

I think I should. I really need to talk to my mom about it. Either way I have a few dogs getting up there in years and less processed food can't hurt.

#15 SouthPaw

SouthPaw

I AM smarter than a 5th grader !

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 5,812 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:29 AM

Yep my cat is on raw because he has irritiable bowel disorder... he's actually had it his whole life, but it didn't get diagnosed until just recently, at 10 years old.... and he's made a complete 180 change, for the better. I can tell when he's being naughty and steals some of the dogs' kibble, because then he pukes. Cats especially can be more intolerant to processed foods since they are obligate carnivores, dogs do a better job of digesting grains and carbs and fruits and veggies.

Pretty amazing how diet affects the body.