Photo

My hamster no longer has testicles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brysche

Brysche

Baby Hamster

• 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Hi. I promise you that I am not trolling. This is a very serious question and I'd appreciate real answers.

My teddy bear hamster escaped about a month ago do to a faulty cage. We recently found him outside in our rabbits' pen, which is very close to the door. We assumed he got out through the door and made it to their pin because it's full of burrows. We recently found him out there-- he had been eating their food and gained a lot of weight. Can't tell you how cute it was to see him out there!

But anyway, I noticed he no longer seems to have testicles when I picked him up. Before he was lost, he had prominent testicles like most male hamsters. He seems perfectly healthy, and he is still excreting properly, but this part of him just seems to be missing. After using Google, it has said that it's something hamsters do depending on the temperature of their environment, but I'm skeptical.

Thanks

Edited by Brysche, 01 April 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#2 Plushie

Plushie

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

How long has it been since you've found him and brought him back inside again? Is it colder outside than inside where you live?

Yes, when it is colder they tend to retract inside the body. I'm guessing this is the case...he can't have just lost them or anything!

But if he's acting normally (and you're *sure* he's the same hamster :P) I wouldn't worry about it. It's normal for their, uh, visibility to fluctuate as the temperature changes.

#3 MilkyFactory

MilkyFactory

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

If there are no visible wounds I wouldn't worry. :)
The man-bits aren't always visible, like plushie said.
If you want us to be 100% sure, you could always put up a picture and we'll probably be able to tell you if there are any abnormalities. :)
Thank god you found him though!

#4 Brysche

Brysche

Baby Hamster

• 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:41 AM

How long has it been since you've found him and brought him back inside again? Is it colder outside than inside where you live?

Yes, when it is colder they tend to retract inside the body. I'm guessing this is the case...he can't have just lost them or anything!

But if he's acting normally (and you're *sure* he's the same hamster :P) I wouldn't worry about it. It's normal for their, uh, visibility to fluctuate as the temperature changes.

I found him about a week ago. It's colder outside.

I'm really relieved this is something normal.

If there are no visible wounds I wouldn't worry. :)
The man-bits aren't always visible, like plushie said.
If you want us to be 100% sure, you could always put up a picture and we'll probably be able to tell you if there are any abnormalities. :)
Thank god you found him though!

No wounds. I'm kind of certain that it's completely natural what happened to him, no need for pictures.

Thank you everybody!

#5 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:38 AM

I agree with Plushie & MF about the temperature causing the testicles to retract.
I'd like to add that if he has gained weight, and he is bigger now, his testicles may not be visibly protruding as they were before the great escape, simply because the rest of his body is bigger, and so your visual perspective of his body has changed.

There is no way he could have lost his testicles or anything like that (there would be a gaping wound if he had been castrated, which is not the case here, phew!).

I am picturing a little hammy in a rabbit hole, cuuuttee :bunny: :hamster5: The bunnies must have been protecting him!