Photo

Heterochromia!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jolty

Jolty

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

The other day, I was in a petshop and they had recently gotten a shipment of Syrian hamsters, which they had separated by gender. They had about seven females, but only two males. I went to the female tank first. This particular store allows you to place your hand in the tank to pet the animals, so I did that, and one climbed right onto my hand. I lifted her up to get a closer look at her. She was a dark tan colour with a white band on her back. The most stunning thing about her, though, was that she had one ruby eye and one black eye.

I then went to the male cage, and the tan male also had one ruby and one black eye. So gorgeous and special!

I would have purchased the female (she had nicer fur and was much friendlier), but unfortunately I am moving soon. I hope I can get a hamster like that one day, though.

#2 Puddlesisa

Puddlesisa

Baby Hamster

• 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

awesome!! :mindblowing:

#3 MilkyFactory

MilkyFactory

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

There's a ham on the other forum where i go who has heterochromia too.
It's more and more common and is aparently a genetic issue caused by poor breeding.
But it's cute.
This is Miette:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

That does look really cool and cute; I know hamsters don't really have great eyesight but do these sort of eyes affect them in anyway?

Edited by SerenityHamster, 30 March 2012 - 11:53 PM.

#5 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

That is too cute! :D I hope you do find a hamster like that when you move. :yes:

#6 Isa

Isa

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

So cute! :lovestruck: I remember the topic of hamsters with heterochromia, or "odd-eyed" as they are affectionately called, has been brought up before. It seems it happens randomly in hamsters who have or carry the cinnamon gene, and any sort of white pattern. (for example cute Miette above appears to be a mink banded, and mink is a cinnamon combination). There was a page on the Purple Kat Kritters website about it, but I can't find it anymore. If only these quirky "anomalies" were the only consequence of bad breeding :disappointed:
And as I like to mention and laugh about :cheeky: everytime this topic is brought up, me and my friends in our teens met (and one of my friends had a slight crush on) a (human) guy who had heterochromia. Seriously, he had one blue eye and one brown eye. So, being the cheeky girls we were, we decided to nickame him "The Husky". :rotfl: Ahh, memories...