Photo

Campbell dwarf cage agression

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hamstermaniac15

Hamstermaniac15

Baby Hamster

• 15 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:41 AM

Hi i am new to the forums, my name is eric and about 2 weeks ago i bought 2 campbell dwarf hamsters. Unfourtinally after having one for 3 days he passed away due to diabeties. (R.I.P Blaze :/). Haze is my other dwarf, he is energetic, lovea to burro, and go in his tubes. I have him in a 10 gallon tank, i use carefresh bedding a 6.5 silent spinner he also has a iglo that he sleeps in. Haze is great when hes out side of his cage i can hold him play with him, but everytime i put my hand in his tank he charges at me, and bites me. I dont know why, and if anyone could help i'd highly apreciate it, thanks so much.

#2 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:59 AM

You can put a cup, tube, bowl, whatever he will climb into and throw a treat in there. He should climb in and you can lift him out that way. Another thing that would help is upgrading his cage. We recommend at least 360 square inches of space (about the size of a 20 gallon aquarium) for hamsters. If he doesn't feel as cramped he wont be as territorial :)

#3 Hamstermaniac15

Hamstermaniac15

Baby Hamster

• 15 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:45 AM

Yeah i guess, that makes sense i mean he likes fine like he has tons of room to run around and stuff. Wht treats do you suggest for campbell dwarf hamsters?

#4 Apples

Apples

Baby Hamster

• 44 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

It's because his cage is too small. I'd upgrade to 20 gallon+ My WW would bite me (not nip like she usually does) when I put my hand in her cage, but now that I added a second cage and made it twice as big, she doesn't even mind me petting her in her cage. There's similar stories floating around online, so it's definitely because his cage is too small.

For dwarves I suggest staying away from fruit. Fresh vegetables (in tiny amounts once a day) are good treats and so are sunflower seeds if you keep them out of his main food dish and hand him some daily.

http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67470
Scroll down to the dwarf list for some good fresh food to feed. My hamster personally goes crazy for broccoli.

#5 Hamstermaniac15

Hamstermaniac15

Baby Hamster

• 15 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:08 AM

Well i can stroke him and stuff, i dont know i just handled him just now and he didnt bite me which was odd i think i just wake him up and he gets cranky. This time when i got back from school he was already up and on his wheel i think im just going to work on it with him. I dont know if he doesnt get better then i'l just go buy a 20 gallon tank. I have been feeding him grapes but not often i dont want him to develope diabetes so i take good care of him. :)

#6 Apples

Apples

Baby Hamster

• 44 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

Oh yeah waking them up = really cranky. Usually with small cages they are 100% sweeties when you take them out of their house. I really think personally 10 gal is much too small for him.

Avoid the grapes and buy some veggies, they're great treats, too (:

#7 Hamstermaniac15

Hamstermaniac15

Baby Hamster

• 15 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

Alrite il defiantly do that:). Also i have a syrian hamster has in a 20 gallon but, my friends dad owns a pet store so i can come in there and pick out any cage i want. So what im going to do is, get him a 3 level cage, and then move my dwarf to the 20 gallon tank :). Also can i feed my dwarf cuicumbers?

#8 Apples

Apples

Baby Hamster

• 44 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

That sounds like a good plan! http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67470 according to that cucumbers are more of a water source than anything.

Edited by Apples, 31 March 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#9 Raigne

Raigne

Baby Hamster

• 30 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

If you're looking for something that can hang out in the fridge for awhile, broccoli and zucchini are good choices. Just ask your mom/dad to get some next time they go shopping and let you have half a broccoli crown and about 1/5th of a small zucchini. They can cook up the rest of it so it doesn't go to waste. Give the hamster a slice of zucchini and a couple chunks of the broccoli about the size of the top of your thumb every other day (or if you feed him less veggies at one time you can give them more often).

#10 Hamstermaniac15

Hamstermaniac15

Baby Hamster

• 15 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

Oh ok thanks a lot guys, my syrian is still a baby so when hes fully an adult il get him a new cage :).