Photo

Blind hamster?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

So Pumpkin has been showing lots of signs of aging lately and I have some questions. The First thing is i think Pumpkin is know Fully blind, Because there are 2 very big clouds in his eyes, it's very noticeable when it gets dark out but in the boring when there's light you can tell I was wondering if he could have cataracts? and is it possible for Hamsters to Get Cataracts? It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all but is there anything I have to do? like take out any levels? another thing is i've noticed Him Not eating any of the harder food bits and only the tiny seeds, HoppingHammy and a old member of this forum said to Heat up about a small spoonful of water in the microwave in a little dish, then put some pellets/mix in (not the hard seeds though) and let it sit about 2-3 minutes, then poke it and mash it up with a fork and feed it to him once it's cooled slightly. So I gave him that today and he really liked it, So How much should I give and How many times a day? I really want Pumpkin to be as comfortable as possible as I want him to stay healthy. And Is there any colds or diseases he could get and because he's older and how I could prevent them? Really Sorry for all the Questions!

#2 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,387 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

but in the boring when there's light

Amaryllis's cookies really DID affect you, didn't they? *POKE* ;D *muhahaha*

*ahem* Ok. *puts on serious face* I do believe if the eyes look cloudy that it means cataracts. If they are bulging however, that would be glaucoma and that can be very painful if left untreated. Again, not to worry if Pumpkin is blind. It really doesn't affect the quality of life that much, but it's recommended that you don't change anything around in the cage so they can always know where the food/water/house is. Secondly, about the food mashing thing (I *might* try to get a video of this later for you)......when I had a dwarf who couldn't chew, I would feed her at least 3 times a day, or whenever she would come out and walk around. I put a small amount on a spoon and gave it that way. She usually would eat for a while, but then start stuffing it in her cheeks when she wasn't hungry anymore. I let her put a little in her cheeks, but not much as I didn't want it to spoil. And don't forget, you can also offer a wide variety of other foods besides mashing pellets. There's baby food, yogurt, soft cheese, soft lettuces, applesauce, oatmeal, etc. :)

Lastly, for colds and diseases: I don't believe they can catch anything different from what they normally can catch anyway (human colds etc.), but their immune system IS a bit lower though. Always make sure there is plenty of bedding and shredded toilet paper to keep them warm and out of drafts. :) Hope this helps!

Edited by HoppingHammy, 29 March 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#3 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:35 PM

OPPPPSS! HAHAHAHA yes, yes it did! XD

*ahem* Ok. *puts on serious face* I do believe if the eyes look cloudy that it means cataracts. If they are bulging however, that would be glaucoma and that can be very painful if left untreated. Again, not to worry if Pumpkin is blind. It really doesn't affect the quality of life that much, but it's recommended that you don't change anything around in the cage so they can always know where the food/water/house is. Secondly, about the food mashing thing (I *might* try to get a video of this later for you)......when I had a dwarf who couldn't chew, I would feed her at least 3 times a day, or whenever she would come out and walk around. I put a small amount on a spoon and gave it that way. She usually would eat for a while, but then start stuffing it in her cheeks when she wasn't hungry anymore. I let her put a little in her cheeks, but not much as I didn't want it to spoil. And don't forget, you can also offer a wide variety of other foods besides mashing pellets. There's baby food, yogurt, soft cheese, soft lettuces, applesauce, oatmeal, etc. :)

Lastly, for colds and diseases: I don't believe they can catch anything different from what they normally can catch anyway (human colds etc.), but their immune system IS a bit lower though. Always make sure there is plenty of bedding and shredded toilet paper to keep them warm and out of drafts. :) Hope this helps!

Thanks HH! OOOOOOHHHHH Did you say VIDEO?!?!?!? YES PLEASE! :D PS Go on chat!

Edited by SyrianPumpkin, 29 March 2012 - 11:37 PM.

#4 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,387 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:41 PM

Sorry can't chat until later. :crybuckets: Lots to do today........like *maybe* a video! :cheeky: (Note the word that keeps appearing - maybe) hehehe. But........TALK TO YOU LATER! :D

#5 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

Sorry can't chat until later. :crybuckets: Lots to do today........like *maybe* a video! :cheeky: (Note the word that keeps appearing - maybe) hehehe. But........TALK TO YOU LATER! :D

Okie Dokie! :DDDDD (You really know Maybe means yes! >:P)