Photo

Mazuri being discontinued everywhere?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,383 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

So I went to Petsmart yesterday, after my dentist appointment, and noticed the shelf was empty from Mazuri lab blocks for hamsters. I asked a worker if they had any other bags in the back and she said they will no longer be carrying it anymore. :crybuckets: She wasn't sure if the company was abandoning the product or simply creating a new formula, but she said they won't have any for awhile. SO FRUSTRATED. All of my hamsters love this, it's balanced, plus it wears down their teeth.

So I spent $10+ dollars and got Hazel Hamster for now (hope and pray that they actually eat it too!!), but I was wondering if anyone knows of a place that I can still find Mazuri online OR if you can recommend another type of block? I know Kaytee has the Forti-diet, but I haven't heard good things about it. There is also Harlan Tekland but I have never seen that brand in my life. HELP?

#2 Spangoid

Spangoid

Popstar Ham

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

$10 for Harry / Hazel hamster?! I pay £1.85 for I beleive a 850 gram bag!

#3 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

Well i found a couple websites that sell it:

http://www.mazuri.com/mazurihamstergerbildiet2lb-5e10.aspx

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754062

:D I hope you can find it some where or at least oder it :) :lovestruck:

#4 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,383 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

Yeah, it *is* pretty expensive, Shadow. :/

And oh my, Syrian Pumpkin!! I didn't even think of looking on Petsmart's website (figured it would be gone there too!) OR the manufacturer's site either! :duh: *feels silly* Thank you very much! With shipping it looks like this will cost $10+ also....grrr!! Normally I pay around $6, but I guess there are no other options. Thank you again!

#5 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

Yeah, it *is* pretty expensive, Shadow. :/

And oh my, Syrian Pumpkin!! I didn't even think of looking on Petsmart's website (figured it would be gone there too!) OR the manufacturer's site either! :duh: *feels silly* Thank you very much! With shipping it looks like this will cost $10+ also....grrr!! Normally I pay around $6, but I guess there are no other options. Thank you again!

._. To bad shipping is SO much >:[ It sucks your petsmart won't be getting them :(

OH AND ps. come on chat Y YOU NOT ON? I LONELY!

:O MAZURI SELLS ZEBRA AND BEAR FOOD!!??!?!?!? ME WANT! AND REINDEER?!?!??!

Edited by SyrianPumpkin, 29 March 2012 - 01:01 AM.

#6 Taxonomist

Taxonomist

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Moderator Team
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:03 AM

Just hang in there for a bit. I know my local PetSmart stores are TERRIBLE at re-stocking things. Maybe the employee was wrong and they'll have more of it in the semi-near future. Especially if the website still has it.

I only say this because I swear I've heard about this crisis before (PetSmart is getting rid of Mazuri!) and it ended up not being true. I hope that's the case this time.

If you need to switch, though, I highly recommend Oxbow. You can't get it at Petco or PetSmart, but lots of independent pet stores seem to carry it. It seems a bit healthier than Mazuri, because it's lower in sugary ingredients and higher in fiber.

#7 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:04 AM

I'm surprised people can find this in stores to begin with; when I was changing Serenity's food I tried looking for Mazuri and only found it in Rabbit and Guinea Pig food. It seems like no store wants to carry Mazuri Hamster/Gerbil food (in my state anyway). Actually I've noticed at three different pet stores they all seem to be pushing hard on the Kaytee foods and secretly hiding away all the good stuff; well it seems like it to me anyway.

Edited by SerenityHamster, 29 March 2012 - 02:09 AM.

#8 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,979 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:23 AM

Harland Tekland is considered a "vegetarian" rodent block; I guess
Mazuri has animal ingredients in it somehow. Harland is the block
I use for my rehab squirrels.

#9 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:35 AM

My petsmart is notorious for discontinuing what ever food I happen to need to buy from them. They be evil that way. But jeez that is expensive for Hazel, it's not even that much here! Have you tried any other stores?

Harlan Teklad won't be sold in stores; try contacting local universities, local small animal rescues and maybe even some vets? The problem with teklad is that it can be difficult to get a hold of unless you are buying in bulk. When I got a bag for my rats it was a huge bag (30 lb I think) and that was buying it from a local rescue/rat owner that had to buy 1 tonne of the stuff from one of the universities a couple of hours away.

#10 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:00 AM

They sell Mazuri in my Petsmart last time I was there. :scratchchin: It was the same price as Hazel though (which is $10) I think I'm going to switch to Hazel though since I think Poptart is getting bored with it and she loves seed treats so hopefully she will like this.

#11 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:12 AM

I got a new bag of Mazuri by ordering from the manufacturer. But, I also ordered their insectivore food for my hedgehog. The insectivore food came straight from the manufacturer, but the hamster food came from some warehouse in Indiana. Not sure what that means, exactly, but certainly Mazuri is doing something with their hamster food.

BTW, my hedgehog is going CRAZY over the insectivore food!

Edited by tinypixiexoxo, 07 April 2012 - 04:16 AM.

#12 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,383 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Hmmm, well THAT is interesting. :scratchchin:

#13 Luci

Luci

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

Ugh, the SAME thing happened to me, HH :pullinghair: The past 2 times I've been to Petsmart it hasn't been there!

*EDIT* I just checked the Petsmart link and wanted to see how much 2 bags would cost with shipping and it says that the manufacturer doesn't have that many in stock, and reverted my cart back to 1 bag. So even if you wanted to pay the $10 you could only get one!

Edited by Luci, 08 April 2012 - 12:57 AM.

#14 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,979 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

here's a site called thecraftyrat, and they sell Harlan blocks in 2lb and 5lb
quantities~~ pretty convenient!

Edited by missPixy, 08 April 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#15 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,383 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

That's SO handy to know! Thank you for the info missPixy. :hug: I went ahead and ordered a bag of Mazuri for now, but if it should be hard to find in the future, I will try that site you linked me to for the other brand.