Photo

My 7 dwarfs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 TheFeldhamster

TheFeldhamster

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:00 AM

Strange, i thought I had a thread on this forum about my RCs...???

Well, anyway - photo floooooood! Have fun!

Posted Image
Aurum & Apolo @ night von tina_6500 auf Flickr
(took that one with my new phone and now use it as the background for my lock screen on the phone)

Posted Image
Aura & Felsi von tina_6500 auf Flickr

Carrasco sleeps in the "Asker" (IKEA ceramic kitchen utensil)
Posted Image
Carrasco sleeps von tina_6500 auf Flickr
Posted Image
Carrasco sleeps von tina_6500 auf Flickr

Aero (one of Carrasco's sons) in a light tent:
Posted Image
Aero von tina_6500 auf Flickr

Posted Image

Posted Image
(yes, I should invest in a better backdrop)

Posted Image

Comb, comb, comb my hair... merrily, merrily, merrily....
Posted Image

Posted Image

For those who wonder what a light tent is:
Posted Image
Home made light tent von tina_6500 auf Flickr
made from hamper "JÄLL" by IKEA, plus 2 remote controlled flashes.

#2 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

Aww I just love them! The light tent is SO COOL! I NEEDS one!

#3 TheFeldhamster

TheFeldhamster

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

Thank you!
It's this super-cheap hamper http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70118968/ laid on the side. I keep it open with a bit of string. We drilled a little hole in one of the feet (look at the top right foot), threaded the string through and then I made a knot at the front handle. You can see the string on the right if you look closely.

#4 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

Aww, they are all so cute!

#5 Marisa

Marisa

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

*explodes from cuteness* Soooo adorable! Posted Image Those pictures of Aero are so sweet!!

#6 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,774 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

omg Tina! you went from having a singleton dwarf to 2 dwarfs to 7?
they are all so attractive!!

do the boys all stay together in one habitat, and the girls in the other? :scratchchin:
I remember your saying that in Germany, most people didn't keep groups
of dwarfs together.

#7 HoppingHammy

HoppingHammy

Master Chef Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 9,343 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

Beautiful pictures and great setup! I do photography as well, so actually knew what a light tent was! :D That's a creative idea to use a hamper! I made one out of a cardboard box and tracing paper in the past, but obviously it sort of fell apart hehe.

But anyhoo...your dwarfs are so precious and the soft lighting shows them off well! Nice to see photos from you again. :lovestruck:

#8 TheFeldhamster

TheFeldhamster

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

Thank you!

@missPixy: oh, did I forget to tell you? After Sonic passed away in Sept 2010 I adopted 2 RC girls in Nov 2010. Turned out one of them was a transvestite and in Jan 2011 they had a litter of 7 babies. So I actually had 9 hamsters for a while, LOL! They were the most adorable little fuzzballs I've ever seen (baby photos). I adopted out 2 of the baby boys and kept the rest. 2 of the boys still live together and seem to like each other very much. And the 2 daughters still live with their mum. Daddy and the 3rd boy each live single. The dad did not accept his boys when I separated them from their mother. I think this is because the dad was missexed and lived within a group of females until age 3.5months - I adopted him with 3.5months from the breeder. Then they took a while until they decided to mate at my place so Carrasco was already 6months old and had no experience of living with another male when I tried to introduce him to his boys. And the other boy started to get into fights in the group so I had to take him out when he was about 6-7months old.

The anti-group-housing attitude over here has changed quite a lot in the last 2 years. When I got my two dwarfs in 2010 it was still rather rare but now there are more and more people who openly group-house RCs. With robos it's still in the beginning stages, though.

@HoppingHammy: the hamper was really dirt cheap and I only had to attach that piece of string to hold it open, really easy to make.

#9 Isa

Isa

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:47 PM

Is your name Snow White? :cheeky:
I'm glad to see updates on your RC's! They look great and your photographic skills even more so :thumbsup:
I wish I could have RC's too, but they're rare in my country and the few ones seem to be aggressive, unhealthy and short-lived in general :sad: Buuut, if one day you find cute Aero gone you know it wasn't me :innocent:

#10 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:09 AM

You have so many! They are all just too cute and so small! :D

#11 Holzie

Holzie

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:51 AM

Wow... your hamsters are soo cute and you've taken the pictures fantasically! :o :D

#12 turtlesailor

turtlesailor

Baby Hamster

• 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

You're Dwarf Hamsters are lovely!

#13 astral

astral

Baby Hamster

• 19 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Your setups and pictures are so classy! You've inspired me.

So do Campbell's really enjoy dust baths? Is that sand in there? Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to hamster keeping.

#14 TheFeldhamster

TheFeldhamster

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Thank you all!

@astral: yes, Campbells enjoy sand baths a lot (all dwarfs do). They love, love, love to roll around in it to clean their fur. And satin Campbells would look dreadful without a sand bath. All my RCs have access to a sand bath with chinchilla sand 24/7. Not dust, though, dust would be too dusty. They do pee in it a bit but you can sieve the sand and don't have to throw out all of it all the time (that would be expensive). The group with the two boys also has a section with terrarium earth (Lucky Reptile Desert Bedding) in their cage. They like both - sand and earth very much.

If you have a wire cage and are afraid that they will kick too much sand out of the cage when rolling in it (the sand gets quite stirred up) then get yourself a cheap candy jar and use it as a sand bath like this:
Posted Image
Aero in his sand glass von tina_6500 auf Flickr
(this is an old pic when Aero was livin in a bin cage for a while before his diy cage was finished.

#15 TheFeldhamster

TheFeldhamster

Adult Hamster

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

Just took a little series of Almendra (one of my females) in her cage sitting in her Asker and gnawing dried dandelion root

Posted Image
Almendra von tina_6500 auf Flickr

Posted Image

Hmmm? Are you talking to me?
Posted Image

Oh, just taking photos. Ok then I can continue gnawing
Posted Image

It's still flashing... let's take a look
Posted Image