Photo

Greetings! Just another newbie here

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 astral

astral

Baby Hamster

• 19 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

Hello everyone. :) Let me first say that while I'm a crazy animal lover, I have never been a huge fan of rodents. A few days ago, though, this little guy quickly won me over with his charm and I took him home.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

His name is Boris, and he's a 7-month old Russian dwarf hamster (anyone know what the correct name for his species is?). He's a little spazz and pretty hard to photograph (also, my camera's not the greatest); but as you can see, he's a cute little demonic fluff thing. He was surrendered to the pet store I work at, along with a few of his babies...the previous owners had bought what they were told were two females, but obviously that wasn't the case. I guess they didn't want to deal with setting up separate cages, and found it easier to simply get rid of the male.

I look forward to reading through the archives here so I can learn more about hammie care and give Boris a good life!

#2 astral

astral

Baby Hamster

• 19 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

I guess I should maybe say a little about myself here too, huh? Well, I don't consider myself particularly interesting, but I work in a pet store and hope to enroll in a vet tech college program soon. In addition to the hammie, I have three cats, a hedgehog, a bunch of reptiles (a bearded dragon, two leopard geckos, a gargoyle gecko, a crested gecko, a Colombian red-tail boa and two emerald tree boas), and two betta fish.

I guess I don't have many "hobbies" outside of my pets, unless you count eating, drinking, music and movies, reading, going for walks, etc.

#3 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

And Greetings to you :wave: ! You have a very cute hamster on your hands! I'm not to sure on the correct name for his species is since I only have Syrian's.
Aww your pets sound cute you should post some pictures of them I would love to see more of them! oh and Boris! :lovestruck: <3 Oh By the way i'm SyrianPumpkin But you can just call me SP for short :) I'm sure you'll learn tons from here! :)

#4 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

Welcome to HH!
If you're intent to stay rodent free I will take that cutie off your hands. Or I'll just steal him, whatever. :cheeky:
Anyways, your little guy is called a 'Russian Campbell Dwarf Hamster' in English, but the scientific/Latin name is Phodopus campbelli. They are wonderful little hams, sometimes they can be found to cage aggressive and are very much prone to diabetes and should be tested every now and then. You can do that yourself with urine test strips from the pharmacy. Bayer's is a the usual brand in the US (go for the Keto-Diastix ones so you can test both the glucose and the ketones). If you have any questions at all then please feel free to ask!

#5 astral

astral

Baby Hamster

• 19 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

Thanks! C_h, that is good info to know. I need to get Boris on a better food soon to do what I can about the diabetes risk. What do you mean exactly by cage aggressive? He seems kind of afraid of me (avoids being picked up if he can), but he is curious enough to walk out of his Critter Trail cage if I open the door, and he hasn't bitten yet. I want to start giving him treats so that he'll like and trust me more...so far all I've offered him is a little piece of carrot.

SP, I'll post some more pet pics in the appropriate section at some point. :)

#6 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

Some RC dwarfs tend to be aggressive while in their cage. Not all do, but enough that they get a bad reputation from it among those that don't research much into it. Usually having a bigger cage can help with that though. ;)

#7 Mika

Mika

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

Hello ~~ NiNJA here.
You can call me Ninja or Mika, up to you ~~~
As for your little handling situation, i can relate !!

Ruffle is kind of the same, he will walk out but refuse to
get handled. Now he's okay with being handled with a
glove. I intend to suck it up and let him roam on my hand
soon. I hafta suck it up and continue even if he bites me

Don't be distressed at the behaviour he is showing right now.
It's quite normal and in due time, They will adjust to you handling them.
I recommend you handle them at least once a day or so, so he knows that
you will be handling him. He will eventually get used to your scent and
associate you as someone that is not a predator. He may bite if you just
pick him up right away, but be confident, don't drop him, and give him a
lot of love even if he's bitten you. I know this from self-experience.

With time, he will be okay with being picked up. The key task is to start slow.
^_^ good luck with your handling ~~ We're all here if you need some help ~

#8 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:35 AM

Hi welcome to HH :) I wouldn't give him a lot of carrot because it is high in sugar. Since you just got Boris you can expect him to be frightened for a bit. They are natural prey and see larger creatures as predators. Give him time and he will come around :) Although my hamster, Poptart, is tame and used to me; she still gets frightened when I first walk in the room or make an unfamiliar sound. One way to have him get used to you is to put a tissue or a piece of toilet paper in you shirt or sock for a few hours so your scent gets on it and put it in his cage. This helps him get used to your scent. Since hamsters can't see well they rely heavily on scent. Congrats on your new addition :) He's a cutie :)

#9 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:35 AM

Hi! Welcome to HH! Boris is adorable! I can't wait to see more of you and your pets around the forum. I hope you like it here! :D

Edited by princesshamster, 30 March 2012 - 03:35 AM.

#10 astral

astral

Baby Hamster

• 19 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the welcome, guys. :) I haven't noticed any cage aggression from Boris yet -- he seems to be a pretty easygoing dude, and quite curious. Whenever I open the door to his cage he comes out to explore, and yesterday he willingly crawled out onto my leg from there. He tries to escape while I'm holding him, but I don't think he's scared -- he just wants to explore everything! He doesn't even seem afraid of my cats, though I'm being very careful to make sure they can't hurt him. I only fed him the carrot once, and yesterday I gave him a small piece of broccoli which he seemed really into. He's so darn cute when he eats. XD He hasn't bitten me yet or given the slightest sign that he wants to, but even if he did it wouldn't be a big deal to me. I get chomped by my hedgehog on a semi-regular basis, and my python got me once, so this little tiny thing doesn't really intimidate me.

Edited by astral, 31 March 2012 - 02:22 PM.