Photo

Panda Bear, my miracle hamster.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#16 Mika

Mika

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:40 AM

I agree. her eyes look glassy and as if she was crying herself, not wanting to leave you.
Truly one of the sweetest hamsters I've ever seen in my life. She was special to you and
you were special to her, we've all seen that and can truly say it's a wonderful sight. :)

#17 princesshamster

princesshamster

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:16 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Panda Bear was truly so special. :) I hope you are OK. :hug: I'm positive you'll never forget her and she'll never forget you. May she rest peacefully. :rainbow: :rose: :candle:

Panda Bear:
P layful
A doring
N utty
D evoted
A dmirable

B rave
E nlightening
A dorable
R emembered

#18 Zoe's Zoo

Zoe's Zoo

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

Poor little Panda :( she had a hard life, but it would've been much worse without someone like you, Clare. You took such great care of her. I'm really sorry :(

RIP Panda Bear, you will be remembered :candle:

#19 Owned

Owned

Junior Hamster

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:38 AM

Oh why did I have to look at that picture...

I wish I could just pick that little Panda Bear up right now and cuddle her too.

Tinypixiexoxo, I know what you mean about the "it's just a hamster" kind of person. I was probably like that myself at one time. Then, someone gave me a hamster, and I realized that no, it's not "just a hamster", it's a sovereign little person (and a very cute one at that), with his/her own unique personality, who needs lots of love, and who in return gives lots of love (in his/her own subtle way).

I've had other pets before, but there's something about the bond between Hammy and I that almost rises to the level of "spiritual". And I can see, quite clearly, that that was the case with you and Panda Bear as well.

#20 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,783 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:22 AM

:hug: :'( :hug: :'( :hug: :'( :hug: :'( :hug: :'(

:hamster4: :rainbow: :cloud9: :rose: :candle: :hug:

Edited by missPixy, 02 April 2012 - 02:22 AM.

#21 malloria

malloria

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

"Last embrace" made me sob. I "hug" my hamsters the same way (when they let me--no hugging Ping the Robo!).

Not sure I could find something to say that hasn't been said, except to note that I had my dear Frasier die in my hands in December. You and I will remember our final moments with our precious furries for the rest of our lives. :candle:

I'm glad that you got answers to the medical questions. One might say that Panda advanced science. She will live on in the knowledge you and this forum now have and in the knowledge your vet and others can use to treat others like her.

And finally, how lucky we all are to be part of such a caring community! :grouphug: It makes the down times so much easier to bear.

#22 Luci

Luci

Ultimate Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:53 AM

Clare, I am so sorry to hear about Panda Bear. I feel terrible that I couldn't have been more supportive during this hard time and how late I am. I had been checking your status updates and been thinking about your little one, it could not have been a busier couple of weeks for me and I'm so sorry.

I've been trying to let my thoughts settle and try to write something to console you at this tough time, but there's really no words to describe how great Panda was and how valuable her little life was.

Panda may have lived for a shorter and more difficult time than we would've all hoped, but her legacy still lives on and a piece of her wonderful spirit has found its way into so many people's hearts. She has brought so many people closer, and has filled our hearts with joy and unconditional love. She was such a beautiful gal, and I'm sure her sister Koala was gorgeous, too.

Panda has proven time and time again that with a lot of bravery and a little luck, we can overcome nearly any challenge that comes our way. You lead her through so many paths of adversity, never leaving her side. There was so much devotion that only someone as extraordinary as you could give to Panda. Just reading through all of the obstacles Panda's overcome, some I didn't even know she had to deal with, I am still shocked that she tried so hard to maintain a happy disposition and look as charming as she does! It makes me smile seeing all of her pictures, and even in the videos where you're giving her meds, she still manages to keep a happy (and sometimes feisty!) personality. She brought us all some lighthearted humor in a difficult time for her and you.

Your bond was so close and brought joy to everyone. It was so sweet hearing about how all of the vets loved her so much and were so charitable and worked hard to keep her happy and healthy. Just thinking about this makes me cry; I remember how the day we put Harley down the vet told me how he brought smiles to her and the other vet's faces because even when they were prodding him and taking a biopsy of his tumor and looking at his cells, he was sweeter and kinder than nearly any other hamster they'd ever seen (apparently he didn't nip the vets like he did to me!) Knowing that such a big personality and spirit lives in such a small little body makes me wonder.

Panda loves you so much and I could tell she wanted to stay with you but needed to pass on. She looks just like Harley did in his little baby blue washcloth I held him in when they put him down- she doesn't look in any pain but rather peaceful just as he was.

Thinking about it, although we never want our little ones to leave us, Panda left you at a time you knew she was okay. I always hear stories of especially animals that are battling sickness- they suddenly are getting better and more normal, and then they pass away. It seems like a cruel series of events, but after hearing about Panda it makes me think in a completely different perspective. They want us to know that they are trying, and want us to know they left peacefully.

It reminds me of a little saying: "It'll all be okay in the end, and if it's not okay it's not the end". What a little miracle in its own that Panda, riddled with illness, had a few days of happiness in her last days. I think she wanted to let you know that she loves you and is ready to go on to the Rainbow Bridge. She was truly connected to you in spirit, and she'll definitely live on with you.

Goodbye for now, little Panda. We miss you and love you very much. You've earned your wings and although we miss you, we know you aren't sick any more. Please say hello to all of our beloved spirits while you're up there :cloud9:

#23 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

I'm sorry I'm so late to reply I wanted to make time to read the entire post. Panda had such a wonderful mommy and was a real fighter. She was certainly something special and will never be forgotten. <3
Rest In peace Panda, gone but never forgotten.

#24 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:33 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Panda Bear was truly so special. Posted Image I hope you are OK. Posted Image I'm positive you'll never forget her and she'll never forget you. May she rest peacefully. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Panda Bear:
P layful
A doring
N utty
D evoted
A dmirable

B rave
E nlightening
A dorable
R emembered

aww thank you Clare! That was a really sweet poem Posted Image I will never forget her!

Poor little Panda :( she had a hard life, but it would've been much worse without someone like you, Clare. You took such great care of her. I'm really sorry :(

RIP Panda Bear, you will be remembered Posted Image

Thank you.. I did my best. I think she lived much longer than what was expected with her conditions. I feel good knowing that.

Oh why did I have to look at that picture...

I wish I could just pick that little Panda Bear up right now and cuddle her too.

Tinypixiexoxo, I know what you mean about the "it's just a hamster" kind of person. I was probably like that myself at one time. Then, someone gave me a hamster, and I realized that no, it's not "just a hamster", it's a sovereign little person (and a very cute one at that), with his/her own unique personality, who needs lots of love, and who in return gives lots of love (in his/her own subtle way).

I've had other pets before, but there's something about the bond between Hammy and I that almost rises to the level of "spiritual". And I can see, quite clearly, that that was the case with you and Panda Bear as well.

It most definitely was the case with Panda and I. We had our little ways of communicating... she would climb on the bars when she wanted out... she would give me little communication nips so I would know if she was bored or upset.. She was such a treasure. I'm proud to be one of those few out there who believe that any animal deserves the very best, especially pets who are under our care.

"Last embrace" made me sob. I "hug" my hamsters the same way (when they let me--no hugging Ping the Robo!).

Not sure I could find something to say that hasn't been said, except to note that I had my dear Frasier die in my hands in December. You and I will remember our final moments with our precious furries for the rest of our lives. Posted Image

I'm glad that you got answers to the medical questions. One might say that Panda advanced science. She will live on in the knowledge you and this forum now have and in the knowledge your vet and others can use to treat others like her.

And finally, how lucky we all are to be part of such a caring community! Posted Image It makes the down times so much easier to bear.

I agree, Panda's illnesses, though stressful, taught us a lot about hamster health. My vet even said that she learned so much from all the time spent with her and with the medicines. Having a hamster die in your hands is so bitter sweet... I am so glad it happened that way instead of them having to inject something into her heart. Instead, the last thing she encountered was the familiar smell of my hand and my voice. Oh... :( How I miss her..

Clare, I am so sorry to hear about Panda Bear. I feel terrible that I couldn't have been more supportive during this hard time and how late I am. I had been checking your status updates and been thinking about your little one, it could not have been a busier couple of weeks for me and I'm so sorry.

I've been trying to let my thoughts settle and try to write something to console you at this tough time, but there's really no words to describe how great Panda was and how valuable her little life was.

Panda may have lived for a shorter and more difficult time than we would've all hoped, but her legacy still lives on and a piece of her wonderful spirit has found its way into so many people's hearts. She has brought so many people closer, and has filled our hearts with joy and unconditional love. She was such a beautiful gal, and I'm sure her sister Koala was gorgeous, too.

Panda has proven time and time again that with a lot of bravery and a little luck, we can overcome nearly any challenge that comes our way. You lead her through so many paths of adversity, never leaving her side. There was so much devotion that only someone as extraordinary as you could give to Panda. Just reading through all of the obstacles Panda's overcome, some I didn't even know she had to deal with, I am still shocked that she tried so hard to maintain a happy disposition and look as charming as she does! It makes me smile seeing all of her pictures, and even in the videos where you're giving her meds, she still manages to keep a happy (and sometimes feisty!) personality. She brought us all some lighthearted humor in a difficult time for her and you.

Your bond was so close and brought joy to everyone. It was so sweet hearing about how all of the vets loved her so much and were so charitable and worked hard to keep her happy and healthy. Just thinking about this makes me cry; I remember how the day we put Harley down the vet told me how he brought smiles to her and the other vet's faces because even when they were prodding him and taking a biopsy of his tumor and looking at his cells, he was sweeter and kinder than nearly any other hamster they'd ever seen (apparently he didn't nip the vets like he did to me!) Knowing that such a big personality and spirit lives in such a small little body makes me wonder.

Panda loves you so much and I could tell she wanted to stay with you but needed to pass on. She looks just like Harley did in his little baby blue washcloth I held him in when they put him down- she doesn't look in any pain but rather peaceful just as he was.

Thinking about it, although we never want our little ones to leave us, Panda left you at a time you knew she was okay. I always hear stories of especially animals that are battling sickness- they suddenly are getting better and more normal, and then they pass away. It seems like a cruel series of events, but after hearing about Panda it makes me think in a completely different perspective. They want us to know that they are trying, and want us to know they left peacefully.

It reminds me of a little saying: "It'll all be okay in the end, and if it's not okay it's not the end". What a little miracle in its own that Panda, riddled with illness, had a few days of happiness in her last days. I think she wanted to let you know that she loves you and is ready to go on to the Rainbow Bridge. She was truly connected to you in spirit, and she'll definitely live on with you.

Goodbye for now, little Panda. We miss you and love you very much. You've earned your wings and although we miss you, we know you aren't sick any more. Please say hello to all of our beloved spirits while you're up there Posted Image

Ohh Luci.. I only saw this now. What a touching letter. I miss her so much.. but I think you are right- she was telling me it was okay to let her go. It was the right thing, and it was hard. I really like that saying "It'll all be okay in the end, and if it's not okay it's not the end".. that helps me realize that it was okay and it was the end. Poor Panda bear.

Thank you for sharing your story with Harley. I think that holding them that last time is a very special event. I'm so happy she passed in my hands, so that the last thing she knew was my smell and my voice and my warmth. The vet was extraordinarily kind to me which made it so much more of a spiritual experience than a deathly one.

I am also thankful that she brought this community closer together.. that people were concerned about her and rooting for us.. it has helped me immensly as we went through the struggles month after month. I know that there are true friends on this forum that will be ready to give support if I should need it again, and I am ready to give it back.

Again, thank you for the wonderful message, it has touched me even today.

I'm sorry I'm so late to reply I wanted to make time to read the entire post. Panda had such a wonderful mommy and was a real fighter. She was certainly something special and will never be forgotten. <3
Rest In peace Panda, gone but never forgotten.

Thank you C_H.. she meant a lot to me and she was extra special because of how we bonded over her illnesses. She will never be forgotten.

Edited by tinypixiexoxo, 17 April 2012 - 01:42 AM.

#25 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

Thank you everyone. I shall revisit this topic periodically to remember Panda and to remember the great strength that came from our struggle.

Edited by tinypixiexoxo, 17 April 2012 - 01:44 AM.

#26 PinkPumpkinGirl

PinkPumpkinGirl

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:11 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. Panda Bear was one of my favorite HH hams! I wondered what happen to her when I had came back last month. I am very sorry for your loss. Your story and pictures have truely touched my heart. Posted Image Posted Image

#27 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:38 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. Panda Bear was one of my favorite HH hams! I wondered what happen to her when I had came back last month. I am very sorry for your loss. Your story and pictures have truely touched my heart. Posted Image Posted Image

Thank you! It was a really tough decision but I could not stand to keep her suffering. She will be remembered <3

#28 bubblepop727

bubblepop727

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

Aww... Made me really sad. I am so sorry for your loss. Reminded me of my little hammie who died just yesterday. At least our furries stopped suffering now, and that they are in peace. I know how it feels to go through a hamster death, and it's not easy. But Panda will always live in your heart forever. From the looks of it, you were the best mother you can be to her. Instead of letting her die, right at the spot, you descided to do something. Which is not easy to do, considering that your looking at your baby girl, suffering right in front of you. I want you to know that we are here for you. And I bet Panda now feels like a winner in hammie heaven, knowing that she had such a great life, and such a great mother. Again I am so sorry for your loss, and may Panda Bear rest in peace.