Photo

Panda Bear, my miracle hamster.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

Now that Panda Bear has passed, I would like to take a moment to remember her, and the struggle/bond we shared together. As many of you know, Panda’s life was not easy- it was in fact fraught with disease and hardship. But she was truly a fighter.

The story of Panda begins back in June when I had just gotten over the loss of Cookie, my dwarf hamster. I still had Jigglypuff at this point, but thought that having 2 dwarfs was always so fun and nice. So, I went to the petstore thinking of picking out a baby. When we got there, I found that there was a bunch of babies available! I found the babies I wanted to look at: 2 litter mates, one a black tuxedo, the other a grey/lilac. As I held them both, I looked at my boyfriend, and he back at me. We knew what we were saying without having to speak. I was going to bring them both home.
I named my new babies Koala Bear and Panda Bear. Koala was the grey baby with a little white on her paws, and much smaller. Panda Bear was the larger, dominant, black tuxedo. They were so fun and playful. So round, innocent, and squee-ishly delightful.
Unfortunately, Koala didn’t make it. After about a week, she stopped playing, running on the wheel. She stopped coming out of the igloo at all. One afternoon I decided to take her out (after leaving her alone for fear she hated human contact), and she looked to be on the verge of death. She couldn’t stand up, shook there and started to seize. She died in my hands moments later. I knew she was a runt, but had no idea why she died. Panda was left alone; her littermate had crossed the rainbow bridge.
Then, over the summer, I noticed a change in my other RC hamster, Jigglypuff. She began to drink way too much water, pee frequently, and she lost a ton of weight. This was when I started to look on forums and websites for help. I found PawTalk and Hamster Hideout, but unfortunately it was too late for Jigglypuff. Her diabetes was far too advanced. She died September 4, 2011. Jigglypuff’s death was the hardest pet death I’ve ever encountered- because I knew there was something I could have done to help her long ago. And that all that time, I had been feeding her all the wrong foods- a hamster mix high in sugars, and fresh peas and corn (did she LOVE them!).
But it was because of Jigglypuff and her ordeal that I found all my friends I have now on the forums. I learned about cage size and food, and changed my ways immediately. After Jigglypuff died, I realized that Panda Bear might too be at risk, because after all, Panda Bear was eating the same food that Jigglypuff was, that contained all that sugar and bad things.
Days within Jigglypuff’s death, I decided to go out and buy Keto-Diastix, the urine/glucose testing strips used for monitoring glucose output in humans, and other mammals. Sure enough, Panda’s first urine glucose test revealed the harsh truth- Panda Bear was diabetic.
The alarm of the reality caused me to go online to get answers. MissPixy and I connected over Panda’s case. We realized she was still very healthy- a plump 56 grams and no other issues other than excessive drinking and peeing. MP instructed me to go to the vet and demand certain human medications used for diabetes, namely Glipizide and Glucophage. On October 1st, Panda was finally placed on Glipizide, and an herbal remedy Gymnema.
With the help of MP, we gradually increased the dosage over time. I had been taking daily urine test readings to see if the glucose fell. On one occasion, it did fall. But we realized that it was the time of day that caused the glucose to rise and fall.. since a later reading that day revealed just as much glucose as before. But, at least what this told us was, there was probably some positive effect that the drug was having.
After a month or so of no improvement in Panda’s urine glucose, we switched medications to Glucophage, or Metformin. I had to order her prescription from a place out of state so that it could be compounded correctly, and flavored with Banana. Panda LOVED it… it was like treat time, with no medicine (except the icky herbal Gymnema)!
Being on the Metformin, Panda had a couple days where her glucose fell low, but it never stayed consistently low until much later. Poor thing was apparently stabilized at a point where her body was still unable to process most of the sugars from her diet (her diet consisted of very limited sugars, much less than before being diagnosed.. hamsters still need some sugar/carbs in their diet for nutritional balance). But we were not seeing the miraculous recovery we wanted.
In early January 2012, I noticed Panda was gaining a bit of weight. Then, after weighing her and feeling around her belly area, January 15 2012, I discovered Panda had a growth in her lower left abdomen area. January 16th, she went in to the vet, and came out with bad news- Panda had a large tumor in her reproductive area (probably uterus).
After being prescribed 3 more medications, MP urged me to seek other opinions, as my vet was not confident in surgically removing her tumor. However, the other vet I saw agreed with my regular vet that surgery was not the best option. So, we kept Panda on her anti-cancer herbal (Anihox), some anti-bacterial for the blood loss (Bactrim), and an anti-inflammatory (Metacam). Later, as Panda’s blood loss increased, we added a Chinese herbal as a blood coagulant, and KHA 6.
Interestingly, Panda’s outward appearance regarding the tumor began to improve. I could no longer detect it as I felt her. I thought for sure it was gone, or mostly gone, except for the fact that Panda continued to bleed.
Then, in early February, Panda started exhibiting more symptoms. She was itching relentlessly and losing fur in a few places. I brought her in, and they determined there were no mites, but they gave her Ivermectin anyway. I brought her in 2 weeks later for another round of Ivermectin.
Then, on March 15th, Panda started to go down hill fast. I thought, in fact, that she was going to die that night. She made it through the night, but unfortunately she was not improving, and I was unable to get her to the vet because it was my finals week at school and I needed all the time to work on the homework I procrastinated on. I cannot forgive myself for that.
MP and I talked, and we thought it could be hypoglycemia. Panda was sleeping in hidey huts and odd places that she never slept in, and was acting lethargic and strange. Her fur looked sickly and she started losing weight. I fed her baby food to perhaps combat the hypoglycemia, and she perked up for the weekend. But, she did not stay well for long. On Thursday March 22 I took Panda in because once again, she looked about to perish. We gave her an xray to look at the uterian tumor, and also to see if there was any lung tumors either. Panda’s breathing was labored and “clicky,” and she was losing weight fast. We put her on another, stronger antibiotic that would hopefully fight any respiratory infection, if there was one. We were unable to determine the cause of the breathing issues and decline in health, but the new medicine wouldn’t hurt her.
That weekend was a roller coaster ride. First Panda would perk up and eat foods and sleep in her normal places. Then she would decline, refuse food and sleep in odd places. There was even a time when Panda started begging to come out by standing up and clawing at the walls of her bin cage, or climbing on the bars of her CT house. The video was so happy, and I thought it was a sign of her getting better. But the next day (March 26, 2012), she exhibited heartbreaking behavior, such as running desperately on her wheel then stopping every few seconds to catch her already labored breath. She’d run up the tube to the petting zone and then turn around and run back down. Up, down, up, down. And as the day went on, she started to lose her odd energy.. she would try to run up the tube but she didn’t have the strength to get all the way up so she would just sit in the tube, breathing heavily. She would squirm a bit and try to go up but would get tired. If she did eventually get up the tube, she would sit there, heave, and then turn around and go down the tube.. sometimes getting stuck with her head facing down. It was scary. And I had to make the phone call.
So my vet called me and urged me to bring her in. She said there were a few last-ditch things we could try to make her more comfortable, but there was essentially nothing we could do to save her. I took Panda into the vet at 5 pm March 26. I brought her in her CT house, as she was still inside the tube. She eventually got to the top of the tube and into the petting zone, so I took her out. She started to bleed in my hand. The vet came in, listened to her breathing and heart and discussed with me our options. I mentioned I thought it was time for her to go, and my vet agreed quietly that this what was probably best.
We decided that they would sedate her before they actually put her asleep via a needle in the heart. I asked if I could hold her after the sedation, but not to be present for the actual injection. The vet brought Panda to me on a towel. Her labored breathing slowed, and she looked very peaceful there. Panda died in my hands without the injection. She went so peacefully. It was over.
My vet did not charge me for the appointment, nor did she charge me for the injection (we didn’t need it, but they decided they wouldn’t charge me even if she did need the injection.) Also, I asked how much a necropsy would be, if they were interested in seeing what went on on the inside with the diabetes, tumor and respiratory illness. Since Panda was a patient there for so long, and everyone at the vet cared about her and what happened to her, they offered me the necropsy free of charge. The only cost of this visit was the cost of her cremation, in which they would sprinkle her ashes at the same cemetery that Jigglypuff was sprinkled upon. Panda gets to rest eternally with Jigglypuff.
Rest in peace, my little Panda Bear. You taught me, and so many others including my vets so much about hamster health and wellness. You were such a fighter, a miracle hamster. You fought through your diabetes, you fought through your cancer, and you tried so hard to fight through your respiratory illness. I thought you would have gone long, long ago, many months ago. But your strength and desire to live has helped me be strong for you. I did everything humanly possible to keep you around for so long. You didn’t make your 1st birthday, but you were so close. But I knew, today, I knew it was just time. I couldn’t bear to see my little bear suffer any longer. Soon, I’ll get a phone call to learn about what really happened with you. Soon, my vets will gain so much knowledge about what diabetes does to little hamsters, and what sort of cancers hamsters can get. We learned so much about what medicines help diabetes, slow tumor growth, help blood coagulation… we learned so much, my Panda Bear. Thank you so much for being a wonderful, loving, hilarious, memorable, adorable baby girl. Go play with your sister Koala Bear, and your sister-in-love Jigglypuff over the rainbow bridge. I love you forever.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 GangstaGirl

GangstaGirl

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

Panda Bear was an amazing hamster, and I lack words to describe how your story shattered my heart. She was so strong, and so brave. You both fought every ailment like it was a war, a war for love. You did everything you could to keep blessed Panda alive, and you are the best hamster owner I have ever had the privilege to know. Panda is in a better place now, and she will never stop looking out for you. She wants to know that she still has a friend on this world, as she frolics with her lost sisters, she will never forget one special person that did everything she could to save her life: You.

Her tragic death is a reminder of how fragile life can be, and her joyful life reminds is that it's worth it. No matter what has to be done to keep that thin sheet of glass from breaking, it's worth it. Panda Bear was and is worth ever tear, every fearful night, every last goodbye. She was worth it. And even though she still passed, she passed in your arms, under your gaze, knowing that you didn't give up. Knowing that it wasn't your fault. Knowing that she was loved in this world, and will be loved in the next. You never lost hope in that brave little fighter, and she is so grateful for that.

Panda Bear

Ebony eyes gleaming fondly,
Dark chocolate fur, just within reach
Paws of pink, and ears that perk brightly,
all beam at the sound of your melodic speech.

Strong legs that carry from wheel to wheel,
run to the cage door when you arrive.
Long fingers touch fur, soft to feel.
She naps in your hand, happy to be alive.

One fateful day when she blinked back at you,
As if to say 'Thank you', for all that you do,
She took one last breath, and said her goodbyes,
She peacefully laid still, calling 'please don't cry...'

Edited by GangstaGirl, 27 March 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#3 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

Panda Bear

That's so beautiful GG :crybuckets:

I'm so sorry. I was on my toes, praying for the best and hoping your next status would be good news. My heart literally dropped when I heard of her passing. She fought so hard and so did you. You both are more brave than words can describe. She was such an inspiration to keep fighting and never give up. I hope you have closure in knowing she passed with you there loving her the whole time. She knows you stayed strong and fought along side her through it all. She loves you and always will. She is playing over the rainbow bridge with her sister and Jigglypuff, looking down on her mommy with love. Rest in peace sweet Panda Bear, you are an inspiration to all.

#4 Mika

Mika

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

First and Foremost, I am so sorry. :'(

Clare, You did an amazing job. It was always exciting to see your status and thread updates about Panda's wellbeing.
It was nice to see that she was still doing okay. It was also heartbreaking to hear of her state. You did all you
could for her, and that's one of the only things us owners can do. Send them off peacefully with a soft smile, thanking
them for the memories they've forever placed in our hearts. It may be sad to see her go, but do not wreck your health
either, alright ? You were probably the best mommy to Panda, the best person she had. She loved you to pieces the way
you did to her. I hope you are doing well.

Panda Bear was truly a fighter of a hamster. I remember signing on in China one night and just discovering the situation
much later than the others. I wished you both the best of luck and was overjoyed when I came back to hear the news that
her health was better than before. Than to have my own happiness come crashing to the ground. Though she wasn't my own
hamster, I feel a connection with her as I was in the same situation Clare was. Panda, I hope you've crossed the rainbow
bridge safely and have reunited with your sister. I hope you are in a world without pain now. Continue to look over your
owner and human mother now, alright ? Rest in Peace , Panda.

#5 Owned

Owned

Junior Hamster

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

That brought me to tears. I'm so sorry you lost her. She was such a little sweetie pie. Just looking at those videos you uploaded, the love you had for her was obvious. You did everything humanly possible for her, and then some. She was so lucky that you happened to be the one that got her.

#6 L&B's Mama

L&B's Mama

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

That is so sad :crybuckets: I am so sorry that Panda has passed away. She seemed like such a sweet hamster from everything I've seen, and I could tell that you loved her so much and that she loved you. She will be greatly missed around here :candle:

#7 missPixy

missPixy

Angelic Ham

• Advisor
  • 12,989 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

I love that picture of her running on the wheel with the millet bits
bouncing around her hocks!

keep in mind Clare that this little girl most likely would've died
not too long after her sister if you were like many other people
who get hamsters. instead, you educated yourself and learned
what you could do to help her. that's where all of us started out.
although she didn't quite make her 1st birthday, still, in hamster
years, she lived much longer (and healthier!) than most diabetic
dwarfs. she was approximately equivalent to a human in their
50s.

it was very relieving to hear that she was so weak, the anesthesia
alone was enough to help her cross over. I'm sure as she slipped
into sleep, she felt an amazing lightness from all the illness
losing its grip on her body. :cloud9:

you and Panda added a very important topic on hamsterhideout~~
many people will read about your journey with Panda as they
start out where you did~~ searching determinedly for information
about how to help their diabetic dwarf.

#8 anamaya76

anamaya76

Baby Hamster

• 22 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

I am very sorry and sad about the passings of little Panda Bear, she was a very strong and brave little hammy, and you were very strong and brave to helping her and dealing with all her health issues. I know how painfull it is to see our little ones unwell,to cheer at every sign of improovemnt, hoping they are going to be just fine, and then seeing them slowly getting ill again. I hade just this past january a similar situation with my little hammy Spiga, she developed a tumor which was removed and all went fine, then she got another one, and was also successfully removed. It looked like all it was solved, then she started sneezing and clikking with her nose and loosing fur, vet thought was a metastasy in her lungs but x-ray reveled lungs were cleare, but a root of a cheeck tooth was overgroing in her nostril and could not be operated; we gave her antinflammatoy and pain killers to make her confortable, I was so relieved it was not a tumor!! Then sudendly one day went to sleep and woke up and started spinning crazy in herself, she could not stop even if she wanted to, she could not drink, eat or do any thing but spin, she suddendly lost half of her wight, she looked ever so old, she was soo poorly, it broke my hart to see her like that, vet gave her diazepan which seamed to control the neurological problem but after only a day the diazepan was not working anymore, she started self arming and I was left with the same choice you had to take, helping her over the bridge. I was so devastated that I still cry about it, so you have all my hart and sympathy, it is an horrible and hard thing to loose a little fury baby in this way,is unfare for them and for us.
What it gave me some comfort was knowing that I did all what it was possible to help her and to so not let her suffer, and that she lived a happy life and she was loved at all the time, and she still is. Rest in this thought and know that little Panda Bear now is in a beautifull place, healthy and well, she is now capalble to eat any thing she like even the sweet things and to run as fast every where she wants, and one day when it will be your time she will come to great you as you step on the bridge.
Big hug
Play well at the bridge Panda Bear and say hello to our babies that are already there!!

#9 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your loss, and your post brought me to tears (it also probably doesn't help that I'm listening to TSO's Beethoven's Last Night). It is hard to lose that one special pet and she will be missed.

#10 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:01 AM

Oh dear. :sad:
I'm terribly sorry to hear about Panda, Tiny. We all knew how much you loved her, and how hard you and her BOTH fought in her times of pain and suffering. Know that even though she has passed, realize you did everything in your power to keep her happy, and as pain free as possible. In a situation like this, I don't know many people would expend so much time, energy and of course money trying to keep a hamster--a pet which people call impulse buys, petty and cheap animals--alive. You should be proud, you have a heart of gold.

She'll never truly leave you; she'll remain close to you in your heart and mind until you can meet up with her again. She wouldn't want to leave you behind in great sorrow, but to celebrate the times you spent with her. And the happiness she brought you, and the happiness YOU brought her.

If you ever need to talk, I am always available on Facebook/HH PM system. Whatever works best for you. I see my FB messages usually quicker from notifications on my phone, but regardless. If you need to drop a line, I am hear for you. <3

Chin up.
May little Panda Bear RIP. <3 :candle:

#11 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

Oh Tiny, I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. Panda was such a little trooper, she fought until the end. And we know you fought for her. My thoughts are truly with you, I feel so bad. :hug: :hug:

I have always loved the 7th photo down of Panda, she looks like she is posing just for the photo, such a pretty girl. This photo will be in my memories.

:rose: :rose: :rose:

#12 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:27 AM

Panda Bear was an amazing hamster, and I lack words to describe how your story shattered my heart. She was so strong, and so brave. You both fought every ailment like it was a war, a war for love. You did everything you could to keep blessed Panda alive, and you are the best hamster owner I have ever had the privilege to know. Panda is in a better place now, and she will never stop looking out for you. She wants to know that she still has a friend on this world, as she frolics with her lost sisters, she will never forget one special person that did everything she could to save her life: You.

Her tragic death is a reminder of how fragile life can be, and her joyful life reminds is that it's worth it. No matter what has to be done to keep that thin sheet of glass from breaking, it's worth it. Panda Bear was and is worth ever tear, every fearful night, every last goodbye. She was worth it. And even though she still passed, she passed in your arms, under your gaze, knowing that you didn't give up. Knowing that it wasn't your fault. Knowing that she was loved in this world, and will be loved in the next. You never lost hope in that brave little fighter, and she is so grateful for that.

Panda Bear

Ohh GG that was beautiful. thank you so much. We did fight, we fought so hard, every single time. Not that it was bad luck that she kept getting sick, but perhaps it was fate. It caused me to become stronger, and a better owner. For all my current fuzzies, and those in the future, they will have the best life possible because all that I learned from Panda. She is still in my heart and will always be <3

That's so beautiful GG :crybuckets:

I'm so sorry. I was on my toes, praying for the best and hoping your next status would be good news. My heart literally dropped when I heard of her passing. She fought so hard and so did you. You both are more brave than words can describe. She was such an inspiration to keep fighting and never give up. I hope you have closure in knowing she passed with you there loving her the whole time. She knows you stayed strong and fought along side her through it all. She loves you and always will. She is playing over the rainbow bridge with her sister and Jigglypuff, looking down on her mommy with love. Rest in peace sweet Panda Bear, you are an inspiration to all.

Thank you, it was a roller coaster for me as well. But I'm happy to know you were involved and affected by it- this community makes that happen. Everyone is concerned about everyone's hamsters! I do have closure, it's actually quite a relief to have been there with her when she passed. I can see her and all the others now, playing over the bridge, happy and fluffy <3

First and Foremost, I am so sorry. :'(

Clare, You did an amazing job. It was always exciting to see your status and thread updates about Panda's wellbeing.
It was nice to see that she was still doing okay. It was also heartbreaking to hear of her state. You did all you
could for her, and that's one of the only things us owners can do. Send them off peacefully with a soft smile, thanking
them for the memories they've forever placed in our hearts. It may be sad to see her go, but do not wreck your health
either, alright ? You were probably the best mommy to Panda, the best person she had. She loved you to pieces the way
you did to her. I hope you are doing well.

Panda Bear was truly a fighter of a hamster. I remember signing on in China one night and just discovering the situation
much later than the others. I wished you both the best of luck and was overjoyed when I came back to hear the news that
her health was better than before. Than to have my own happiness come crashing to the ground. Though she wasn't my own
hamster, I feel a connection with her as I was in the same situation Clare was. Panda, I hope you've crossed the rainbow
bridge safely and have reunited with your sister. I hope you are in a world without pain now. Continue to look over your
owner and human mother now, alright ? Rest in Peace , Panda.

Thank you Ninja, that means a lot to me that you were concerned even when you were away. I totally agree and allowed others to have a connection to her because of the connection I have with the people on this forum. It was quite a ride at the end, but looking back, I wouldn't have changed a thing (except, maybe, making better food choices way back when).. but it touches me that you were affected by Panda and what was happening with her. It makes me realize what true friends I have on here. Now that you are somewhat experiencing a similar situation, my heart, vibes, thoughts, go out to you. I know Truffle is important to you as Panda was to me, so if there is anything I can do <3

That brought me to tears. I'm so sorry you lost her. She was such a little sweetie pie. Just looking at those videos you uploaded, the love you had for her was obvious. You did everything humanly possible for her, and then some. She was so lucky that you happened to be the one that got her.

Thank you. I'm sorry it made you cry but her story is truly heart wrenching. I do have the solace that I did do everything possible, and now I can use the knowledge I now have to make the lives better for my current and future babies. I do believe that things happen for a reason- that Koala died suddenly, leaving Panda alone, and then Jigglypuff getting and dying of diabetes... those were bad situations but they lead me to the point where I had to worry about Panda, and then I was able to help save her life.. for a few months at least. I have that. :crybuckets:

That is so sad :crybuckets: I am so sorry that Panda has passed away. She seemed like such a sweet hamster from everything I've seen, and I could tell that you loved her so much and that she loved you. She will be greatly missed around here :candle:

Thank you! Yeah, she was very loved... she had such a personality! She was so happy when she was more healthy! And so photogenic. Oh how I miss her :/

#13 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:38 AM

I love that picture of her running on the wheel with the millet bits
bouncing around her hocks!

keep in mind Clare that this little girl most likely would've died
not too long after her sister if you were like many other people
who get hamsters. instead, you educated yourself and learned
what you could do to help her. that's where all of us started out.
although she didn't quite make her 1st birthday, still, in hamster
years, she lived much longer (and healthier!) than most diabetic
dwarfs. she was approximately equivalent to a human in their
50s.

it was very relieving to hear that she was so weak, the anesthesia
alone was enough to help her cross over. I'm sure as she slipped
into sleep, she felt an amazing lightness from all the illness
losing its grip on her body. :cloud9:

you and Panda added a very important topic on hamsterhideout~~
many people will read about your journey with Panda as they
start out where you did~~ searching determinedly for information
about how to help their diabetic dwarf.

I agree, I was so surprised and happy to be in the fight against diabetes for hamsters. While it took a long time (stressful too), I do think the medicine at least stabilized her and her diabetes. Whether the drugs caused the reproductive tumor... that's a different story. But she was no longer drinking water excessively or carrying around a full bladder in the last months of her life. I wish I could combine all my topics, as they are a bit scattered, but I think we learned some interesting information about the course of her illnesses, and I know my vet is now more educated on diabetic dwarfs. In fact, she will be presenting her topic on "Diabetes in hamsters" to some other vets around the state- since more and more are seeing diabetic hamsters.

MP, thank you so much for your patient guidance of me through this process. I literally could not have done it without you. I would get advice from my vet, and I'd run home and check it out with you first- because you truly are an expert. Now that I know about proper diet, I hope to never encounter diabetes again, but if it should arise, I am armed and ready and it's all thanks to you.

I too am so relieved that she passed without the inter-cardial injection. I actually found it to be cathartic that she died in my hands. I saw her last breath. It was sad, but it was beautiful. ANd, she looked so peaceful.. She looked better than she did when she was still conscious and gasping for breath. That's all I could ever ask for- a pleasant, final memory of my Panda Bear.

I am very sorry and sad about the passings of little Panda Bear, she was a very strong and brave little hammy, and you were very strong and brave to helping her and dealing with all her health issues. I know how painfull it is to see our little ones unwell,to cheer at every sign of improovemnt, hoping they are going to be just fine, and then seeing them slowly getting ill again. I hade just this past january a similar situation with my little hammy Spiga, she developed a tumor which was removed and all went fine, then she got another one, and was also successfully removed. It looked like all it was solved, then she started sneezing and clikking with her nose and loosing fur, vet thought was a metastasy in her lungs but x-ray reveled lungs were cleare, but a root of a cheeck tooth was overgroing in her nostril and could not be operated; we gave her antinflammatoy and pain killers to make her confortable, I was so relieved it was not a tumor!! Then sudendly one day went to sleep and woke up and started spinning crazy in herself, she could not stop even if she wanted to, she could not drink, eat or do any thing but spin, she suddendly lost half of her wight, she looked ever so old, she was soo poorly, it broke my hart to see her like that, vet gave her diazepan which seamed to control the neurological problem but after only a day the diazepan was not working anymore, she started self arming and I was left with the same choice you had to take, helping her over the bridge. I was so devastated that I still cry about it, so you have all my hart and sympathy, it is an horrible and hard thing to loose a little fury baby in this way,is unfare for them and for us.
What it gave me some comfort was knowing that I did all what it was possible to help her and to so not let her suffer, and that she lived a happy life and she was loved at all the time, and she still is. Rest in this thought and know that little Panda Bear now is in a beautifull place, healthy and well, she is now capalble to eat any thing she like even the sweet things and to run as fast every where she wants, and one day when it will be your time she will come to great you as you step on the bridge.
Big hug
Play well at the bridge Panda Bear and say hello to our babies that are already there!!

Awwww I had no idea about Spiga, what a sad story. But it sounds to me that you were just as strong and willing to fight as I was for Panda. Hamster tumors are crazy things.. I chose not to have Panda's removed, but it's interesting to learn that it can be done successfully! But those things do tend to spread, and how fast in their little bodies. That's sad about how she finally went down- it sounds like she was going crazy from the pain and could do nothing but spin around to take her mind off of it. Oh that's so sad :/ but like with Panda, there should be no question that you did the right thing. Spiga is much better off.. and I hope she met Panda on the other side!

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your loss, and your post brought me to tears (it also probably doesn't help that I'm listening to TSO's Beethoven's Last Night). It is hard to lose that one special pet and she will be missed.

Well thank you. Pretty much anything right now sets me off into tears hehe. A sad song, or tv show. With time I'll get over it. But thank you for your kind words.

#14 tinypixie

tinypixie

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:54 AM

Oh dear. :sad:
I'm terribly sorry to hear about Panda, Tiny. We all knew how much you loved her, and how hard you and her BOTH fought in her times of pain and suffering. Know that even though she has passed, realize you did everything in your power to keep her happy, and as pain free as possible. In a situation like this, I don't know many people would expend so much time, energy and of course money trying to keep a hamster--a pet which people call impulse buys, petty and cheap animals--alive. You should be proud, you have a heart of gold.

She'll never truly leave you; she'll remain close to you in your heart and mind until you can meet up with her again. She wouldn't want to leave you behind in great sorrow, but to celebrate the times you spent with her. And the happiness she brought you, and the happiness YOU brought her.

If you ever need to talk, I am always available on Facebook/HH PM system. Whatever works best for you. I see my FB messages usually quicker from notifications on my phone, but regardless. If you need to drop a line, I am hear for you. <3

Chin up.
May little Panda Bear RIP. <3 :candle:

Thank you, Jordyn. I have encountered people who cannot understand the love I have for hamsters or all the time/energy/money I spend on their health and well being. But it sort of says something about a person who can't get past the fact that "it's just a hamster"! Many many people out there couldn't care less about animals or the environment, and it actually takes a certain kind of person to actually care and to actually try to do something about it. I feel like this is a community of those special people who do care.

Oh Tiny, I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. Panda was such a little trooper, she fought until the end. And we know you fought for her. My thoughts are truly with you, I feel so bad. :hug: :hug:

I have always loved the 7th photo down of Panda, she looks like she is posing just for the photo, such a pretty girl. This photo will be in my memories.

:rose: :rose: :rose:

Ohh thank you hammyfriend. That means a lot. we did fight. And we were winning for so long! I couldn't have done it without help from this forum. I love that picture of her too! That was taken back when she was... very plump, and that picture always tickles me because it sort of looks like she was sucking in her fat and posing :D

In case anyone was wondering, we got the post mortem results back about Panda bear.

She actually had an ovarian tumor, and there was a lot of blood in her uterus as well. That's what caused the bleeding. Then, they inspected her lungs to see about the labored breathing- she had many teeny tiny blood clots sprinkled all over her lungs. The vet said she thought perhaps inside those blood clots were tiny cancerous cells. She believes the reproductive tumor spread to the lungs. It wouldn't have been long for Panda if we had let her try to keep going. I'm glad we didn't.

The vet didn't have much to say about the organs involved in her diabetes! And that's a good thing- they didn't look abnormal, so perhaps the Metformin really was working for Panda bear!

Our last embrace:
Posted Image

Panda dies in my hands peacefully:
Posted Image

Edited by tinypixiexoxo, 30 March 2012 - 01:55 AM.

#15 GangstaGirl

GangstaGirl

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:11 AM

ohhh... :crybuckets: Those last pictures made me cry <3 She looks peaceful there. Rest In Peace, most beloved Panda. :candle: