Photo

New Dwarf, PLEASE help tame her

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 R.I.P. Nibbles

R.I.P. Nibbles

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:41 AM

I got a new little white female campbells dwarf hamster with ruby eyes, she is a pretty nervous girl. Very young, she acts normal and does normal hammie things, i cannot pick her up because she freaks out and runs around so i dont do that because its cruel, i can however place my hand on the floor and she crawls on, i lift her out and she happily wanders around on my palm, but if i even GENTLY put my finger on her back to pet her she freaks out put then when my finger is gone she wanders on my palm, i know this has been quite a lenghty topic but i just really need awnsers to the following 2 questiobs,
1. How do i get her to let me pick her up
2. How do i get her to let me pet her.
Thanks for any replies,
Thanks, apreciate it

#2 Hamster Slave

Hamster Slave

Baby Hamster

• 18 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:42 AM

For getting her to let you pick her up you should try to put your hand in the cage so she could get used to you and give her treats. Not sure if my advice will help

Edited by Hamster Slave, 27 March 2012 - 06:43 AM.

#3 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

A way to help get her used to her back being touched is offer her food and pet her while she is eating. All hamsters that I have seen have held still while eating and not minded being pet. Another way is when she is walking from hand to hand put your thumb and index finger together when she is about half way through.

#4 Apples

Apples

Baby Hamster

• 44 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:44 AM

If she is especially skittish then I honestly suggest only petting her AFTER she is done eating the treat when she is relaxed, otherwise she will associate treats with fear.

Hand feed her daily so she gets used to your smell and realizes you aren't something to be afraid of. You can also put strips of say toilet paper or tissue paper in your shirt and then put them in her cage to get your smell in there.

If you just got her, then give it time. You can also get a separate plastic bin and add in her cage's bedding and use it as a play/taming area. Add in a wheel and just play with her for 15 minutes a day.

Edited by Apples, 31 March 2012 - 01:45 AM.

#5 Tide

Tide

Baby Hamster

• 12 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hi :) I'm still gaining my winter whites trust (he's a little bit shy) and he doesn't mind being pet. What I would do (if she's comfortable climbing into your hands like you say) is get her walking on your hands, one after the other. And then curve your hands into a (loose!) circle. This will give her a chance to get used to the feeling of your fingers rubbing across her back. It might freak her out. When she's done, she's done. Put her up and let her rest. I also taught my hammie to stand so he is happy to see my fingers over his head instead of freaked out, which really helped me to be able to pet him.