Photo

Hairless rat mother raising baby robo dwarf hamsters

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 diarat

diarat

Baby Hamster

• 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

Video of Ren and the hamster babies

I know that this isn't ideal, but here is my story....

Someone had listed pinkie hamsters on craigslist as "free snake snaks." I have rats and really don't know much about hamsters, but I wanted to save the poor lil things. I contacted the guy and before I knew it I was headed home with some imfant hamsters and no idea what I was going to do with them!

My hairless rat had a litter of pups that I was able to wean early at 3.5 weeks. I rubbed the hamster babies all over the rat pups to catch their scent. I don't know if it was luck, praying or a combination... But, my rat mother was cleaning, feeding and sitting on these babies within 5 minutes. Its been nearly a week and they are all fat and healthy.

I do plan to wean these babies right when I can and get them out of her cage, I do know how mean rats can be as I have owned them for over ten years. But in this case, my girl Ren was an angel.

I am hoping by sharing this I can help some people that might run into similar problems, and end up with hamster orphans. I really really don't recommend anyone does it without trying to find a hamster mother first though. This is a dangerous situation for the hamster babies, and only used in an EMERGENCY!

#2 Lucas

Lucas

Ninja Ham

• Moderator Team
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:12 AM

OH MY GOD.
....LIKE.

This just made my life, that is so adorable! :lovestruck: Who says animals cannot feel...yeeps.
That's just a strong indication of their compassion, and willingness to care for their young; even if the young are not theirs! ;D

So freaking cute.

BTW, I don't think those are robos. Heh. The size of the pups is about the size of my adult robo, LOL! They look more like syrians! :) Very nice coloring on them so far, too! Awe, I hope everything goes well with this! That was so compassionate of you, and so kind of your rat to take them in like that!

#3 Genevie

Genevie

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:38 AM

One of the most heart-warming things I've ever seen <3 Even my mum, who hates rodents!, thought it was sweet :) I agree with Jordyn, they look like Syrians to me. I'd say mottled/banded sables. But all the same, this is a lovely story. Your gorgeous ratty is literally a live-saver, well done Ren! And well done you too :D

Edited by Genevie, 27 March 2012 - 02:02 AM.

#4 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

BLESS YOUR HEART, and the momma rattie's heart too! :lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

Humans raising a litter of infant hammies ranges from difficult to impossible, this is such a great solution! I am so glad you thought of this and that you went out of your way to rescue those little hamsters. It was likely one of the only things that could have saved them- a ratty serogate mother.

Interesting fur patterns on those little fur babies, really cute.

The ratties are really sweet too!

I would love to hear about how these babies and mother progress, as I have never heard of this before please keep us updated! It is good that you know a lot about rats, so you can watch out for any signs of danger. This has just brightened my week! :goodvibes: :slaphappy:

#5 diarat

diarat

Baby Hamster

• 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

Aw thank your guys. The guy I got them from said they were robo dwarf hamsters, and I know nothing about them, so I am sure you two are right!

#6 Chocolate Hamsters

Chocolate Hamsters

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:04 AM

GOOD GRIEF, THATS ADORABLE!
You were so nice to take the little babies in, and I hope they all lead
brilliant little lives <3!
:lovestruck:

#7 Elyse

Elyse

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:09 AM

That is really cute and it is really great that your rat took in those hamsters.

#8 emilystar

emilystar

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:18 AM

That is so cute! I can see her motherly instinct kicking in :) And her babies are adorable too :)

#9 R.I.P. Nibbles

R.I.P. Nibbles

Baby Hamster

• 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:30 AM

You are literaly an amazing person:) unlike the heartless man who was willing to let them die>:( i hope you realize that you have saved all those lives:) they would all be DEAD if you didnt take matters into ur own hands, well done

#10 Christmas_hamster

Christmas_hamster

Super Hero Ham

• Off-Duty Crew
  • 21,332 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

This is truly spectacular. I am left just about speechless! Rats are simply amazing critters.

Just so you know, Syrians (which is what they do seem to be) are solitary so once they reach about 8 weeks they will need to be separated.

#11 CaliforniaCole

CaliforniaCole

Hamster Clone

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

Amazing! And so cute! <3

And yup... Those are Syrians. You can tell by their faces.

Edited by CanineCavyLover, 28 March 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#12 L&B's Mama

L&B's Mama

Rookie Hamster

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:06 AM

This is the sweetest thing I have ever seen. Kudos to you :lovestruck:

#13 SyrianPumpkin

SyrianPumpkin

Full-Fledged Hamster

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:55 AM

THAT. IS. SO. SWEET.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lovestruck:

#14 hammyfriend

hammyfriend

Veteran Hamster

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

I am sooo curious, may I ask: how are the little fur babies and momma doing? :lovestruck:

Edited by hammyfriend, 04 April 2012 - 09:55 AM.